Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight Safety Briefing - Who Pays Attention?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Safety Briefing - Who Pays Attention?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PETER01
That's great - that's how to keep everyone's attention. However if you saw this 4 or 5 times in a day, even this would become a little tedious. Great idea though - hats off to the South West FA.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
I saw a documentary a few months ago about the science behind the crash position advised.
Fascinating that significantly more injuries were caused by passengers adopting different positions, did make me pay more attention and always check the location of the nearest emergency exits.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Infrequent, and always pay strict attention. Check rows etc (usually in the same seats, but whatever). Having that couple of minutes focus on potentially saving my life seems sensible.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
I find a good many ignore the brief. It normally takes an event and/or the loss of life to bring the subject to the fore front again.

Many years ago I had the unfortunate task of reviewing photographs of accidents that had been made worse by the lack of attention to the safety brief. The pictures were pretty horrific.

I now work in the offshore industry and have to watch a similar brief every helicopter flight - even for a 5 minute platform transfer flight. It's done differently with up to 19 pax all in a room watching a dvd before boarding. Everyone watches with no chatting, phones, newspapers etc. We have strict alcohol limits which are lower than the driving limit. Obviously that's not possible for a 747 or even a 737.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
I was on 74 flights last year [not much compared to some here], but I listened to safety briefing on each one of them. Always check for the life west and if not in EER [or in front/behind an exit] count the number of rows to the nearest one.

And could probably repeat quite a few of them [BA and AZ definitely from last year]...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Yes I do pay attention and also ensure I have an idea of where the exits are etc. as well as checking I do actually have a life vest in my seat.
Originally Posted by greg5
I once found mine missing when I was traveling in Y.

Does anyone check when you're in J or F? The PFDs seem to be fairly solidly installed. Can you check without seriously disturbing it?
Yes there have been reports on here about missing Life Jackets which are apparently taken as a souvenir

Whatever cabin I am in I always check if it is present or not. The crew have spare ones IIRC.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:46 pm

Yes there have been reports on here about missing Life Jackets which are apparently taken as a souvenir

Whatever cabin I am in I always check if it is present or not. The crew have spare ones IIRC.
The new Boeing 'sky' interior solves that problem by placing the jacket in the ceiling above you. A tamper seal allows the cabin crew to do an even quicker check that none are missing.

Last edited by Sigwx; Jan 3, 2014 at 1:55 pm Reason: iPadisms
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur

In my case when it was missing, the FA seemed a bit put out to replace it (it wasn't on BA).
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
The new Boeing 'sky' interior solves that problem by placing the jacket in the ceiling above you. A tamper seal allows the cabin crew to do an even quicker check that non are missing.
I never knew that. Thanks Sigwx ^

Originally Posted by greg5
In my case when it was missing, the FA seemed a bit put out to replace it (it wasn't on BA).
I'm not sure but is it an actual legal requirement that every passenger MUST have a Life Vest prior to doors closed/take off?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:00 pm

I never knew that. Thanks Sigwx ^

I'm not sure but is it an actual legal requirement that every passenger MUST have a Life Vest prior to doors closed/take off?
Yes. EU-OPS 1.825

Land aeroplanes. An operator shall not operate a land aeroplane:
(1) When flying over water and at a distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the shore; or
(2) When taking off or landing at an aerodrome where the take-off or approach path is so disposed over water that in the event of a mishap there would be a likelihood of a ditching,

unless it is equipped with life jackets equipped with a survivor locator light, for each person on board. Each life jacket must be stowed in a position easily accessible from the seat or berth of the person for whose use it is provided. Life jackets for infants may be substituted by other approved flotation devices equipped with a survivor locator light.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
It might have been a coastal/continental US flight. A lot of the planes on these have a 'seat cushion' PFD.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA
I once had a B767 safety briefing video played on a B777 (LHR/YUL). I brought this to the attention of the crew, and was apparently the only one to have noticed (crew included). A correct version was then found and played.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL;
I tend to pay more attention to "manual" presentations, it's rude i think not to give the crew your full attention. Videos are easier to ignore, especially when as is currently the case with the BA video, a section of if is no longer relevant..
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Yes. EU-OPS 1.825
Thanks again Sigwx

So technically if there was not a Life Jacket for a passenger flying as per your post then they would have the right to refuse to fly or complain that it is not a legal flight? Has this ever been the case? Just curious (as always!)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I do as well. As Peter above puts it - courtesy. OK, maybe the crew are not doing it manually (cityflyer does) in most cases any more and may not even be looking in the cabin when it is playing to see who is watching...but still. Just one of those things.

I was quite annoyed when AA changed their announcements, removing the chap that used to state quite firmly about not inflating the life jackets until you are outside the aircraft, and my favourite line to follow along to in exactly the same voice, much to many an FA's amusement 'white lights lead to red lights that designate the location of an exit'. It used to drive my wife batty when I would do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.