Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Baggage issues
Can I check my luggage in before my positioning flight?
It isn't guaranteed. You can certainly try, and many FTers have done this without issue, provided the longhaul sector is in Club World or First, or you have at least Silver/Sapphire status. But there is a risk the agent won't let you do this before the first leg. See this post for more options and ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27654059-post328.html
Print Wikipost

Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
In short, based on your experience, would you dare do it again?
If all other things were equal, I wouldn't choose to do it there. But if I had to, I would not be overly unhappy with the situation.

In particular, I now know that I should get going as soon as the aircraft arrives, in case the transfer point is not open. In addition, I now know about the fast track lane at security (which turned out to be irrelevant for my trip). And I would repeat one constant piece of advice: tell the crew that you're coming back to London with them, so that they know to expect you back. (And of course, make sure you say hello when you are back.)
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:56 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I'm visiting HAM soon for the first time so was consulting the guide, seems the terminal map link is out of date - I believe the current one is https://www.hamburg-airport.de/media...ngrafik-CM.pdf
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
I am taking the advice of C-W-S (and others) from this excellent forum and trying my first LHR-SVG SVG-LHR back to back. Just wanted to check I am 100% on top of things :

Outbound is BA0744 (3/11/2015) arriving 11:10 on PNR#1
Inbound is BA0745 (3/11/2015) departing 11:45 on PNR#2, as start of longer trip south.

Layover at LHR before continuation to SIN on BA11 is generous, so should be able to stash bags at LHR if I cannot check them in as LHR-SIN before the outbound to SVG, though I've not had an issue with this previously on the two ex OSL trips I've undertaken.

I will have cabin bag LHR-SVG and SVG-LHR

anything else for my checklist ?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by PWOZUK
I am taking the advice of C-W-S (and others) from this excellent forum and trying my first LHR-SVG SVG-LHR back to back. Just wanted to check I am 100% on top of things :

Outbound is BA0744 (3/11/2015) arriving 11:10 on PNR#1
Inbound is BA0745 (3/11/2015) departing 11:45 on PNR#2, as start of longer trip south.

Layover at LHR before continuation to SIN on BA11 is generous, so should be able to stash bags at LHR if I cannot check them in as LHR-SIN before the outbound to SVG, though I've not had an issue with this previously on the two ex OSL trips I've undertaken.

I will have cabin bag LHR-SVG and SVG-LHR

You will be just fine. SVG and BGO are bullet-proof (I do not like to say idiot-proof).

A nice agent should have no problem checking your bags for LHR-SIN before your LHR-SVG-LHR

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It seems OK to me. Obviously you will have your BA App in full working order to get the return boarding pass, and if that doesn't work print at home or the LHR lounge. So long as you get the check in stage done then someone in LHR or SVG will be able to print the boarding pass, however. And of course you should go HBO all the way, but you were expecting that.

You'll have about 20 minutes seating by the gate, so unless you have some spare Krone, I'd get a bottle of drink from Pret (or whereever) before departure, you don't have a liquids problem on that sector and SVG airport refreshment is regarded as extortionate even by Norwegians. Also I wouldn't necessarily rush to get back onboard, they sometimes hold people on the gangway for a few minutes before on to the aircraft. But otherwise.....

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
You will be just fine. SVG and BGO are bullet-proof (I do not like to say idiot-proof).
I'm less constrained: bullet proof and idiot proof.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:52 pm

Take care to check that you enter security at LHR using your LHR-SVG boarding pass and not the one for LHR-SIN or you may have issues later in the day.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:30 am

Just before I book any comments appreciated. Looking at doing a back to back at AMS in order to pick up an ex-Europe flight AMS>LHR>HKG (which is already booked).

So looking at this thread it appears that an AMS turnaround is about 5 mins which I can believe having been there. So no probs with that.

More of concern is the weather as this will be in Feb. If the outbound flight is delayed so will the inbound (so at that point BA's problem). If however the outbound is cancelled then I assume so will the inbound. Would BA then allow me to hop onto the LHR > HKG?

Has anyone had this where an outbound (and hence inbound) back to back been cancelled?

(I'm happy with not taking the luggage as it will either be checked in at LHR straight to HKG before positioning flight or put in left luggage if BA give hassle)

PS have done Ex Europe run before from Dublin but always left couple of hours spare at DUB to see the m-i-l

Last edited by Fonly; Oct 30, 2015 at 10:36 am Reason: Addition of PS
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:20 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Fonly
Just before I book any comments appreciated. Looking at doing a back to back at AMS in order to pick up an ex-Europe flight AMS>LHR>HKG (which is already booked).

So looking at this thread it appears that an AMS turnaround is about 5 mins which I can believe having been there. So no probs with that.

More of concern is the weather as this will be in Feb. If the outbound flight is delayed so will the inbound (so at that point BA's problem). If however the outbound is cancelled then I assume so will the inbound. Would BA then allow me to hop onto the LHR > HKG?

Has anyone had this where an outbound (and hence inbound) back to back been cancelled?

(I'm happy with not taking the luggage as it will either be checked in at LHR straight to HKG before positioning flight or put in left luggage if BA give hassle)

PS have done Ex Europe run before from Dublin but always left couple of hours spare at DUB to see the m-i-l
There was an example of this somewhere on the forum in the summer. I can't remember the exact thread, but the person was allowed to start their journey in London.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:32 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Here it is. Apologies it wasn't actually in the summer, but reposted in the summer in another thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ss-w-pics.html
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ziz
Here it is. Apologies it wasn't actually in the summer, but reposted in the summer in another thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ss-w-pics.html
OK thanks for that, although I wont be going First nor am I Gold. (Mere J & Silver).

I just wondering if the ear ache from the SO is worth cutting it fine in case it does go wrong!

I might bottle it yet!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
OK thanks for that, although I wont be going First nor am I Gold. (Mere J & Silver).

I just wondering if the ear ache from the SO is worth cutting it fine in case it does go wrong!

I might bottle it yet!
As a GGL who had outbound and inbound LCY-AMS-LCY cancelled the night before a LH sector, I was forced to re book the following morning to do LHR-AMS-LHR with no room for negotiation. I didn't get an answer from anyone what would happen if those flights proved to be physically impossible to do. It isn't simple for them to reissue the ticket starting from LHR so I wouldn't go in expecting them to be cooperative.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
As a GGL who had outbound and inbound LCY-AMS-LCY cancelled the night before a LH sector, I was forced to re book the following morning to do LHR-AMS-LHR with no room for negotiation. I didn't get an answer from anyone what would happen if those flights proved to be physically impossible to do. It isn't simple for them to reissue the ticket starting from LHR so I wouldn't go in expecting them to be cooperative.
But it is easy for them to protect the remaining itinerary against no showing on the AMS-LCY (or LHR) sector, if they wish, and leave the ticket as it is ...
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
LH Sector? DO you mean Lufthansa (in which case I wouldnt expect them to be). If by LH you mean long haul on another BA flight somewhere was the long haul on the same PNR as the AMS > LCY ticket?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH Sector? DO you mean Lufthansa (in which case I wouldnt expect them to be). If by LH you mean long haul on another BA flight somewhere was the long haul on the same PNR as the AMS > LCY ticket?
I understood:
Ticket 1: LCY-BA-AMS
Ticket 2: AMS-BA-LCY//LHR-BA-longhaul...
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I understood:
Ticket 1: LCY-AMS
Ticket 2: AMS-LCY//LHR-longhaul...
Ditto, I understood LH = longhaul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.