Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a 2015 BA Champagne and Wine Thread here.

Some procedure as last year. This thread is dedicated to the discussion of Champagne (and Wine) served on board BA and in the lounges worldwide.

Current champagne offerings for the most frequented locations:

First cabin Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle
LHR Concorde Room Bollinger Rose and Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle
LHR Galleries First lounges / LGW First lounge Taittinger Rose and Taittinger Prelude/Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle depends on the day/Castelnau

Club World cabin Taittinger NV/Castelnau Brut Rose NV/Boizel Grand Vintage 2004
LHR Galleries Club lounges / LGW Terraces lounge ??? (Likely the Taittinger or Castelnau)
Club Europe cabin Heidsieck Brut Monopole Blue Top NV

Reds:
First cabin Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste 2001, Pauillac Bordeaux, France
2nd option not confirmed
3rd option not confirmed
LHR Concorde Room Chateau Grand Puy-Lacoste 2001, Cru Classe Pauillac and 3-4 more
LHR Galleries First / LGW First lounge Chateau Batailley 2006 Pauillac, Hamilton Russel Pinot Noir SA, Chateau Du Tertre 2007 Cru Classe Margaux, Merry Edwards Pinot.

LHR Galleries Club lounges / LGW Terraces lounge Ch. Haut Selve 2009; Ch. Lamothe Cissac 2010; Merry Edwards Pinot Noir 2010; Cycles Gladiator Pinot Noir 2012; Chono Pinot Noir 2012
Club World cabin Brio de Cantenac Brown 2005; Teusner "The Independent" Shiraz Mataro 2011, Barossa Valley, South Australia; Chateau Marzy 2008, Pomerol, Bordeaux; Chteau La Claymore 2009, Lussac Saint-Emilion, Bordeaux; Meiomi Pinot Noir 2012, Santa Barbara/Sonoma/Monterey, California
Club Europe cabin Undrinkable generic French red non vintage non AC (Does anybody drink anything else than the Champagne!?)

Whites:
First Cabin Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Le Champ Gain 2007, Vincent Girardin, Burgundy, France
Le Soula Blanc 2007, VDP Des Cotes Catalanes, France
McWilliams Lovedale Semillon 2005, Hunter Valley, Australia
Chablis Grand Cru Bougros 2009, Domaine William Fvre, France
Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi DOC 2011, Stefano Antonucci, Italy
Ponzi Pinot Gris 2012, Willamette Valley, USA
LHR Concorde Room Brocard Chablis Premiere Cru, Viognier 2009, Sancerre??
LHR Galleries First lounges / LGW First lounge Brocard Chablis Premiere Cru, Saint-Aubin Premier Cru Les Cortons 2011, Casa Maria Sauv Blanc 2011 Chile, Vessiguad Pouilly Fuisse 2011.

LHR Galleries Club lounges / LGW Terraces lounge Elizabeth Spencer Sauv Blanc 2012; Esser Chardonnay 2011; Cycles Gladiator Pinot Grigio 2012; The Tin Mine "Zevenwacht" 2012; Kleine Zalze 2012; Mullineux 2012
Club World cabin Chateau de Chantegrive 2011, Graves, Bordeaux; Yalumba Viognier 2011, Eden Valley South Australia; Pouilly-Fum 2012, Chteau Favray, Loire Valley; Cline Viognier 2012, North Coast, California
Club Europe cabin ???

Spirit selection available in LHR Galleries First lounges:
  • Bacardi 8
  • Bacardi Superior
  • Bailey's
  • Baron Otard XO
  • Bombay Sapphire
  • Bushmills
  • Chase Vodka
  • Ciroc (vodka)
  • Cointreau
  • Drambuie
  • Drambuie 15
  • Gentleman Jack
  • Glenlivet 15
  • Glenlivet 18
  • Gordon's
  • Grey Goose
  • Grey Goose Le Citron
  • Imperia Vodka
  • Jameson
  • Johnnie Walker Blue
  • Johnnie Walker Red
  • Jos Cuervo Especial Reposado
  • Kahla
  • La Concha (sherry)
  • Martini Bianco
  • Martini Extra Dry
  • Martini Rosso
  • Olmeca Gold
  • Smirnoff Red
  • Southern Comfort
  • Tanqueray No. Ten
  • Warre's 1999 (port)
  • Woodford Reserve
  • Zacapa XO (only in T5)
Print Wikipost

The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadge55
FYI Pleasureflyer ...... BA ClubWorld is supplied by Patriarche while Bibendum supply First Class.

Other way round, surely? Bibendum supplies WT, ET, CE; Patriarche supplies CW, F.

In any event, I don't think it is healthy for BA to rely on only one or two suppliers.

....I think I'm right Flying Winemaker, unless things have changed recently. Bibendum were holding First Class tastings at 'Taste of London' last year and indicated that they were supplier. Castelnau bought Patriarche last year and supply CW.

The main thing is that the wines are good!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
No LPGS in T3 GF tonight. But more worryingly, for quite some time there were no glasses - dispatched a lounge agent who came back with one of the standard ones and one of the annoying small ones. This was soon rectified
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,
Nicolas feuillatte brut in PHD today

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Spadge55

....I think I'm right Flying Winemaker, unless things have changed recently. Bibendum were holding First Class tastings at 'Taste of London' last year and indicated that they were supplier. Castelnau bought Patriarche last year and supply CW.

The main thing is that the wines are good!
Bibendum definitely supply for F and I thought they supplied for CW too (but could be wrong about that). The CCR is effectively supplied via bin ends of the F cellar.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Very good wine selection today in GF, both reds and whites and Champagne.
Two classified BDX Grand Cru's, good quality whites and lots of Tatt Prelude.

This is the best I've seen in several years.

Edited:

The 2007 Margaux is not very pleasant compared with the 2006 Pauillac. Lots of tannins and rather sharp. 07 not the best year of course.
Go for the 06 Pauillac.

Last edited by Petrus; Jan 27, 2014 at 5:21 am
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by Petrus

Edited:

The 2007 Margaux is not very pleasant compared with the 2006 Pauillac. Lots of tannins and rather sharp. 07 not the best year of course.
Go for the 06 Pauillac.
Was the 06 the Chateau Batailley? It is excellent and thanks to BA's stocking of it in GF I have ordered a couple of cases for my own cellar ^

If the 07 was Du Tertre then I agree... needs a 3-5 more years to give it a chance, but may be a dead duck. 2005 was stellar for Margaux though. I was lucky enough to buy a case of Ch. Margaux '05 en primeur and it is quite extraordinary. Sadly the prices have gone silly though so not buying any more!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edited:

Go for the 06 Pauillac.
There was a choice of Prelude, Nocturne or Castelnau on Friday.

The Beaune in the CCR was really nice once it had defrosted a bit.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Is this new or was I just blind?

LGW GF, and in addition to the usual whites, reds, and Champagnes (no surprise with any of those but a nice Meursault), there are two sweet wines on offer: A Sauternes (very nice) and a Niagara ice wine (very nice as well!). I'm just wondering if I have been blind for months and not seen them or if this is a new (and welcome) addition?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
LGW GF, and in addition to the usual whites, reds, and Champagnes (no surprise with any of those but a nice Meursault), there are two sweet wines on offer: A Sauternes (very nice) and a Niagara ice wine (very nice as well!). I'm just wondering if I have been blind for months and not seen them or if this is a new (and welcome) addition?
I firmly believe that the BS staff just pull bottles at random from the store room for GF
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I firmly believe that the BS staff just pull bottles at random from the store room for GF
You know what, I suspect you're right!! especially at lgw where there seems to be no consistency at all. I have had it all from C de C and Grand Sicle all the way to complete rubbish and no sparkling water. Maybe they get all the "bin ends" because of the smaller volume??
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

HEAVEN

Wow wow wow! What just happened here.
The wines are nothing short of spectacular in Galleries First as we speak. Out of the 5 reds, 4 are classified Bordeaux Growths! One is weak (a 2007) but the rest is some serious wine. In Heaven.

There is also a Grand Cru Chablis on offer, rather tasty. And I happen to have another 4 hours before my flight. Game over Good thing family is asleep when I get home.

The 05 Figeac is winning so far, and the 2002 Medoc in second place

This has now lifted my spirits considerably after having had a ghastly person on board my CE flight from WAW.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:30 am

Wow wow wow! What just happened here.
The wines are nothing short of spectacular in Galleries First as we speak. Out of the 5 reds, 4 are classified Bordeaux Growths! One is weak (a 2007) but the rest is some serious wine. In Heaven.

There is also a Grand Cru Chablis on offer, rather tasty. And I happen to have another 4 hours before my flight. Game over Good thing family is asleep when I get home.

The 05 Figeac is winning so far, and the 2002 Medoc in second place

This has now lifted my spirits considerably after having had a ghastly person on board my CE flight from WAW.
Well, as an unconditional Bordeaux fan (that's where I did my undergraduate studies after all so built up both a bit of knowledge and a bit of a cellar that has followed me since! ) I can only approve!

I'm surprised the Chateau Lagrange hasn't made it on your top list! I can only assume it was an unlucky bottle as it should have been quite spectacular!

BTW, at LGW, apart from the sweet wines that I mentioned which were both excellent, they also had a great Pauillac and the beautiful Meursault, so indeed, it seems like a good day for the London GFs!!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
..Maybe they get all the "bin ends" because of the smaller volume??
The CCR is apparently stocked with the F cellar bin ends.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Poster

You raise a valid point there. The Lagrange only had about a third of a glass left in the bottle and could have been out for too long.

You have to drop me a PM if you pass through Stockholm and we'll pop some bottles.
On a side note, you'll like to hear an experience I had a couple of weeks back. There is a steakhouse in Mayfair which applies BYOW. So we brought along a very nice Cali Pinot and a decent Bordeaux:

To our bemusement the bottle was duff. We ended up with a Latour 90 instead. Works, I suppose.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:09 am

You raise a valid point there. The Lagrange only had about a third of a glass left in the bottle and could have been out for too long.

You have to drop me a PM if you pass through Stockholm and we'll pop some bottles.
On a side note, you'll like to hear an experience I had a couple of weeks back. There is a steakhouse in Mayfair which applies BYOW. So we brought along a very nice Cali Pinot and a decent Bordeaux:

To our bemusement the bottle was duff. We ended up with a Latour 90 instead. Works, I suppose.
Yes, the Latour would do as the Cheval Blanc should have!! I can't believe that you did not use your four hours in the lounge to charm one of the GF staff into bringing you brand new bottle of the Lagrange in the interest of science and fairness I mean, we wouldn't want Lagrange fans to complain that their wine of choice was not evaluated fairly because of that unsatisfactory bottle end!

Will PM on a visit and exchange notes on Bordeaux with both great interest and great pleasure!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.