Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Request: Cabin Hand Sanitiser

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by kexbox
Even if you have to open the door after washing your hands, not knowing if the one before you acted the same way in terms of washing hands - properly?

I appreciate an additional hand sanitiser in those situations.
I find that taps and door knobs are pretty much disgusting. What's the point of opening a tap with your hands dirty, wash them and then touch the now contaminated tap to close it?

Same goes for door knobs, specially when you consider the amount of people that use the toilet and then don't wash their hands. Yuck.

Solution for that? Wash your hands and use a paper towel to get them dry. Then use a paper towel to close the tap (no need for this on a plane, of course) and open the door. Keep the door open with your foot and throw the paper towel in the bin.

Problem solved. No need for hand sanitiser which is pretty much useless anyway.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by mario
I find that taps and door knobs are pretty much disgusting. What's the point of opening a tap with your hands dirty, wash them and then touch the now contaminated tap to close it?

Same goes for door knobs, specially when you consider the amount of people that use the toilet and then don't wash their hands. Yuck.

Solution for that? Wash your hands and use a paper towel to get them dry. Then use a paper towel to close the tap (no need for this on a plane, of course) and open the door. Keep the door open with your foot and throw the paper towel in the bin.

Problem solved. No need for hand sanitiser which is pretty much useless anyway.
One issue is that this 'guidance' on how to hygienically wash hands should be conveyed to the passengers. Maybe it should be printed as part of the 'Flight Safety Card'!

Alternatively, BA could just instal hand sanitiser dispensers in each cabin. These can be infrared/touchless and dispense foam instead of a gel. It's a very simple solution for crew and passengers alike and, at the very least, indicates that the airline cares about hygiene.

Who, on this thread, will admit they don't wash their hands after using the toilet?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Perhaps the amenity bag should contain disposable gloves for the neurotic and phobic? They then need never touch BA cutlery, seats, handles or anything?

Indeed, should such people not travel with their own dispenser of gloves, as clearly transit through an airport could be severely life threatening. Change gloves after bag-drop, security, lounge (at least 3 times), loo (every time), shuttle/bus/escalator, aircraft steps. Probably 12 pairs before you start cleaning the seat, tray and IFE screen.

OMG - the Safety Card!!! That's been handled by someone. And so has HighLife. More swabs or gloves ...

You are all going to die. Accept the fact, it's caused by being born.

Originally Posted by Moriarty
Who, on this thread, will admit they don't wash their hands after using the toilet?
I usually do. Have you seen the pax in CW these days? Old and incontinent, young and drunk, middle-aged and vague? Terrifying.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
My mother in law is batty about hand sanitiser. I am not. She is ill a lot more than I am. Big sample size, but good enough for me! I see the FDA are requiring manufacturers of such products to prove to them that it is more effective than soap and water, and they have again expressed concerns about long term health problems from using them.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

20% percentage of the population don't......that'll include those who prepare airline food on the ground.

Having hand sanitiser dispensers available doesn't mean people will use them.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
At the QR head office building in DOH there are hand sanitisers in the corridors. They were installed following the bird flu panic!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I usually do.
Usually?

Where's the raised eyebrow smiley when I need it?!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually?

Where's the raised eyebrow smiley when I need it?!
I know where it's been
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
At the QR head office building in DOH there are hand sanitisers in the corridors. They were installed following the bird flu panic!
The client I'm currently working on REQUIRES people to hold the handrails when using the stairs due to H&S.

They installed sanitiser dispenser on each floor next to the staircase. Needless to say, almost no one uses it.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

The client I'm currently working on REQUIRES people to hold the handrails when using the stairs due to H&S.
Were you also required to reverse your car into the parking bay as well? If not, suggest it to them. It will make you very popular with a H&S conscious client.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: BA soon to be Silver

Nobody seems to have mentioned face masks yet......
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:09 am

Were you also required to reverse your car into the parking bay as well? If not, suggest it to them. It will make you very popular with a H&S conscious client.
Yes, that is also one of the H&S requirements.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Perhaps the amenity bag should contain disposable gloves for the neurotic and phobic? They then need never touch BA cutlery, seats, handles or anything?
and a BA branded sterile suit - who needs F PJs!

http://www.keison.co.uk/msa_oilsuit.shtml
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's a bloody miracle that I've survived so many decades without using sanitiser, a face mask or a paper suit. Perhaps I should get out of my oxygen tent more often?
Originally Posted by MrHeckles
Nobody seems to have mentioned face masks yet......
Sir!! Sir!! I did
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: BA soon to be Silver

Begging your pardon T8191

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.