Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend Ł3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend Ł1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of Ł1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of Ł3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the Ł10,000 (or Ł20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under Ł1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: Ł2,500
    • Refund protection: Ł300 (Ł200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: Ł200 (Ł0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): Ł750 (Ł0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): Ł1,000 (Ł0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: Ł250,000 (Ł75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): Ł1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): Ł3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
    One other quickie: Mrs FF99 has just referred me for my own new BA PP+ as I haven't had one for a few years. Does anyone know whether it will affect the referral bonus she would get (or my own as well), if I now downgrade her card ?
    Her referral bonus should appear in just a couple of days (if you don't get an automatic acceptance of your application, the first you'll probably know of an offline acceptance is the arrival of her bonus). So if there's not a pressing need to downgrade her I would wait a few days to avoid any potential hassle.
    Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
    Originally Posted by pauldb
    Her referral bonus should appear in just a couple of days (if you don't get an automatic acceptance of your application, the first you'll probably know of an offline acceptance is the arrival of her bonus). So if there's not a pressing need to downgrade her I would wait a few days to avoid any potential hassle.
    Thanks for all the helpful info. Just to clarify, where will Mrs FF99's referral bonus appear (as the person who made the referral): straight in the EC account or showing somewhere on the Amex website ?
    Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:38 am

In addition to my last question in the post above how would this scenario work out: Mrs FF99 has had a PP card for years and has just referred me for a PP card (I have not had one for years). When I get my card we will downgrade her card by applying for a Blue card for her and thereby trigger the automatic cancellation of her PP card.

What would happen if she applies for the Blue card on the basis of a referral from my newly opened PP card ? I can't see another round of bonuses kicking in for her 'new' Blue card, but just maybe ?? Or will this definitely not work ?? Would it make any difference if we called up to close her PP card before I refer her for the Blue card from my new PP. I am sure I am overthinking this !!
    Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:47 pm

Her referral points will appear on the Amex avios balance until they are swept over monthly like any other avios earned on the card.

You referring her for the downgrade is a neat idea. It shouldn't work by why not chance it. Cancelling shouldn't either as she's meant to let six months elapse but again who knows. Does she have a voucher outstanding: that might be put at risk by cancelling. If not , why downgrade at all. Just cancel and get the six months rolling.
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
    Originally Posted by mike&co
    Yes, I've just done it for my wife - don't be too surprised when you don't get an immediate acceptance, this is standard when downgrading.
    Do you get a pro-rata refund of the annual fee taken from your balance and does any balance just transfer over to the new card?
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Originally Posted by EDI_Martin
    Do you get a pro-rata refund of the annual fee taken from your balance and does any balance just transfer over to the new card?
    PM on its way
    Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:07 am
    rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
    Is there a discussion anywhere (on FT or elsewhere) about combining a BA 241 with a Lloyds card upgrade voucher? We will soon be a family of 4: 2 adults, 1 child (2-11) and 1 infant (< 2).
    Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by rum
    Is there a discussion anywhere (on FT or elsewhere) about combining a BA 241 with a Lloyds card upgrade voucher? We will soon be a family of 4: 2 adults, 1 child (2-11) and 1 infant (< 2).
    Ad hoc discussion! You'd have to make 2 separate bookings: one through BAEC for the Amex cardholder and the child, and one through avios.com for the Lloyds cardholder. The infant can go on either.

Note that adults need to be "opposite" cardholders, though you may get around this on by forming an avios.com HH account, if you get caught out by it.

I have managed to do exactly this for our family - it's an efficient solution for 3 ad/ch but a bit of a faff! Booking the Lloyds voucher at 355 days is trickier if you need to do that.
    Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:38 am
    rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
    Originally Posted by pauldb
    Ad hoc discussion! You'd have to make 2 separate bookings: one through BAEC for the Amex cardholder and the child, and one through avios.com for the Lloyds cardholder. The infant can go on either.

Note that adults need to be "opposite" cardholders, though you may get around this on by forming an avios.com HH account, if you get caught out by it.

I have managed to do exactly this for our family - it's an efficient solution for 3 ad/ch but a bit of a faff! Booking the Lloyds voucher at 355 days is trickier if you need to do that.
    Thanks! I suppose there is no guarantee then that we'll all sit together?

Is there no blog page somewhere that explains the whole process?

I have an Avios.com account (obviously - given the LL card), but will need to create a Household account I guess. Seems like the avios site has issues though - it's stuck on some strange pop-up window asking me to update my details. No matter what I enter, after clicking 'submit my details', it says there is a problem and there is no way to close the window!
    Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:42 am

Q question regarding the Amex Offers. I have just gone through the process of Mrs FF99 referring me for a new BAPP card, and was planning to cancel hers.

However I am hesitating about cancelling her card, as she had some very good offers on her card (Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Connaught, Cote, etc) before Xmas, and with those offers we recouped most of the annual fee. Maybe that was something of a one off, and I don't really know that as I have never previously paid much attention to the offers.

On my new BAPP card there are currently no offers. My question is whether offers have to be earned by spend / length of card-membership, and whether PP offers are better than/ different from Blue Card offers. Or are the offers pretty much the same all across the board ?
    Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
    PM on its way
    Hi Mike - could you send me the same PM as hoping to do the same with my PP. thanks!
    Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by ENTP
    Hi Mike - could you send me the same PM as hoping to do the same with my PP. thanks!
    Ditto !!
    Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by ENTP
    Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
    Ditto !!
    Will do
    Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:10 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Will do
    In the spirit of what FlyerTalk is all about, is there any reason why you cannot post the information publicly so others may be able to benefit from your wisdom?
    Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    In the spirit of what FlyerTalk is all about, is there any reason why you cannot post the information publicly so others may be able to benefit from your wisdom?
    Apologies Tobias-UK, you're absolutely correct. I was conscious of that when another couple of requests posted. I'm no expert but have some experience of the downgrade application process when changing from PP to blue and fee credits etc. It was discussed down thread via posts 1358 - 1361. However, I should have taken into account the length of the thread and the fact that not all members check the Amex thread regularly, so it can potentially get lost in traffic.

Yes, re the balance and pro rata refund. If your balance doesn't transfer across (it should) a short email to customer services will do the trick. I had to do something similar when my wife had a Ł52 refund applied to her zero balance account on her PP / downgraded blue card. This is a summarised version of what I sent in addition to the above via PM, fairly straightforward to many on here but fwiw;

I've just reapplied for the Amex gold rewards cards for both of us (both cards were previously cancelled last year) and that's just generated a serious amount of Amex rewards (avios) points. Imo, the benefits / offers are excellent on the gold card, including 2 lounge passes per card. Used 2 of our vouchers at Edinburgh on Saturday (easyjet flight to Madrid) at the Aspire (very impressed at the breakfast offering). Insofar as the blue card is concerned, not as many offers (as expected) but it's now sitting with a zero balance until the 6 months is up and we'll reapply again and cancel mine. We have 3 x 241 vouchers on our accounts and, unfortunately, we will see one expire in August without being able to use it due to other holiday plans this year - that's painful. Kids are now 21 and 18 so not the same demand to use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.