Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze (woohoo)
    Hi all - quick one - I've spent £10k on the normal BA Amex - if i upgrade to the premium will I get the 241 voucher instantly? Also, what happens if i downgrade a month later - will i keep the voucher if I haven't used it?
    Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
    Originally Posted by Etting
    Hi all - quick one - I've spent £10k on the normal BA Amex - if i upgrade to the premium will I get the 241 voucher instantly? Also, what happens if i downgrade a month later - will i keep the voucher if I haven't used it?
    Spend you've made on the Basic card does count towards the £10k required on the PP card. Given that you've already passed the £10k threshold, the voucher should trigger immediately. The voucher then sits in your BA account and shouldn't be affected by downgrading (or even cancelling) your BA(PP) card.
    Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:26 am
    rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
    Originally Posted by BERbound
    Check your Amex offers for 1500 free avios when you spend £100 or more online at BA.com. Mine is valid untill 30th Jan.
    Mine is for £15 back when you spend £100 with BA online... until 31st Jan in my case.
    Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:11 am

Question

Originally Posted by rum
    Mine is for £15 back when you spend £100 with BA online... until 31st Jan in my case.
    30th January for me too :strange:
    Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
    My friend has applied and been excepted for a blue BA Amex. He has not received the card yet. If he cancels now and applies for the PP black BA Amex (via a link I provide him to earn me Avios) - will he still get the 25k Avios AMEX are offer customers?
    Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    i've just triggared the voucher by hitting the £10k spend but am desperate for the voucher as there are 2 seats available now.

I just called Amex and they gave me the voucher number but I can't see where to enter it on BA.com I know if left to appear they are offered at the start of the booking process but I was told this could take a coupleof weeks.

Will my only option be to call and if I do will I have to pay an offline booking fee?
    Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: QR Gold
    Apologies if this has been covered but I didn't fancy reading through 109 pages to find out!

I've been approved for the BA card and need to know how long I will have to activate it once the card arrives? Is there any kind of time limit on activating such as 7 days etc?
    Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
    Just got upgraded on my online account to the BAPP from the classic BA amex. On my account it doesn't show my progress towards the voucher and the pending avios yet. I am only a purchase sort to make before I get the 2 for 1 voucher. Should I do it now or to wait for the card to arrive or make the purchase now? My statement period ends on the 4th of Feb
    Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:09 am

Hi, I've had my BA PP Amex for a few months now and my Avios are all pooling in my Amex account and not transferring to my BAEC account. Am I meant to trigger a transfer like I do with my Amex Platinum card, or will they magically appear in my BAEC account at some point in the near future?
    Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by crablin
    Hi, I've had my BA PP Amex for a few months now and my Avios are all pooling in my Amex account and not transferring to my BAEC account. Am I meant to trigger a transfer like I do with my Amex Platinum card, or will they magically appear in my BAEC account at some point in the near future?
    No, they should be transferred automatically a few days before your statement is issued.

Call Amex.
    Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
    No, they should be transferred automatically a few days before your statement is issued.

Call Amex.
    I thought that was the case. Thanks for your help.
    ringingup likes this.
    Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

I'm sorry if this has been covered anywhere else but does anyone have any insight into the future of the BA Amex since Amex lost it's EU appeal on interchange fees? With a 0.3% cap on interchange fees coming into place surely the current 1.5 avios per £1.00 on the premium card can't be maintained?

My personal guess would be (at least some) spend will go towards status (as it does with a number of US airlines).
    Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Varies
    I have a query about how to make the most (and pay the least fees) of the BAPPs we use for our BAEC household account.

I have a BAPP, and my OH is a supplementary cardmember on my account. My membership year started Feb 2018, I've paid my £195 fee and we've started using this account for our next £10k spend. I have one unused 2-4-1 voucher, valid until Jan 2020.

My OH also has a BAPP, with me as the supplementary cardholder on his account. His membership year also started Feb 2018 and he's paid his £195 fee. He booked a 2-4-1 flight with his last companion voucher; we're due to fly it in July/Aug. We've not spent much on this account so far in this membership year, and don't intend to until I've hit £10k. I don't know when that will be.

He'd forgotten about the £195 annual fee which has just hit his account. He's asked for advice on whether it's best to close his account altogether to get a pro-rata refund, or to downgrade to blue (ditto). My thoughts are that if he downgrades to Blue he'll still have his own Amex account when we fly his 2-4-1, which I thought was a mandatory requirement. If he closes it he'll only be a supplementary cardholder on my account, but the advantage of that is that he can start the 6-month wait until I can refer him for a new card and get the avios bonus (assuming it's still available by then).

I read (a few posts back) that although he needs to be an Amex cardholder when we take the 2-4-1 flight that he booked, it's OK if he's a supplementary cardholder on my account. Is that correct and is it OK if he closes his account, or should he play safe and downgrade his account to Blue?

Thanks for your help.
    Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: Varies
    Originally Posted by ttama
    I have a query about how to make the most (and pay the least fees) of the BAPPs we use for our BAEC household account.

I have a BAPP, and my OH is a supplementary cardmember on my account. My membership year started Feb 2018, I've paid my £195 fee and we've started using this account for our next £10k spend. I have one unused 2-4-1 voucher, valid until Jan 2020.

My OH also has a BAPP, with me as the supplementary cardholder on his account. His membership year also started Feb 2018 and he's paid his £195 fee. He booked a 2-4-1 flight with his last companion voucher; we're due to fly it in July/Aug. We've not spent much on this account so far in this membership year, and don't intend to until I've hit £10k. I don't know when that will be.

He'd forgotten about the £195 annual fee which has just hit his account. He's asked for advice on whether it's best to close his account altogether to get a pro-rata refund, or to downgrade to blue (ditto). My thoughts are that if he downgrades to Blue he'll still have his own Amex account when we fly his 2-4-1, which I thought was a mandatory requirement. If he closes it he'll only be a supplementary cardholder on my account, but the advantage of that is that he can start the 6-month wait until I can refer him for a new card and get the avios bonus (assuming it's still available by then).

I read (a few posts back) that although he needs to be an Amex cardholder when we take the 2-4-1 flight that he booked, it's OK if he's a supplementary cardholder on my account. Is that correct and is it OK if he closes his account, or should he play safe and downgrade his account to Blue?

Thanks for your help.
    Hi. Bumping this for the Monday crowd. If no-one can answer this, does anyone know how to post comments on the HeadforPoints site, so I can ask there? I can't for the life of me find any way to ask the question there.
    Thanks
    Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by ttama
    Hi. Bumping this for the Monday crowd. If no-one can answer this, does anyone know how to post comments on the HeadforPoints site, so I can ask there? I can't for the life of me find any way to ask the question there.
    Thanks
    Cancel the second BAPP card, take the pro-rata refund and use the supplementary card for the 2-4-1. I was in the exact same position and closed by BAPP, leaving the wife's as the only account and I had no problem using the card for a 2-4-1 in my name.

ETA: Amex did tell me that I would lose any 2-4-1's on the account but I had already read that this didn't happen and I still have another 2-4-1 that I earned showing as usable on my account even after cancelling the BAPP.

Last edited by strichener; Mar 19, 2018 at 7:07 am Reason: Second para

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.