Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Old May 8, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
    Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
    I bought a (non BA) airline ticket over the weekend on 6 May, which very comfortably took me over the £10 spend for the 2-4-1, and as of today (8 May) the spend is showing as having posted on 6 May (i.e. no longer pending). Maybe the change from pending to posted only happened today, although I am not sure about that. However, although the spend has posted, my total shown for the spend necessary to trigger the 2-4-1 has not moved. Should that not have changed immediately when the transaction changed from pending ? Is manual intervention required ?
    Should catch up shortly...
    Old May 8, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    The avios-earning part (and the target progress) usually lags a day or 2 behind.
    Old May 8, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
    Quick question as posted on another thread but didn’t get a reply.
    i currently have a regular BA AMEX, I spend quite a bit but never near the 20,000GBP to get the 2-4-1.

this year my early spending has been high (couple of nice watches :-)) and I’m already only £300 short of the £10k target I would get on BA Amex PP fo a 2-4-1.

does anybody have experience of applying for the PP card and the totals from your existing Amex transferring? Indications from older posts seem to indicate this used to happen but wondered if anybody had recent experience?

thanks.
    Old May 8, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
    Yes, you’ll get the voucher.

Just call them and get the account switched to the black card.
    duncgor likes this.
    Old May 8, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
    Originally Posted by Willphipps

i like that answer. Thank you Willphipps :-)
    Old May 8, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
    Originally Posted by duncgor
    Quick question as posted on another thread but didn’t get a reply.
    i currently have a regular BA AMEX, I spend quite a bit but never near the 20,000GBP to get the 2-4-1.

this year my early spending has been high (couple of nice watches :-)) and I’m already only £300 short of the £10k target I would get on BA Amex PP fo a 2-4-1.

does anybody have experience of applying for the PP card and the totals from your existing Amex transferring? Indications from older posts seem to indicate this used to happen but wondered if anybody had recent experience?

thanks.
    I think you should call them before hitting £10K spend, otherwise there's a risk you might get the voucher with a 1 year expiry date - I think I've seen reports of that, although might be getting confused. If you upgrade before you spend £10K you'll be fine when you do hit the target.
    Old May 8, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by omk298
    I think you should call them before hitting £10K spend, otherwise there's a risk you might get the voucher with a 1 year expiry date - I think I've seen reports of that, although might be getting confused. If you upgrade before you spend £10K you'll be fine when you do hit the target.
    yes that’s my plan, apply now and then bust it in the next month!
    Old May 8, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
    Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
    Can I just check that referring someone from a BA PP to a Gold Rewards Card definitely does get a 9,000 Avios referral bonus ? I only ask as when I click on the referral link it offers the BA PP to the person referred, I note that there is a link for the person referred to see the other cards, but does taking out any of those cards definitely give the referrer the 9,000 Avios ?

It seems odd, for example, that if a person is referred for a card which itself gives no bonus at all (I think there is a Basic card like that) the referrer should still get the referral bonus.

As a follow up, how long does the referral bonus normally take to post? I want to refer with my BAPP and am then planning to cancel it shortly afterwards.
    You'll get 9000 avios bonus for successfully referring someone for any of the other cards with the exception of the basic card, which gives no bonus at all. The person you refer will also get the enhanced signup bonus if they are eligible for a bonus (ie 22000MR instead of 20000). Currently that all also works for referring yourself as well...
    Old May 9, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Willphipps

just to confirm, I called today and Amex confirmed all anniversary dates and totals will carry over to the new card. I should have it in the next week and very soon afterwards should have my 2-4-1.

thanks for the advice everybody!
    Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:00 am

Hi all,

possibly stupid question but appreciate your help in any event.

MrsMM and I both took out BAPP cards circa 8 months ago. MrsMM achieved the welcome bonus spend and cancelled, then I got a SC on my account to use as we intend to keep this as our main credit card for daily use.

my question is, would it be possible for me to now refer MrsMM for a regular BA blue card and receive the welcome bonus? We never downgraded to regularl when she cancelled her BAPP so has never held one of these cards but not sure if having a BA Amex of any sort counts as having held these cards therefore excludes you from bonuses.

possibly slightly more ambitious, once MrsMM has her card, could she refer me to a regular blue BA Amex and get a bonus for this whilst I still retain the BAPP?

thanks in advance, anything to get that next F redemption, eh!

TheMuffinMan

Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    As long as she has not held her own BA Amex for six months, she'll get another bonus. The supplementary card on your account is irrelevant.

You cannot hold (or get a bonus) for a free BA Amex while you hold a BA PP.

These days for can refer from any card to any other. As the referrer you get 9000 avios on your BAPP regardless which card they go for. The link sent to your wife will offer her the BAPP primarily but have other options below. Therefore even once she has the free BAPP, it may be a better option for you to refer her for another card, rather than her refer you for one. The Gold Amex and/or the SPG card will give you referrer's bonuses and she'll get a bonus that can be converted to avios or otherwise.
    Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:20 am

Much appreciated I’ll do just that.

TMM
    Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
    Much appreciated I’ll do just that.

TMM
    Do you get any bonus for adding a supplementary card holder to account?
    Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:27 am

No, neither MrsMM nor I got bonuses when we added each other as SC holders on our respective BAPP cards (this was in December and January)

however earlier in this thread someone mentioned bonus avios for adding SC holders, so maybe this is an exclusive email out offer which has launched later

TheMuffinMan
    Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:44 am
    rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
    Has anyone else noticed a distinct lack of Amex Offers on their BA (PP) and Gold cards? I seem to have loads on my Platinum Charge, but BA and Gold cards are literally zero. Have been using all cards; in fact the Gold one is my main card. Seems very odd.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.