Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:19 am
    Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
    Originally Posted by koroleon
    Does anyone have a recent experience with Amex foreign currency? I tried it for the first time and I unknowingly exceeded the daily limit and the transaction was declined. Amex sent me a warning email that I tried to withdraw cash - I hope it's not treated as a cash advance if I try again with a lower amount. Also, looking at the headforpoints site, there used to be some offers like "spend X and earn 500 bonus Avios" - do you know if there's any ongoing deal at the moment?
    I order my currency and have it delivered.

I know i can get a slightly better rate at post office or M&S but my logic is

- it gets delivered
    - it's not viewed as a cash advance on amex thus have 56 days credit
    - I get some avios
    Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by dc2447
    I order my currency and have it delivered.

I know i can get a slightly better rate at post office or M&S but my logic is

- it gets delivered
    - it's not viewed as a cash advance on amex thus have 56 days credit
    - I get some avios
    Thanks for your reply. In the end I went with a different solution because I needed more than my cash advance limit and I couldn't be bothered to split my orders. And in a funny twist of things, headforpoints has an article about this today
    Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
    241 Voucher - Downgrade from Premium (Black) to Standard (Blue)

I want to downgrade my Premium BA card to the Blue one and I have a 241 voucher sitting in my BA account which I want to use, but not yet.

Will I still be able to use my 241 voucher?
    Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
    Originally Posted by stevejnr
    I want to downgrade my Premium BA card to the Blue one and I have a 241 voucher sitting in my BA account which I want to use, but not yet.

Will I still be able to use my 241 voucher?
    Yes.
    Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
    just a quick question - does the name on Amex Gold have to match exactly the BAEC account name as it does with the BAPP? I'm wanting to refer my wife who uses her married name (and her maiden name as a middle name) for everything here but her passport (US) and therefore her BAEC account is still in her maiden name. Would she run into problems trying to transfer points?
    Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:24 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Originally Posted by gustavmahler
    just a quick question - does the name on Amex Gold have to match exactly the BAEC account name as it does with the BAPP? I'm wanting to refer my wife who uses her married name (and her maiden name as a middle name) for everything here but her passport (US) and therefore her BAEC account is still in her maiden name. Would she run into problems trying to transfer points?
    Yes, she will have a problem.
    Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
    Originally Posted by Raffles
    Yes, she will have a problem.
    Thanks Raffles - maiden name it will be again, then!
    Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: EBG, FBG, SPG Gold, CC Gold, etc.
    Is there still a referral bonus available on AMEX? About to sign up and thought I would check before doing so
    Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:17 am
    27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
    Originally Posted by Everest
    Is there still a referral bonus available on AMEX? About to sign up and thought I would check before doing so
    There is; should you want to take it up, I'm sure you can find many people (including me...) willing to oblige!
    Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:23 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Everest
    I wouldn't rush into such a big decision.

Think about it until, say, Thursday.
    Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by Raffles
    I wouldn't rush into such a big decision.

Think about it until, say, Thursday.
    I'm having issues receiving a referral from OH anyway, i.e. no email received. Maybe I will wait till, em, Thursday..?
    Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Virgin Red
    Originally Posted by peterdudas
    Yes.
    I have just used my 241 and will pay off the card next month, do I still need to keep either BA AMEX card?
    Can't see me using it again for a while.
    Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:13 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by User_4444
    I have just used my 241 and will pay off the card next month, do I still need to keep either BA AMEX card?
    Nope, as long as you are sure you won't cancel your 241 (may be an issue recrediting voucher if no longer a cardholder).

Keep hold of the cancelled card, assuming you used it to pay the 241 taxes. Outside chance you will be asked to show it at check in.
    Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by User_4444
    Assuming that you have the PP card now and want to avoid the annual fee, why not just downgrade it to the fee free blue card? It never does any harm to have another card just in case of problems with your primary credit card.
    Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:07 am

I called yesterday to upgrade my amex to premium and trigger the 241 voucher.
    They told me to do it online, just as a new card and on the last steps put my card number and this will be treated as a upgrade.
    Anyone did it that way?
    Can I use a referral bonus as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.