Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a 2015 BA Champagne and Wine Thread here.

Some procedure as last year. This thread is dedicated to the discussion of Champagne (and Wine) served on board BA and in the lounges worldwide.

Current champagne offerings for the most frequented locations:

First cabin Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle
LHR Concorde Room Bollinger Rose and Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle
LHR Galleries First lounges / LGW First lounge Taittinger Rose and Taittinger Prelude/Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle depends on the day/Castelnau

Club World cabin Taittinger NV/Castelnau Brut Rose NV/Boizel Grand Vintage 2004
LHR Galleries Club lounges / LGW Terraces lounge ??? (Likely the Taittinger or Castelnau)
Club Europe cabin Heidsieck Brut Monopole Blue Top NV

Reds:
First cabin Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste 2001, Pauillac Bordeaux, France
2nd option not confirmed
3rd option not confirmed
LHR Concorde Room Chateau Grand Puy-Lacoste 2001, Cru Classe Pauillac and 3-4 more
LHR Galleries First / LGW First lounge Chateau Batailley 2006 Pauillac, Hamilton Russel Pinot Noir SA, Chateau Du Tertre 2007 Cru Classe Margaux, Merry Edwards Pinot.

LHR Galleries Club lounges / LGW Terraces lounge Ch. Haut Selve 2009; Ch. Lamothe Cissac 2010; Merry Edwards Pinot Noir 2010; Cycles Gladiator Pinot Noir 2012; Chono Pinot Noir 2012
Club World cabin Brio de Cantenac Brown 2005; Teusner "The Independent" Shiraz Mataro 2011, Barossa Valley, South Australia; Chateau Marzy 2008, Pomerol, Bordeaux; Château La Claymore 2009, Lussac Saint-Emilion, Bordeaux; Meiomi Pinot Noir 2012, Santa Barbara/Sonoma/Monterey, California
Club Europe cabin Undrinkable generic French red non vintage non AC (Does anybody drink anything else than the Champagne!?)

Whites:
First Cabin Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Le Champ Gain 2007, Vincent Girardin, Burgundy, France
Le Soula Blanc 2007, VDP Des Cotes Catalanes, France
McWilliams Lovedale Semillon 2005, Hunter Valley, Australia
Chablis Grand Cru Bougros 2009, Domaine William Fčvre, France
Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi DOC 2011, Stefano Antonucci, Italy
Ponzi Pinot Gris 2012, Willamette Valley, USA
LHR Concorde Room Brocard Chablis Premiere Cru, Viognier 2009, Sancerre??
LHR Galleries First lounges / LGW First lounge Brocard Chablis Premiere Cru, Saint-Aubin Premier Cru Les Cortons 2011, Casa Maria Sauv Blanc 2011 Chile, Vessiguad Pouilly Fuisse 2011.

LHR Galleries Club lounges / LGW Terraces lounge Elizabeth Spencer Sauv Blanc 2012; Esser Chardonnay 2011; Cycles Gladiator Pinot Grigio 2012; The Tin Mine "Zevenwacht" 2012; Kleine Zalze 2012; Mullineux 2012
Club World cabin Chateau de Chantegrive 2011, Graves, Bordeaux; Yalumba Viognier 2011, Eden Valley South Australia; Pouilly-Fumé 2012, Château Favray, Loire Valley; Cline Viognier 2012, North Coast, California
Club Europe cabin ???

Spirit selection available in LHR Galleries First lounges:
  • Bacardi 8
  • Bacardi Superior
  • Bailey's
  • Baron Otard XO
  • Bombay Sapphire
  • Bushmills
  • Chase Vodka
  • Ciroc (vodka)
  • Cointreau
  • Drambuie
  • Drambuie 15
  • Gentleman Jack
  • Glenlivet 15
  • Glenlivet 18
  • Gordon's
  • Grey Goose
  • Grey Goose Le Citron
  • Imperia Vodka
  • Jameson
  • Johnnie Walker Blue
  • Johnnie Walker Red
  • José Cuervo Especial Reposado
  • Kahlúa
  • La Concha (sherry)
  • Martini Bianco
  • Martini Extra Dry
  • Martini Rosso
  • Olmeca Gold
  • Smirnoff Red
  • Southern Comfort
  • Tanqueray No. Ten
  • Warre's 1999 (port)
  • Woodford Reserve
  • Zacapa XO (only in T5)
Print Wikipost

The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Does price matter?
I find that there are three places to judge price.

1. The place where the wine is made. And in that case, price may or may not usually correlate to taste. Supply and demand has a bigger effect.

2. You can look at the price in a faraway foreign land, like the US$20 price for Argentinian wine. There the price is more of a function of the supply chain and how it operates for a particular batch of wine. There are many people and organisations involved in moving the price up or down.

3. And lastly you can judge by price at a high end gourmet restaurant. There you may see a better price to taste correlation.

As always marketing has a big effect on price. As someone who lives in France, I'm often shocked at the prices of French wines at restaurants outside of Europe, knowing that I pay about 90% less here in France. And here I can find great wines for less than 10 bucks that few people outside of this region have ever heard of.
Old May 30, 2014, 3:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
That may well be true stimpy, but my question was specific to the post I responded to. Petrus said a particular wine offered was 'very good', nologic replied simply saying 'That's a $20 wine' (implying it was cheap). Why would price matter? Either the wine is very good or it isn't, price doesn't come in to it.

Dom Perignon is Ł120 a bottle, I hate it! I'm happy with a Ł20/Ł30 bottle of 'very good' champagne over the DP any day. Surely it's all about the quality of the wine, not the price of it?
Old May 30, 2014, 3:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Have the small champagne glasses have made a permanent return to GF? On my last 6/8 visits over the last three weeks there were no larger flutes visible anywhere, even in the back where they sometimes hide.
Old May 30, 2014, 3:41 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Have the small champagne glasses have made a permanent return to GF? On my last 6/8 visits over the last three weeks there were no larger flutes visible anywhere, even in the back where they sometimes hide.
Similar experiences - I haven't been able to see larger flutes for a while either. I asked last Saturday and was told the smaller glasses were all that were available. Hmmm. I'll be at LGW tomorrow so I'm hoping the larger flutes are available!

I saw many people using the Red Wine glasses instead in the F Lounge last week to fill with champagne.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That may well be true stimpy, but my question was specific to the post I responded to. Petrus said a particular wine offered was 'very good', nologic replied simply saying 'That's a $20 wine' (implying it was cheap). Why would price matter? Either the wine is very good or it isn't, price doesn't come in to it.
Right, you asked a question and I gave a response to your question as to the subject of price and wine. The middle one would apply in this case. I would expect a different price in Argentina and a different, surely higher, price in a good restaurant. There is a correlation between price and taste, but price isn't the only factor.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rxfleming
Similar experiences - I haven't been able to see larger flutes for a while either. I asked last Saturday and was told the smaller glasses were all that were available. Hmmm. I'll be at LGW tomorrow so I'm hoping the larger flutes are available!

I saw many people using the Red Wine glasses instead in the F Lounge last week to fill with champagne.
I just don't understand what the need to replace the larger flutes was - apart from some stupid penny pinching idea to reduce the amount of champagne drunk. What has happened to all the larger glasses? Up until my last visit the larger ones were still there if you looked, but last week when I was there only the smaller ones were available
Old May 30, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA
I just don't understand what the need to replace the larger flutes was - apart from some stupid penny pinching idea to reduce the amount of champagne drunk. What has happened to all the larger glasses? Up until my last visit the larger ones were still there if you looked, but last week when I was there only the smaller ones were available
I actually think that the current inflation to have permanently larger glasses of everything is very much driven by the restaurant industray (12.5 ml of wine in a small glass looks full, in a huge glass looks tiny meaning you can serve people more, more often and make them drink/order more bottles). Traditionally, different shapes and sizes of glasses have been associated with different wine types, and I find the small flutes just fine. I was also annoyed to see lots of people wasting, ie leaving the large flutes nearly full when suddenly realising that their flight would soon board. So personally, if it reduces waste, I certainly don't mind.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Right, you asked a question and I gave a response to your question as to the subject of price and wine. The middle one would apply in this case. I would expect a different price in Argentina and a different, surely higher, price in a good restaurant. There is a correlation between price and taste, but price isn't the only factor.
It was to nologic my comment was made, I wasn't asking you to state the obvious when it comes to "buying" wines. In the context of this topic, price is irrelevant - it doesn't matter how much it costs in Argentina or Le Gavroche or Oddbins or how much BA pays for it - the point is Petrus mentioned the wine in question was 'very good' surely that the wine is 'very good' is all that matters? What relevance does price have when it comes to the wines provided? The wine is either good or it isn't - the cost of supplying/buying it is irrelevant.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Dom Perignon is Ł120 a bottle, I hate it! I'm happy with a Ł20/Ł30 bottle of 'very good' champagne over the DP any day. Surely it's all about the quality of the wine, not the price of it?
Personally I fully agree. I think cost would become an important indication if GF was moving towards cheaper wines as a matter of course (it would then be a symptom of revised budgets) but I don't believe it is the case, and with the current mix, the more cheapest wines among those offered are certainly not necessarily the worst of the offer.

That said, again, I personally think that GF lacks someone capable of suggesting wine selections ie what to take out of the cellar at a given point in time. There would be plenty of possible ways of doing it from "balance" to "themes" but right now it just feels incoherent unless I am missing something obvious (but I haven't seen anyone finding a logic on this thread which includes a number of obvious wine lovers). It is just a shame as it does not make the most of the wines BA has.

Oh, and I personally share your lack of enthusiasm towards Dom Perignon. I wouldn't say that I hate it but I find it very underwhelming. Same goes for the JW Blue, for which I imagine people must care about cost as I don't really what else about it could possibly impress.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was to nologic my comment was made, I wasn't asking you to state the obvious when it comes to "buying" wines. In the context of this topic, price is irrelevant - it doesn't matter how much it costs in Argentina or Le Gavroche or Oddbins or how much BA pays for it - the point is Petrus mentioned the wine in question was 'very good' surely that the wine is 'very good' is all that matters? What relevance does price have when it comes to the wines provided? The wine is either good or it isn't - the cost of supplying/buying it is irrelevant.
Well you asked a question rather than made a statement. That's what the ? mark means you know. If you meant it as a statement perhaps you could have phrased it differently. In any case, sorry for the misunderstanding.

And as I stated price does have relevance, even if price isn't the only relevant factor. As you know, taste is up to the person tasting the wine. Petrus likes it yet I thought it wasn't nearly as good as what I tried several years ago from the same label. And more to the point of this thread, I've had much better wines in GF in the past. I think most of us can agree to that.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Well you asked a question rather than made a statement. That's what the ? mark means you know. If you meant it as a statement perhaps you could have phrased it differently...
Thank you for the condescending English lesson. The concept of a rhetorical question escapes you?
Old May 30, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I actually think that the current inflation to have permanently larger glasses of everything is very much driven by the restaurant industray (12.5 ml of wine in a small glass looks full, in a huge glass looks tiny meaning you can serve people more, more often and make them drink/order more bottles). Traditionally, different shapes and sizes of glasses have been associated with different wine types, and I find the small flutes just fine. I was also annoyed to see lots of people wasting, ie leaving the large flutes nearly full when suddenly realising that their flight would soon board. So personally, if it reduces waste, I certainly don't mind.
12.5 ml wouldn't even shot glass made look full
Old May 30, 2014, 1:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Sorry orbitmic, I can't agree with you. No glass inflation issue here, the glasses which have gone were pretty much standard champagne glass size - I would be embarassed to give someone champagne at home in the small glasses they now have.
Old May 30, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I do not like the J type champagne flutes - small and not of the same quality crystal. I made this comment on the ipad in the GF last week.

I had my champagne in a wine glass instead.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Oooh, after almost giving up hope of a good red Bordeaux in T5 Flounge, the breakfast wine today was 2007 Chateau du Tertre, Margaux.

Drank very well with the black pudding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.