Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
    Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    Does anyone have experience of buying concert tickets through Ticketmaster for people other than yourself on an Amex pre-sale?
    I'm not going, someone's wanting me to use the Amex to get tickets.
    Any issues?
    Sounds like you had the same call as I had tonight, a family member after my card to buy tickets for a certain American artist...

Ticketmaster don’t normally allocate tickets to specific people, so buying on behalf of another should be fine. Happy to hear of any other experiences though!
    Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    Originally Posted by dakaix
    Sounds like you had the same call as I had tonight, a family member after my card to buy tickets for a certain American artist...
    Text, but yes!

Originally Posted by dakaix
    Ticketmaster don’t normally allocate tickets to specific people, so buying on behalf of another should be fine. Happy to hear of any other experiences though!
    Good to hear, I did look on TM's website about gifts, so it looks concert dependant.
    Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR, HHonors DIA
    I'm thinking of referring my dad to get the BA premium amex card, I am doing it mainly for the avios I would get off his spend (and the companion voucher), can I just stick my my BAEC details in there so the avios and the voucher comes to me, or does this get checked/verified somewhere along the way?
    Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:27 am

Under offers on the BA Amex app there is an option for the first 56000 to get 500 avios for £5

absolute no brainier 👍
    alex67500 likes this.
    Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:24 am
    rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
    Originally Posted by mwp1
    Under offers on the BA Amex app there is an option for the first 56000 to get 500 avios for £5

absolute no brainier 👍
    I heard about this and I am quite annoyed
    My six months being BA-card-free will be up at the middle of the month where I'll apply again for the BAPP. Hope you all won't save the offer for yourselves and leave me with nothing!!
    Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:10 am

Hi,
    I have the following timeline with my BA Amex:
    December 2017 - Opened black card
    April 2018 - Triggered Companion voucher so downgraded to Blue card

My card is currently showing the line graph of £12k spend (£8k away from a one year companion voucher). Note this spend would have included the amount that I used to get my first companion voucher. If I were to upgrade the card ow would this trigger a second voucher?

Thanks
    Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by victairinternational
    Hi,
    I have the following timeline with my BA Amex:
    December 2017 - Opened black card
    April 2018 - Triggered Companion voucher so downgraded to Blue card

My card is currently showing the line graph of £12k spend (£8k away from a one year companion voucher). Note this spend would have included the amount that I used to get my first companion voucher. If I were to upgrade the card ow would this trigger a second voucher?

Thanks
    No. But you could cancel your card and re-apply. This will reset the companion voucher clock.
    Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze

absolute no brainier 👍
    Sadly, I only applied last weekend and as the card hasn't yet arrived it's likely I'll be out of luck on this one.
    Is this sort of offer something that happens often?
    Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:29 am

absolute no brainier 👍
    Any idea how long it takes for them to credit the 500 avios? Made a transaction Mon..
    Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:50 am

Can someone be kind enough to check my thoughts on this? I think I'm right, but BA say different. I recently redeemed two reward seats from LHR-SCL-LHR using a BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher.

Got each leg in J as a one way as the seats were released, then when I booked the return I applied the voucher across both legs.

Then, as soon as availability came up, I upgraded the outbound to F, then later the inbound in F.

In terms of cash, I paid the following for 2 people when booking;
    LHR-SCL - £782.82
    SCL-LHR - £443.20
    Upgrade LHR-SCL - £70.00
    Upgrade SCL-LHR - £100.00

The taxes for 2 pax on LHR-SCL-LHR in J/F are £1,139.46.

I've been charged £782.82 + £443.20 = £1,226.02.

Also, the upgrade fee for SCL-LHR should have been £70.00 (£35pp). I seem to have been charged the extra fee for doing the transaction over the phone, even though there was no way I could have done it online.

Am I due a refund from BA on this? BA Twitter team suggesting not...
    Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
    Originally Posted by shadowline
    Can someone be kind enough to check my thoughts on this? I think I'm right, but BA say different. I recently redeemed two reward seats from LHR-SCL-LHR using a BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher.

Got each leg in J as a one way as the seats were released, then when I booked the return I applied the voucher across both legs.

Then, as soon as availability came up, I upgraded the outbound to F, then later the inbound in F.

LHR-SCL - £782.82
    SCL-LHR - £443.20
    Upgrade LHR-SCL - £70.00
    Upgrade SCL-LHR - £100.00

Also, the upgrade fee for SCL-LHR should have been £70.00 (£35pp). I seem to have been charged the extra fee for doing the transaction over the phone, even though there was no way I could have done it online.

Am I due a refund from BA on this? BA Twitter team suggesting not...
    Did you book the return online and then phone up to have the voucher applied? If so then the taxes aren't recalculated, only the avios. It's what I did for my upcoming trip to SCL (although back from GRU) and I worked out I ended up paying £50pp extra over doing it over the phone and having one booking. Your numbers look similar to what I got (although no F on the way our for me sadly). I don't know about the change fees, sorry.

Making two separate online bookings is great if you're going East, but can be very expensive if going to North America. It's a slightly higher cost for South America - I was just happy to have got the return seats, having failed the night before.
    Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
    Originally Posted by Kaveh96
    I'm thinking of referring my dad to get the BA premium amex card, I am doing it mainly for the avios I would get off his spend (and the companion voucher), can I just stick my my BAEC details in there so the avios and the voucher comes to me, or does this get checked/verified somewhere along the way?
    Petty certain this would be against TOS and borderline fraud.
    argonath likes this.
    Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:47 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by shadowline
    LHR-SCL - £782.82
    SCL-LHR - £443.20

Your post suggests that you made the outbound booking as a one-way, and then you made a separate one-way booking for the inbound.

If so, thes two figures are not comparable. The TFC are likely to be different if you book as two one-ways, compared to the TFC for the round-trip ticket.

FWIW, today's figures for these alternatives:-

LHR-SCL: £391.44
    SCL-LHR: £223.60

LHR-SCL-LHR: £534.54

So these differences appear to be broadly consistent with the figures you gave.
    Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
    Petty certain this would be against TOS and borderline fraud.
    They already posted something similar on Flyertalk in Dec 2017....
    FeedbirdNiner likes this.
    Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
    I have saved the Harvey Nichols £30 back on a £100 spend on a couple of cards, but really want to buy gift cards. It says in the T&C (as usual) that gift cards are not eligible, but I have a vague recollection of doing this a few years ago and getting the credit. Can anyone confirm practical experience on this at HN (or elsewhere ) ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.