Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
    A relative received a similar email regarding bonus Avios and signed up.

I explained the benefits of earning Avios etc to them previously before they signed up.

However, they signed up and got approved before telling me, hence I was unable to give them a referral link (GRR!).

If I explain this to Amex, will they honour a referral, or can the referral only be via the link?

Thanks
    Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by Paren

I explained the benefits of earning Avios etc to them previously before they signed up.

However, they signed up and got approved before telling me, hence I was unable to give them a referral link (GRR!).

If I explain this to Amex, will they honour a referral, or can the referral only be via the link?

Thanks
    Honour a referral that didn’t happen? No chance at all I’m afraid.
    Paren likes this.
    Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
    Originally Posted by Paren

Thanks
    i tried with my dad and it worked... took a few back and forth messages.

however the communication had to be done from his account and for him to say he made a mistake.
    Paren likes this.
    Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: BAEC, Silver
    Originally Posted by dougzz

£195 I think. But usually returned proportionally for early cancellation. Not sure if the 30K Avios offer has any special T&Cs attached, really the person receiving the email needs to read the offer carefully.
    thanks for that
    I have read the Ts&Cs, and nothing is mentioned about cancelling early, so wondered if any had any experience of it.
    Glad to hear the fee will proportionally be refunded though.
    Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
    Originally Posted by SussexFly

thanks for that
    I have read the Ts&Cs, and nothing is mentioned about cancelling early, so wondered if any had any experience of it.
    Glad to hear the fee will proportionally be refunded though.
    Yes. Done that previously a few times and can confirm that (in the UK) the fee is refunded proportionally depending on how long you have held the card even just a month or so.

If you also earn a 241 companion voucher during that period by spending £10k+, it also remains in your BAEC account after cancellation of the card in my experiance.
    SussexFly likes this.
    Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:07 am
    A13

Originally Posted by SussexFly
    Had an email offering 30k avios sign up offer if I get the BAPP Card.
    i already have an amex, so looking to get the BAPP, gain the 30K avios and 2-4-1, and then cancel.

will cancelling pretty much straight after the 30k avios hit my account affect anything? I.e I’m not tied in to the card for X years? They won’t take the Avios back?
    Hmm wouldn't be so sure you'd get the bonus avios if you already have an amex as wont qualify as a new customer given the new rules.
    Interesting you were targeted though.
    Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Originally Posted by A13
    Hmm wouldn't be so sure you'd get the bonus avios if you already have an amex as wont qualify as a new customer given the new rules.
    Uniquely for the BAPP card, that disqualification only applies if you have the basic BA card - other Amexs don’t matter. But the targeted email should be checked carefully!
    Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:44 am
    A13

Originally Posted by pauldb

Uniquely for the BAPP card, that disqualification only applies if you have the basic BA card - other Amexs don’t matter. But the targeted email should be checked carefully!
    Not any more, since March the card families are gone and having any reward earning amex will block you from getting another signup bonus, unless you wait 2 years.
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...p-bonus-rules/
    Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by A13
    I think with the BAPP so long as you’ve not had either BA card in 24 months you get the bonus. Member reward cards and SPG don’t matter.
    Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Originally Posted by A13
    Not any more, since March the card families are gone and having any reward earning amex will block you from getting another signup bonus, unless you wait 2 years.
    Nope - the exception I mentioned is explained in that article.

On the application it says:
    • I understand I will not be eligible for any Welcome Bonus award if I hold or have held any personal British Airways American Express Card product in the past 24 months.
    dougzz and A13 like this.
    Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:48 am
    A13

Originally Posted by pauldb

Originally Posted by dougzz

I think with the BAPP so long as you’ve not had either BA card in 24 months you get the bonus. Member reward cards and SPG don’t matter.
    Just saw that, hadn't noticed before. Not that it would've helped me.
    dougzz likes this.
    Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by A13
    Again this just suggests that the BAPP is signup reward is OK so long as you’ve not had either BA card in previous 2 years. Free BA card has different rules.
    Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:13 am

I bougth ba flight using Ba Amex premium
    now ba cancelled flight (I receive email) and put me on flight day earlier so I need to spend one day extra at destination
    is it covered by travel incounvinience insurance up to 200 for food and accomondation?
    Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:18 am

I called Amex and they said it’s not covered because I have another option inside 4h and is due reschedule by BA I quote terms and they said that still not but I can make a claim and try to challenge decision
    Facts
    flight is 25h earlier than on original booking
    I have email from BA what original flight is cancelled

2.1 TRAVEL INCONVENIENCE
    YOUR BENEFITS
    The travel, refreshment and accommodation costs, and the purchase of essential items covered under this Travel Inconvenience Section 2.1 must be charged to Your Card to be eligible.
    Travel Inconvenience benefits under this Section 2.1 are provided to cover any flight between named airports, on an aircraft operated by an airline, licensed by the relevant authorities for air transportation of fare paying passengers. Cover does not apply to flights on aircraft chartered privately.
    If You are travelling with Your Family, Your Supplementary Cardmembers, or their Family, and claiming under the same Card Account, the benefits stated under this Travel Inconvenience Section 2.1 must be shared.

1) You will be reimbursed up to £200 for additional travel, refreshment and accommodation costs incurred prior to Your actual departure if:
    a) (Delay, Cancellation or Overbooking) Your flight is delayed, cancelled, or overbooked and no alternative is made available within 4 hours of the published departure time;
    Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
    Would that be San Diego by any chance? Yesterday they cancelled most of the direct flights from LHR in Thanksgiving week.
    No one has an explanation. Any ideas anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.