Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend Ł3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend Ł1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of Ł1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of Ł3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the Ł10,000 (or Ł20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under Ł1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: Ł2,500
    • Refund protection: Ł300 (Ł200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: Ł200 (Ł0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): Ł750 (Ł0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): Ł1,000 (Ł0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: Ł250,000 (Ł75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): Ł1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): Ł3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by ttama
    Hi. Bumping this for the Monday crowd. If no-one can answer this, does anyone know how to post comments on the HeadforPoints site, so I can ask there? I can't for the life of me find any way to ask the question there.
    Thanks
    As far as I know, there is no requirement to own an Amex card when you fly. It is, however, a requirement to pay for the taxes with an Amex card.

The only case in which you may want to keep or hold an Amex card is if you decide to cancel your booking and reuse your voucher in the future, or to make changes to an exiting booking, for which you’ll have to use an Amex card to pay.
    Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Varies
    Thanks strichener and ringingup
    Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
    Originally Posted by ringingup

As far as I know, there is no requirement to own an Amex card when you fly. It is, however, a requirement to pay for the taxes with an Amex card.

The only case in which you may want to keep or hold an Amex card is if you decide to cancel your booking and reuse your voucher in the future, or to make changes to an exiting booking, for which you’ll have to use an Amex card to pay.

Does it need to be the free BA amex, or an amex charge card could do?
    Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by DrHalxx
    Does it need to be the free BA amex, or an amex charge card could do?
    Any Amex.
    Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
    Any Amex.

Interesting, I called them to cancel my BAPP account last saturday and they directed me to downgrafe instead as they told me that I need a BA amex to pay for the taxes for the voucher, I specifically asked for the gold charge card and the agent said that it won't do
    Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
    Any Amex.
    And not only any brand of Amex it does not need to be your Amex either.
    Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:08 am

Interesting, I called them to cancel my BAPP account last saturday and they directed me to downgrafe instead as they told me that I need a BA amex to pay for the taxes for the voucher, I specifically asked for the gold charge card and the agent said that it won't do
    This is what they may tell you, but reports are different. Also it would imply that BA will have to check the bins of the cards and have the capability of discerning the type of Amex card.
    Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
    I've paid for a 241 booking with a Lloyds Amex before. Amex always say that you need a BA Amex (or even that you'd lose the voucher altogether) but there have been no reports of that happening any time recently.
    Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:22 am

Referral

Can you only refer a card that you hold now? I have a BAPP and someone I know wants the standard BA card, on the website it only lets me recommend the BAPP card. I’m sure I’ve referred people for the blue card before?
    Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Spruce-Moose
    Can you only refer a card that you hold now? I have a BAPP and someone I know wants the standard BA card, on the website it only lets me recommend the BAPP card. I’m sure I’ve referred people for the blue card before?
    You can actually refer for ANY card now, even the charge cards. The person who is referred just needs to choose the option to see other cards in the referral landing page.
    Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
    That said, the referral bonus depends on which card you have. BAPP gives 9k when you refer, but if you refer as a BA Standard holder it seems you only get 4k, even if referring to premium. I need to rethink my churn strategy....
    Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:43 am

Hi all. Grateful for advice on the forum. I currently have a 2-4-1 booking made and am on the lookout for availability on a slightly later return. However I am thinking of cancelling my BA Amex. Would that matter should I be fortunate enough to need to change the return? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I can’t find a specific datapoint on this. The closest I can get to is that voucher will be returned if booking is cancelled. But unsure if a change in booking means the booking is transiently cancelled and voucher goes into the ether.

Thank u all for advice!
    Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
    Originally Posted by asy949
    Hi all. Grateful for advice on the forum. I currently have a 2-4-1 booking made and am on the lookout for availability on a slightly later return. However I am thinking of cancelling my BA Amex. Would that matter should I be fortunate enough to need to change the return? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I can’t find a specific datapoint on this. The closest I can get to is that voucher will be returned if booking is cancelled. But unsure if a change in booking means the booking is transiently cancelled and voucher goes into the ether.

Thank u all for advice!
    You don't need to keep the BA Amex to change the return. You should make sure you have an Amex card of some description available to pay the change fee and any increase in charges.
    ringingup likes this.
    Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by omk298
    You don't need to keep the BA Amex to change the return. You should make sure you have an Amex card of some description available to pay the change fee and any increase in charges.
    fantastic thanks!!
    Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Varies
    Did anyone else get this emailed offer from Amex?
    "You can now go even further when you spend on your Card. An exclusive 1,000 bonus Avios for you when you shop via the British Airways Avios eStore between 6 April and 6 May."

The T&C's say you must use your BAPP, and that the bonus will be awarded in July.

I made a purchase from the estore on April 6th and have received confirmation from BA that the normal (66) avios are pending and will be awarded within 40 days. There was no mention of the 1,000 bonus avios. I'll put a note in my diary to check whether they arrive in July.

I don't usually use the estore, so maybe I was targeted for the bonus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.