Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight Safety Briefing - Who Pays Attention?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Ready for some flaming, but I rarely pay attention. On A319/A320/A321 I've used nearly every method of egress possible. At four flights per week I know the drill.

A few years back I had the pleasure of working the emergency exit on a burning engine out of ORD. I posted a trip report somewhere.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
This is a link to the Wikipedia page on the brace position for anyone interested. Some interesting background reading about improvements made following Kegworth, and the differences between advice from UK and US airlines on the brace position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brace_position
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: ABBA
Too much rubbish in the Ba safety video (instructions for the overhead locker when the video is plate after every one is sat down and taxi starts). Not enough detail on things like brace position and exit rows - why not say "exits are at rows 1, 10, 11 and 23 (or whatever)

I watch the video about 80-90% of the time, but usually zone out half way through.

MH and I think CX had 3 brace positions shown, I don't think the Ba position was one of them.

There's a big differnece in my mind between a manual demo and the video. The foer deserves more respect. A shame not all Ba crews give it their respect, one flight last year the crew were too busy giggling at the front to show us where the exits were.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
As much as I say "no need to watch this", and sometimes even have a magazine in my hard to read, I still watch all of it, from start to finish.

I think sometimes the cabin crew can be the cause of this though
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Too much rubbish in the Ba safety video (instructions for the overhead locker when the video is plate after every one is sat down and taxi starts). Not enough detail on things like brace position and exit rows - why not say "exits are at rows 1, 10, 11 and 23 (or whatever)
Cos it's cheaper to make one generic video for all aircraft.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Ready for some flaming, but I rarely pay attention. On A319/A320/A321 I've used nearly every method of egress possible. At four flights per week I know the drill.

A few years back I had the pleasure of working the emergency exit on a burning engine out of ORD. I posted a trip report somewhere.
I can entirely understand your position on this, and I have no intention of flaming you! However I do wonder whether this sends the right message to others, who are unsure about the importance of the safety briefing? Even if you looked in the direction of the flight safety briefing, others (less experienced) may presume you are actively watching it? Those who don't know how important it is may take their cue from others who appear to be actively watching it (or not).

My point here is that it's everyone's responsibility to promote the importance of the safety briefing. So why don't we show others that we believe it's important, and perhaps they will take our lead? If pax close to us are not paying attention, then perhaps we should politely suggest they watch carefully?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
A shame not all Ba crews give it their respect, one flight last year the crew were too busy giggling at the front to show us where the exits were.
I posted a couple of months back about the hyena giggles on UD I experienced late summer when it was a manual demo. Kinda shifts the respect ratio before a flight.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:00 am

Never thought about checking for life jacket either. I always look at the card- note the exits- count rows forward and back to nearest exit. I also look around me to see who might need help (small children, elderly, etc)
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:06 am
Used to be 'sido21'

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus & Stargold
i just check for the emergecy exit and fasten my seatbelt #readyfortakeoff
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by billinghamn
However I do wonder whether this sends the right message to others, who are unsure about the importance of the safety briefing? Even if you looked in the direction of the flight safety briefing, others (less experienced) may presume you are actively watching it? Those who don't know how important it is may take their cue from others who appear to be actively watching it (or not).

My point here is that it's everyone's responsibility to promote the importance of the safety briefing. So why don't we show others that we believe it's important, and perhaps they will take our lead? If pax close to us are not paying attention, then perhaps we should politely suggest they watch carefully?
You're probably right, but I guess I'm just a bit blasé about the whole flying thing. To be honest, how many people these days are on a plane for the first time? I know we're all in this as a group, but I cannot stand self-righteous people nannying others. A few years ago I hadn't switched off my BB the minute the announcement was made. The woman next to me in CE reminded me that it was very dangerous not to switch it off "would you mind turning off your phone now" were her exact words. I told her I would mind so she pressed the FA bell!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do look but I have to admit my mind is usually on other things.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Poxball
I posted a couple of months back about the hyena giggles on UD I experienced late summer when it was a manual demo. Kinda shifts the respect ratio before a flight.
Entirely agree with this point and the one Poxball was responding to as well. If we feel there's a need to show respect for the flight safety briefing, the least the crew can do is also set a good example and be serious for the time it is being shown/demonstrated.

I've seen examples where the crew have been less than attentive at this time, and considering their primary responsibility is safety (as they always tell us), they should always take it seriously.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:33 am
Suspended

Here is the thread I was referring to earlier. Got into a bit of a spat with the guys on the AC board at the time!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ake-off-2.html
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Polomarc
So after the briefing the CC came up to them and asked "how many exits are there on this plane". Not sure how well that would go done with a FF on BA.
This may give you some idea...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...abin-crew.html
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:53 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16432878-post58.html

Had to laugh. Such independent thinking is not actively encouraged on this board even if the rules subsequently change to vindicate the logic....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.