Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by Mattyb44
    Offered no. But have you tried to cancel, or told them you are thinking about it?
    Should we have a thread for UK retention offers?
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:09 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by ringingup
    Should we have a thread for UK retention offers?
    Can't you just add a retention offers section and any specific ones to the wiki on this thread? I get the feeling that the retention offers are not particulay forthcoming anyway.
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    Can't you just add a retention offers section and any specific ones to the wiki on this thread? I get the feeling that the retention offers are not particulay forthcoming anyway.
    True. I'll do it now.
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
    Originally Posted by Mattyb44
    Offered no. But have you tried to cancel, or told them you are thinking about it?
    No, never even gave it a thought. If you decide to let us know how you get on.
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
    Originally Posted by mc1973
    No, never even gave it a thought. If you decide to let us know how you get on.
    Will call tonight and see how I get on. Plan to call next month about my Plat as well but thats another story, but I expect something from them with £45-50k put through it last year!
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
    I downgraded last year - on the phone they told me just to make an application from scratch for the free BA card.

It worked, behind the scenes they cancelled the Plat one and sent out the new free card. The voucher remained intact!
    Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by goglobalnz
    I downgraded last year - on the phone they told me just to make an application from scratch for the free BA card.

It worked, behind the scenes they cancelled the Plat one and sent out the new free card. The voucher remained intact!
    The OH tried that and put in the existing card details. She received the holding statement instead of immediate approval, is this normal?
    Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
    I've been a customer since 2011 and every time I apply for a new card I get the holding statement and have never had instant approval.

It tends to come through in a matter of days not weeks though
    Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:03 am

I'm aware that there have been numerous threads on this but a search does not give me a definitive answer based on their experience.

We (wife and I) currently have 2 BAPP cards, we have companion vouchers on both cards and have booked travel using both vouchers but not flying until 2015.

My question is if I cancel our 2nd card is the assumption correct that nothing will happen to the companion voucher because I've already booked with it, with the only issue being having to cancel because we cannot fly?

The plan is to cancel down our 2nd card due to current travel plans for 2016 (no need for 2nd companion voucher) and look at a second card again later in early 2016.
    Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:21 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Yes, no problem.
    Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
    Yes, no problem.
    Thanks rob
    Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
    The Amex Small Shop offer is back next week (£5 credit on a £10 spend)

http://www.amexshopsmall.co.uk

The Offer apparently started yesterday according to the above page, but the registration opens on either the 10th or 12th, depending on which page you read. I'll not be buy anything until I've registered.

The offer lasts for 28 days and you can get only one £5 credit per merchant, per card. It'll work for Amex issued cards and those issued by MBNA, Barclays, Lloyds or TSB.

Some people might want to start planning next weeks shopping - the list of merchants is already on the map and there's many certainly more in my area than there was when they previously ran this offer.
    Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:27 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
    It's a little curious. I got the offer with my snailmail statement yesterday. (Hey, AmEx? What's this? Telling me about a promotion before it starts? )

Small Business Saturday is 6 December and Think Big Shop Small lasts from 6 to 21 December.

Details: http://www.amexshopsmall.co.uk/cardm...-billinginsert
    Poor map: http://www.amexshopsmall.co.uk/map.html
    Register for the promotion from 10 November. Assumption: all AmEx cards qualify, including MBNA, Lloyds, TSB, Barclays ...

I see some merchants including our chemist are already displaying stickers.
    Old Nov 8, 2014, 12:56 pm

Can anyone tell me if purchases in a foreign currency (not bureau de change but actual purchases) count towards the 3k spend to trigger the bonus avios?

The Ts&Cs say 'foreign exchange' is not included which is a bit unclear.

Thinking of getting this card and then booking an ex-EU on it but I believe this means I'll be charged in euros so I just wanted to check. Thanks if anyone can confirm.
    Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:00 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Originally Posted by jackqu7
    Can anyone tell me if purchases in a foreign currency (not bureau de change but actual purchases) count towards the 3k spend to trigger the bonus avios?

The Ts&Cs say 'foreign exchange' is not included which is a bit unclear.

Thinking of getting this card and then booking an ex-EU on it but I believe this means I'll be charged in euros so I just wanted to check. Thanks if anyone can confirm.
    1. By 'foreign exchange' they only mean if you use your card at an FX place like Travelex to get cash. Overseas purchases DO count just fine.

2. Ironically, though, if you order foreign currency using your BA Amex from Amex's own travelmoneynow.co.uk service for home delivery, it DOES count as a purchase and you earn Avios on the transaction and it will count towards the £3k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.