Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
    Hang on - I think I missed something here.

My wife has a supplementary card under box my Gold and BAPP. Can I refer her for these and have her apply (probably best not at the same time!) so that we get another welcome bonus (and 241 for the BAPP)?!

Does it matter that we share a bank account?
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by gustavmahler
    Hang on - I think I missed something here.

My wife has a supplementary card under box my Gold and BAPP. Can I refer her for these and have her apply (probably best not at the same time!) so that we get another welcome bonus (and 241 for the BAPP)?!

1) Yes you can
    2) I have no idea
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:27 am

That is great news. Not sure how I never knew about that.

Now I just need to convince her that it's worth the faff (she will see it that way!).

Thanks for the help!
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    No it does not matter. Both my wife and I hold the BA Premium Amex and both have DD coming out the same account.

I referred my wife for her card, and also the Gold card she holds, and then I cancelled my Gold.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by parklife
    I referred my wife for her card, and also the Gold card she holds, and then I cancelled my Gold.
    So that you can apply for yours again in six months and get the welcome bonus? I guess we could do that with the PPs as well?
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:57 am

So that you can apply for yours again in six months and get the welcome bonus? I guess we could do that with the PPs as well?
    Likely to leave it more towards the 12 month point but ultimately yes that is the plan.

I don't intend to do the same with the PP though, don't want to annoy them!
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:04 am

Good point.

This discovery makes the whole devaluation not nearly as bad. I’m new to Amex (since September) and have since got (and spent) a 241, and received 45k in Avios (welcome bonus and spend). Just signed up for the Gold, so that will be another 24k at least after the 3 months. Now with the knowledge that we can do the same for my wife, even just to get the bonuses (and not 241), that gives me getting on for 100k without having set foot on a plane.

I really should have done this years ago!
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by MrMutton
    double bonus points (and some people report more in glitches) on travel, supermarket and foreign spend
    Think I read recently this will stop in the next few months unfortunately! No more 3 or 4x spending for Amazon, Uber and Airbnb...
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:18 am

Good point.

This discovery makes the whole devaluation not nearly as bad. I’m new to Amex (since September) and have since got (and spent) a 241, and received 45k in Avios (welcome bonus and spend). Just signed up for the Gold, so that will be another 24k at least after the 3 months. Now with the knowledge that we can do the same for my wife, even just to get the bonuses (and not 241), that gives me getting on for 100k without having set foot on a plane.

I really should have done this years ago!
    The Gold is actually a great card for the first year, just before getting rid of mine I racked up 115k of points for moving my supermarket, petrol and travel spend to this card, plus a few referrals and the 7.5k bonus for spending 15k....had to pay the fee for the 2nd year, but as soon as the points posted and I moved them out I cancelled for a pro rata refund.

The supplemtary card bonuses at 5k per card is good as well - so best to refer the wife, waits until she gets the card and then apply for a supplementary card.

Also the Gold credit card - 3k bonus for £500 spend - can only be held if you have the Gold charge card.

Anywhere where there is no bonus spend goes to my BA PP.

With everything you never know how long the sign up bonuses will be around for, and if they will make a move to the one bonus per card per lifetime as they have done in the US.

The SPG Amex is another good one when the increased bonus of 20k appears, which is normally transferred to 20k Avios.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:44 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    Originally Posted by parklife
    The SPG Amex is another good one when the increased bonus of 20k appears, which is normally transferred to 20k Avios.
    20k SPG transfers to 25k avios.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by nux
    20k SPG transfers to 25k avios.
    Doh that is what I meant
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:58 am

This is really useful - thanks for your help.

So, once we have exhausted welcome bonuses we should use Gold for things like petrol (not much - I live in London and use public transport most of the time), Sainsbury's shops and travel and then BA PP for the rest? Is Gold better for BA spend than BA PP?

Then keep an eye on the SPG for when the increased bonus appears.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:09 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    So, once we have exhausted welcome bonuses we should use Gold for things like petrol (not much - I live in London and use public transport most of the time), Sainsbury's shops and travel and then BA PP for the rest? Is Gold better for BA spend than BA PP?

Yes you could both spend on one account (waiting 6 months for the other). BAPP earns 3 avios/£ and Gold earns 2MR/£, however MR's can be converted to other airlines/hotel programs.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Currently hold Amex Gold and BAPP both in my name with my wife being a supplementary cardholder. I guess the best thing for us is to earn the Amex Gold bonus and the Amex 241, and then for me to cancel my cards and for her to take out the same ones (presumably though I should refer her first so there will be some overlap), and then rinse and repeat 6 months down the line. My question is - what happens to my Amex 241 if I haven't spent it when I want to cancel the BAPP?
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:42 am

This is really useful - thanks for your help.

As nux says BA PP is better for BA spend. Any other hotels, travel (DLR, trains, flights), supermarket and petrol you will get better on Gold. Anything that is not a bonus category for year 1 then put on BA PP.

I even have the OH trained on what card to use and when, although I have to take one of the BA PP out of her purse so not to confuse her on which one to use!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.