Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a 2015 BA Champagne and Wine Thread here.

Some procedure as last year. This thread is dedicated to the discussion of Champagne (and Wine) served on board BA and in the lounges worldwide.

Current champagne offerings for the most frequented locations:

First cabin Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle
LHR Concorde Room Bollinger Rose and Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle
LHR Galleries First lounges / LGW First lounge Taittinger Rose and Taittinger Prelude/Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle depends on the day/Castelnau

Club World cabin Taittinger NV/Castelnau Brut Rose NV/Boizel Grand Vintage 2004
LHR Galleries Club lounges / LGW Terraces lounge ??? (Likely the Taittinger or Castelnau)
Club Europe cabin Heidsieck Brut Monopole Blue Top NV

Reds:
First cabin Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste 2001, Pauillac Bordeaux, France
2nd option not confirmed
3rd option not confirmed
LHR Concorde Room Chateau Grand Puy-Lacoste 2001, Cru Classe Pauillac and 3-4 more
LHR Galleries First / LGW First lounge Chateau Batailley 2006 Pauillac, Hamilton Russel Pinot Noir SA, Chateau Du Tertre 2007 Cru Classe Margaux, Merry Edwards Pinot.

LHR Galleries Club lounges / LGW Terraces lounge Ch. Haut Selve 2009; Ch. Lamothe Cissac 2010; Merry Edwards Pinot Noir 2010; Cycles Gladiator Pinot Noir 2012; Chono Pinot Noir 2012
Club World cabin Brio de Cantenac Brown 2005; Teusner "The Independent" Shiraz Mataro 2011, Barossa Valley, South Australia; Chateau Marzy 2008, Pomerol, Bordeaux; Château La Claymore 2009, Lussac Saint-Emilion, Bordeaux; Meiomi Pinot Noir 2012, Santa Barbara/Sonoma/Monterey, California
Club Europe cabin Undrinkable generic French red non vintage non AC (Does anybody drink anything else than the Champagne!?)

Whites:
First Cabin Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Le Champ Gain 2007, Vincent Girardin, Burgundy, France
Le Soula Blanc 2007, VDP Des Cotes Catalanes, France
McWilliams Lovedale Semillon 2005, Hunter Valley, Australia
Chablis Grand Cru Bougros 2009, Domaine William Fèvre, France
Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi DOC 2011, Stefano Antonucci, Italy
Ponzi Pinot Gris 2012, Willamette Valley, USA
LHR Concorde Room Brocard Chablis Premiere Cru, Viognier 2009, Sancerre??
LHR Galleries First lounges / LGW First lounge Brocard Chablis Premiere Cru, Saint-Aubin Premier Cru Les Cortons 2011, Casa Maria Sauv Blanc 2011 Chile, Vessiguad Pouilly Fuisse 2011.

LHR Galleries Club lounges / LGW Terraces lounge Elizabeth Spencer Sauv Blanc 2012; Esser Chardonnay 2011; Cycles Gladiator Pinot Grigio 2012; The Tin Mine "Zevenwacht" 2012; Kleine Zalze 2012; Mullineux 2012
Club World cabin Chateau de Chantegrive 2011, Graves, Bordeaux; Yalumba Viognier 2011, Eden Valley South Australia; Pouilly-Fumé 2012, Château Favray, Loire Valley; Cline Viognier 2012, North Coast, California
Club Europe cabin ???

Spirit selection available in LHR Galleries First lounges:
  • Bacardi 8
  • Bacardi Superior
  • Bailey's
  • Baron Otard XO
  • Bombay Sapphire
  • Bushmills
  • Chase Vodka
  • Ciroc (vodka)
  • Cointreau
  • Drambuie
  • Drambuie 15
  • Gentleman Jack
  • Glenlivet 15
  • Glenlivet 18
  • Gordon's
  • Grey Goose
  • Grey Goose Le Citron
  • Imperia Vodka
  • Jameson
  • Johnnie Walker Blue
  • Johnnie Walker Red
  • José Cuervo Especial Reposado
  • Kahlúa
  • La Concha (sherry)
  • Martini Bianco
  • Martini Extra Dry
  • Martini Rosso
  • Olmeca Gold
  • Smirnoff Red
  • Southern Comfort
  • Tanqueray No. Ten
  • Warre's 1999 (port)
  • Woodford Reserve
  • Zacapa XO (only in T5)
Print Wikipost

The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: BA GGL FL, AA EXP, MR Titanium, HH Dia, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Melia Plat, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Is price really a factor you take in to account when choosing a wine? Personally I'd go for flavour rather than cost.

I suppose, as always, it's down to personal taste. Not tried the ones you've mentioned in Club World, but if they really are as bad as you say I'm surprised others have not mentioned it here.
I wouldn't particularly use price as a guide - I would want to taste the wine, and as you say - it is indeed down to personal taste. The Strapper GSM 2011, Barossa, South Australia certainly didn't suit my taste. Who knows, maybe other folks think it is OK, or even "good."

I merely gave the price to indicate that this particular "strapping little offering" wasn't exactly going to break the bank and if a few more quid had been invested, the end result may have been drinkable......

For example, the Newton Johnson Full Stop Rock, to which I referred in my original post (served in First, not CW) was a mere £5 more than the dreaded Strapper, and was infinitely better.

Last edited by PleasureFlyer; Jan 6, 2014 at 9:13 am
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: Freedom of speech
xxxxx

Last edited by PeasantGate; May 27, 2014 at 12:44 am
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
LHR Galleries Club white wines

I haven't yet worked out how to edit the wikipost at the top of this thread, but here's a bit of info to update it. Writing it down now whilst I'm here and before I forget it!
White wines, Heathrow north & south T5 lounges

Closerie Des Alisiers Meursault 2011
Messe Chardonnay 2011, Monterey, California
Yalumba Viognier 2011, Eden Valley
Cycles Gladiator Pinot Grigio 2012, California
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by PleasureFlyer
I wouldn't particularly use price as a guide - I would want to taste the wine, and as you say - it is indeed down to personal taste. The Strapper GSM 2011, Barossa, South Australia certainly didn't suit my taste. Who knows, maybe other folks think it is OK, or even "good."

I merely gave the price to indicate that this particular "strapping little offering" wasn't exactly going to break the bank and if a few more quid had been invested, the end result may have been drinkable......

For example, the Newton Johnson Full Stop Rock, to which I referred in my original post (served in First, not CW) was a mere £5 more than the dreaded Strapper, and was infinitely better.
I must agree about the price, for example our favourite Castelnau Millesime is about the same price as Tatty 2006 or Prelude.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by cziwkga
I haven't yet worked out how to edit the wikipost at the top of this thread, but here's a bit of info to update it.
The "Edit" button is located in the bottom right corner of wikipost, however I think that you need certain number of posts and days on forum to be able to see it (and edit it).
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
And the Dessert Wine?
In December it was
Château de rayne vigneau sauternes 2007 1er grand cru classé
Very nice Sauternes, drinking well already, but will improve after cellaring for 3-10 years. 19/20 points already less than a year after harvest by Decanter verdict: http://www.decanter.com/wine/reviews...uternes/569429
^
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
DREADFUL selection of six identical bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau Pisse Dru 2013 in the F lounge the other day - I know price shouldn't be a factor, but I don't need to taste this 3.49 Euros grape juice to know that it is undrinkable.

They remained untouched for the several hours I was in the T5 F lounge.

Frankly BS can Pisse off if they think I am going to drink this

(Thankfully on the other side of the lounge there was some Batailley 2006 ^)
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread

T5 galleries south

Collet brut is the name of the champagne

You know it's going down hill when you havnt heard of it lol
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by PeasantGate
I was in CE on last Saturday's BA985 from TXL and surprised to hear they'd run out of Champagne after about forty minutes. CE was two-thirds full but not everyone was on the fizzy stuff. When I asked the steward "is it true you've run out of Champagne" he replied, "Yes, it was very popular on the way out!"

He then proceeded to open a drawer stating "That's were it usually lives, but as you can see it's empty of Champagne!" The drawer had a layer of white wine and a few red but no Champagne and not too much room for it either.

I then wondered:

How may bottles do they actually start off with? And, if they know it's running very low for the inbound why won't BA just upload a couple of full-size bottles to take the pressure off the onboard stock? After all, it is Club (of sorts)!
Avios compensation mate. Not getting the product you paid for. False advertising etc
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by olybeast
T5 galleries south

I'm pretty sure that's what is being served in First pre-departure on certain routes.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by olybeast

T5 galleries south

I'm pretty sure that's what is being served in First pre-departure on certain routes.
After 6 glasses in an hour I can say that it is not bad
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:55 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
BA 264 (IAD-LHR) on Jan 7.

In CW

Reds

Château La Claymore 2009, Lussac Saint-Emilion, Bordeaux
Meiomi Pinot Noir 2012, Santa Barbara/Sonoma/Monterey, California

Whites

Pouilly-Fumé 2012, Château Favray, Loire Valley (was OK with the salmon)
Cline Viognier 2012, North Coast, California
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by haasha
The "Edit" button is located in the bottom right corner of wikipost, however I think that you need certain number of posts and days on forum to be able to see it (and edit it).
I think you are right - I've seen mention of these limits somewhere but can't locate it now. I suspect it is number of posts (28) that is limiting me rather than join date.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by SPBanker
BA 264 (IAD-LHR) on Jan 7.

In CW

Reds

Château La Claymore 2009, Lussac Saint-Emilion, Bordeaux
Meiomi Pinot Noir 2012, Santa Barbara/Sonoma/Monterey, California

Whites

Pouilly-Fumé 2012, Château Favray, Loire Valley (was OK with the salmon)
Cline Viognier 2012, North Coast, California
By a bizarre coincidence the very same as was being served on BA293 LHR-IAD on the same day. I can confirm that the Pouilly-Fumé was rather tasty, though I had it with the sea bass.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
It is and it is served in the LCY gate lounge for CWLCY It isn't that bad really, BA has served much worse.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Jan 10, 2014 at 1:59 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.