HND-LHR

Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Meh
HND-LHR

I normally get the NRT-LHR flight but the price has spiked the day I travel. Looking at the HND flight and the Indian-esque departure time of 6.30am. Has anybody got this flight in CW? What meals are served? What time does one have to leave for the airport - I will be staying in Shinjuku and plan to get the bus.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by stevie
I normally get the NRT-LHR flight but the price has spiked the day I travel. Looking at the HND flight and the Indian-esque departure time of 6.30am. Has anybody got this flight in CW? What meals are served? What time does one have to leave for the airport - I will be staying in Shinjuku and plan to get the bus.
I did this after a month's secondment to Tokyo office so had too much luggage for me to manage the bus and did a taxi instead. You should be able to get the first bus, leaves Shinjuku Station at 04:45 getting in at 05:15 which should be fine for your departure (but not much leeway in case of traffic hold ups.)
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/pla...es/index/3/214

You may be able to get a bus from where you are staying details here: http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus.../shinjuku.html

For the life of me I can't remember what the food or drink service was! There was minimal food in the lounge, they were only starting to bring it out when we had to leave.
Not much help on the service on board but hope bus works for you.
Ed
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
I would recommend staying up late, not going to bed, and going straight to the plane. Financial Times columnist Tyler Brl is a fan of the HND flight:

"While I normally make my way between Europe and Japan on ANA, Finnair or Swiss, it’s hard to beat the 6am departure on BA from Tokyo Haneda (much closer to the city centre) to Heathrow. You are almost guaranteed to pass out before the aircraft gains altitude over Tokyo Bay and, with a bit of luck, not to wake up until you’re over the English Channel.

Armed with 11 hours of solid sleep, a day of meetings wasn’t a problem until the 3pm dip, when I was struggling to pay attention to a presentation from colleagues. A flat white and small sugar hit from our caf down the street soon put things right and by 5pm I was back in the game."

- http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d2b66b66-2...44feab7de.html
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
When I took this I stayed in an airport hotel the night before; I had been staying in the Conrad and didn't want to take any risks.

Meal service from memory is breakfast shortly after departure and lunch around two-thirds of the way through.

LTN Phobia might also be able to help as she travels on this quite a bit.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:22 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Mrs V10 and I did this trip last year, but actually moved down to one of the hotels close to the airport for the night prior to the departure as we didn't think the earliest bus departure left enough leeway in the event of any unforeseen problems. We'd also been staying in Shinjuku for a couple of nights whilst in Tokyo.

Strangely I can't really recall the meal service either. I blame the early start.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Meh
Thanks for the reply. I am actually staying at the Hilton by Shinjuku and the bus pick up starts at 4.25am gettign there at 5.15am. This may be cutting it tight?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I think it is, yes.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Silver, Accor Silver, FB Ivory, Miles&More
Have done the HND-LHR run a couple of times in the last 6 months in CW: breakfast immediately after take off, and lunch around 2 and a half hours before arrival. On the plus side: the lounge is very quiet at that time & actually quite roomy. Was staying in Ginza, and took a taxi at 4:30; the drive to the airport is a breeze: 15 to 20 minutes. In Korea & Japan at the moment, and booked on the NRT-LHR next Wednesday!!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
Thanks for the reply. I am actually staying at the Hilton by Shinjuku and the bus pick up starts at 4.25am gettign there at 5.15am. This may be cutting it tight?
Originally Posted by stifle
I think it is, yes.
I'm normally a NRT man, but last year did exactly this from the Hilton. It was tight but not uncomfortably so - I have a feeling we didn't even bother with the lounge, which as noted elsewhere is nothing special. If there were unexpected traffic problems (unlikely at 4.30 am), I guess it could get a bit hairy....
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am pretty much a regular on the HND flight and despite that, I wouldn't risk it myself, due to the risk of unexpected traffic jam etc.

You should catch a taxi, although it isn't exactly cheap.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH *S
HND-LHR

I used this service last summer and stayed the night before at the Tokyu hotel at Domestic T2. Although the HND website says the free shuttle bus to the international terminal doesn't start until 04:54 (a bit close for comfort) the hotel were advertising two earlier departures (sorry don't recall the exact time!) the second of which was more than adequate to arrive in good time for the flight.

I echo the sentiments that the food was only just being put out in the lounge, and the JAL FCL doesn't open until around boarding time!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have only caught this flight once, but it was great! Stay up all night - thus avoiding a night's cost in a hotel, especially if paying yourself - shower in the JAL lounge (this may require talking nicely to the staff there) - and then sleep on the plane, which is European overnight. ^
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I like this flight and prefer HND over NRT anytime. Usually staying at the IC Tokyo Bay or somewhere in Yokohama - gets me within a 30 mins taxi ride, allowing for a short night sleep, too.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Doctor
I echo the sentiments that the food was only just being put out in the lounge, and the JAL FCL doesn't open until around boarding time!
That hasn't been a very big issue as the flight is delayed most of the time.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
We got a cab from our hotel at Shinbashi to the monorail station at Hamamatsucho. First train is 0458 and no traffic issues to worry about. If you're the sort of person that likes to get to the airport hours earlier it is cutting it a little tight but if you're more laid back it is perfectly do-able. The airport is very quiet at that time of the morning so no queues or crowds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.