Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
    I completely missed this a few months ago, but you can now use Amex Pay in the UK via their own app on Android phones for NFC payments. Annoying that they haven't joined Android Pay yet but at least it's a start.

It was one of the reasons I moved to an iPhone but may go back if Google release a nice phone.
    Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
    misread the above - deleted!
    Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Has anyone noticed the new amex referral page? I have a BAPP Card and an amex cashback card currently, i can only refer people to those two cards - i can no longer use my BAPP to refer someone for the free BA credit card....tightening of the rules or is there a way around this???

Thanks
    GavT
    Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Amex Platinum
    Originally Posted by GavT_london
    Has anyone noticed the new amex referral page? I have a BAPP Card and an amex cashback card currently, i can only refer people to those two cards - i can no longer use my BAPP to refer someone for the free BA credit card....tightening of the rules or is there a way around this???

Thanks
    GavT
    the person being refered has the option of selecting another card after clicking on the referral link
    Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
    Originally Posted by GavT_london

Thanks
    GavT
    It's still possible, see here...

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...onditions.html
    Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
    Using my Amex to buy sterling travellers cheque to pay for driving lessons

Hello,

I am in the process of learning to drive. The school which i choose only takes cash, Visa, MasterCard and cheques. I wonder if i can just go to the post office and buy the sterling cheque and hand it in to the Instructor? Does it count as a pirchase or a cash advance? I really want to earn the signup bonus on the free amex card...

Thanks a lot.

P.s. Imagine the horror when you pay with a travellers cheque these days
    Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
    Originally Posted by cysyuen
    Hello,

I am in the process of learning to drive. The school which i choose only takes cash, Visa, MasterCard and cheques. I wonder if i can just go to the post office and buy the sterling cheque and hand it in to the Instructor? Does it count as a pirchase or a cash advance? I really want to earn the signup bonus on the free amex card...

Thanks a lot.

P.s. Imagine the horror when you pay with a travellers cheque these days
    Or you could just cash the cheques and pay the instructor with that. Your don't have to hand them over of course, they can be made out to you.
    Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
    Originally Posted by sunshinebob
    Or you could just cash the cheques and pay the instructor with that. Your don't have to hand them over of course, they can be made out to you.
    Thats true! I wonder if i can use my amex to pay for the cheques? Can't fimd the optjon to use amex on the post office webpage...

Last edited by cysyuen; Jan 24, 2017 at 3:42 pm
    Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC, QF.
    May be a silly question - I seem to be building up a fair number of avoid points on my BA Amex card, but I have no idea how to transfer them to my BAEC account. Any tips?
    Thanks!
    Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:39 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by studyolic
    May be a silly question - I seem to be building up a fair number of avoid points on my BA Amex card, but I have no idea how to transfer them to my BAEC account. Any tips?
    Thanks!
    Log into your acount, go to Rewards, Travel, Airline Partners and fill the boxes in.

Here
    Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:00 pm

I take it if you upgrade to the Premium BA Amex card the spending is reset back to zero for 2-4-1 qualifying ?
    Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
    Thanks!
    Originally Posted by PETER01
    Log into your acount, go to Rewards, Travel, Airline Partners and fill the boxes in.

Here
    I think two types of card are being confused here. The method PETER01 has outlined is for an Amex MR-earning card such as the Platinum.
    I think the question is actually regarding a BA Amex Card, in which case you don't have to do anything to move them, they will go across automatically once a month to your BAEC account. Nothing you can do AFAIK to hasten them across I'm afraid.
    Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
    Originally Posted by argonath
    I take it if you upgrade to the Premium BA Amex card the spending is reset back to zero for 2-4-1 qualifying ?
    Do you mean from the BA Free Credit card? No I don't believe it is, if you have reached £10k on free card you will automatically trigger the 2-4-1 upon upgrading. In fact some people will choose to do this as a way of avoiding the £195 fee.
    Also worth doing this as the voucher you would earn under the Premium Plus card would have a 2 year validity v 1 year validity if earned from free card.
    Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Thanks!
    They should be swept over to your BAEC account monthly. If they aren't there may be something wrong in the linkage (e.g. if your BAEC account isn't UK basd?).
    Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:29 am

Are there any restrictions on the type of open-jaw tickets that can be booked with the companion voucher? I want to book EDI-LHR-BLL out and TLS-LHR-EDI back. I realize this isn't great value for the voucher but it's either that or it expires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.