Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Mumbai International Terminal (15 Jan 14): Change to lounge

New Mumbai International Terminal (15 Jan 14): Change to lounge

Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
Used the fast lane and GVK lounge yesterday prior to the BA198 (daytime BOM-LHR). Observations:
1. Fast track very quiet, no preceding passengers at either security or immigration.
2. There was a dedicated immigration agent serving Business/First (although no First on yesterday's 198).
3. Although fast track very quiet, I saw the immigration officer turn away non fast track passengers; sending them back to the very long non fast track queue.
4. Immigration was the first point at which I was asked to show the boarding card; I could have passed through fast track security with non fast track status.
5. The GVK lounge was a surprise after being accustomed to BA galleries lounges; quiet, clean, fresh, attentive staff and Moet willingly offered.
6. On leaving GVK for the gate, outside the lounge a BA employee advised that although shown as only 15 mins late on the screen the actual delay would be longer and she recommended us returning to the lounge and she would come and get us (and other passengers) when boarding commenced - which she did.
7. Other GVK user appeared to be a small number of Jet Airlines passengers for middle eastern services and a few for Jet's LHR service, timed to leave 5 mins after the 198.
8. Overall, passing through BOM/GVK was a very pleasant and stress free experience.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: TK *G
Thanks @GateLouse2 for your report.

Do you or someone else know if OWS travelling in Y would get the same treatment?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:59 am

How early can BA passengers check in and proceed to the lounge at BOM? Is there something like a max two hours before departure rule?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:10 am

toctoc,
Cannot be categoric but I feel it unlikely you would be turned away by fast track immigration if you were proceeding from the separate dedicated fast track security screening; the two individuals I saw turned away had left the non fast track immigration queue to try their luck at fast track, observed by the immigration officer.
SteveF,
the invitation card for GVK states that lounge access will be allowed four hours before scheduled flight time.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by GateLouse2
SteveF,
the invitation card for GVK states that lounge access will be allowed four hours before scheduled flight time.
Thanks for that GateLouse2. Which reminds me about the severe gate louse infestation at LHR on the outbound. One guy was actually blocking the entrance to the gate and had to be asked to move (by my wife ) so that we could board. First world problems and all that .
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by SteveF
How early can BA passengers check in and proceed to the lounge at BOM? Is there something like a max two hours before departure rule?
Security wouldn't let me into the Terminal until 3.5hrs before my flight in November (that was when check-in opened), but I didn't have a boarding pass - if you can OLCI and print one off, you may have more luck.

Pilot37
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Security wouldn't let me into the Terminal until 3.5hrs before my flight in November (that was when check-in opened), but I didn't have a boarding pass - if you can OLCI and print one off, you may have more luck.
Thanks, I should be able to print them in the hotel lounge. I doubt that we'll be there that early anyway. How long from the Gate of India to the airport at about 9-10 AM?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:53 am

We had pre printed boarding passes which caused no access problems to the terminal at at - 3 hours 45 mins.
If coming from the Taj Mahal Palace I would allow two hours, although at that time of day you should be able to do it in less
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:58 am

If coming from the Taj Mahal Palace I would allow two hours, although at that time of day you should be able to do it in less
Cheers!

Edit: Will Saturday make a difference? The whole population of Mumbai and beyond seem to congregate around the Gateway and the Taj at the weekend.

Last edited by SteveF; Feb 23, 2016 at 9:37 am
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I echo the report from GateLouse, it's a very good airport experience, I went through last month and the security was a breeze, I was the only one, immigration however was a good bit slower and the queues were long (even for the business and first), this was the evening flight however so perhaps the airport is busier in general.

The GVK lounge was lovely. I was travelling CW but as a OWE my BP was stamped as to give access to a roped off area of the lounge for first customer where there was a table service dining facility and some lounge chairs and drinks brought to you. The food was actually very good. I didn't take a pic of the menu unfortunately but got some pics of my meal:

EDIT - can only attach one image per post it seems... See below.
Amuse-bouche
Attached Images  
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:12 am

Main - vegetarian burger
Attached Images  
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:13 am

Desert - strawberry cheesecake
Attached Images  
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:59 am

We had pre printed boarding passes which caused no access problems to the terminal at at - 3 hours 45 mins.
Printed the boarding passes in the hotel lounge and headed for the airport at 09:00 (quiet day on the roads). Arrived 45 minutes later, so 3.5 hours before the flight. No issues at all getting to check-in desks, which were most impressive; sitting on sofas while someone else did the job for us (the only time that ever happened to me before was at Bogota in about 1990 when my company was worried that I may get shot or kidnapped if I waited in line ). Straight through fast track and into the lounge in about five minutes.

The lounge itself was very nice; lots of comfortable places to sit, nice view of the planes and the food area looked nice, as did the bar, but we didn't fancy anything to eat having had a massive breakfast in the Taj a little earlier. Then came the fun part...

I went to the gents; two cubicles and four or so urinals (I didn't bother counting), so capacity of up to six depending on the nature of the visit . Clean and fine. Then my wife went to the ladies and came back about 15 minutes later. Beyond the entrance door there was one cubicle , one wash basin and a number (five I think) of not very happy ladies waiting in line. Oh and an attendant who went into the cubicle after every visit for an inspection . Due to the large queue there was not room to do whatever else ladies do in rest rooms, but I think has something to do with hair and make-up or something . So, unless there were other female facilities in the lounge that she didn't find (and the attendant said that there were no others), an entirely bonkers arrangement in a brand new airport lounge. How does something like that get through the planning process .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.