Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
    Originally Posted by Delboy65
    Not BA AMEX specific but..
    is it just me that is having to use a passcode EACH TIME to access the AMEX app (on Android)?

i use fingerprint , then, since Friday, anytime I try to log on i need to use the Passcode

Dont get me totally wrong, happy with the extra layer of security.. but every time?
    Working perfectly for me, Android 12 on a Pixel 6.
    Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
    Not BA AMEX specific but..
    is it just me that is having to use a passcode EACH TIME to access the AMEX app (on Android)?

i use fingerprint , then, since Friday, anytime I try to log on i need to use the Passcode

Dont get me totally wrong, happy with the extra layer of security.. but every time?
    This could be related to the issues Amex had on Friday (globally). Have you tried to log out and sign back in again?
    Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: British Airways
    Originally Posted by Savvysaz
    yes - every time! Even if you ask it to remember my device. I’m iPhone though but still, I feel the annoyance
    Originally Posted by AJA_
    Are you saying you've previously been able to book online for 3 passengers and applied the companion voucher at the same time? I don't think this was ever possible but defer to your prior experience.

If you can see 4 seats when you search you should definitely be able to book and apply the voucher to 2 of those seats online. Then just book the third seat separately online as well. You might be able to do what you want by phoning though I suspect you will still end up with two separate booking references.

In the 1st two screen grabs I've used thr premium companion voucher to search for 3 seats. When I select to book I get the message shown in the 5th screenshot. If I search for 3 seats without using the voucher there is no avios availability for the same date. Is this how it should be? I thought voucher opened up more seats and you weren't restricted to only two seats.
    Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
    I think the BA website is right. You need 2 companion vouchers even though you only want 3 seats. It is not possible to do online what you want. I would just buy the two seats using the companion voucher and then do a separate booking for the single seat.
    Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
    Originally Posted by csdavidson
    This could be related to the issues Amex had on Friday (globally). Have you tried to log out and sign back in again?
    I hadn't, but have done so now and all back to normal..
    Thank you
    Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
    Why do they make it so hard? It is so rare that I chose to pay to fly on BA, but I have tried repeatedly to by a flight to BAH and every time on the web site and BA app they tell me my BA Amex card is declined If I go and book with TK, I know it will work. What a shambles.
    Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
    Originally Posted by DaveS
    Why do they make it so hard? It is so rare that I chose to pay to fly on BA, but I have tried repeatedly to by a flight to BAH and every time on the web site and BA app they tell me my BA Amex card is declined If I go and book with TK, I know it will work. What a shambles.
    is this a recent issue, as about 4-6 weeks ago I used my BAPP to make interim payments on 2 separate BAH bookings
    Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:25 am

is this a recent issue, as about 4-6 weeks ago I used my BAPP to make interim payments on 2 separate BAH bookings
    I don't know how recent it is, but it is not working now. Submitting a payment takes you through the Amex Safekey screen which works, but then there is a long wait before the BA web site says the transaction was declined. It looks like something is timing out on the BA side.
    Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:42 am

Failed to use mine just now via Google Pay. Odd.
    Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:21 am

I did manage to pay BA after many attempts but it now looks to be failing on heathrow.com. Switching to MC solved it.
    Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:08 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Downgrading from the PP Card

What's the easy way? Phone Amex in UK?
    Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:37 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by NeverFirst
    I just called Amex and asked to downgrade to the free BA card. They refused.
    So I asked to close my account and now they're making me jump through hoops to do that (I'm currently on the phone with them being transferred to "another department").

Edited to add: cancellation department downgraded me and I'll get a pro-rata refund of whatever I paid last year. Still, an unnecessarily awkward process...
    About to do the same ... do you get a new card number? I ask because my current one is registered with a number of entities and will be a PITA to re-register with them all!

BTW, I assume you called the CS number on the card?
    Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
    Offer available to add to my BA Business Amex this morning - £100 back as a statement credit when spending £500 or more. I also have the BAPP Amex but it wasn’t available to add to that card:

Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:03 am

I’m pretty sure the answer is yes but grateful if someone could confirm that when obtaining the Platinum Amex charge card, eligibility for any sign up bonus wouldn’t be impacted by holding a current BA Amex (black or blue card)?

There is a generous 70k Amex points available through a referral when signing up by 1 June. 6k spend in 6 months. Thinking of taking the annual fee hit and then cancelling once the miles are in the bank.
    Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by iamfrequentlyatflyertalk
    I’m pretty sure the answer is yes but grateful if someone could confirm that when obtaining the Platinum Amex charge card, eligibility for any sign up bonus wouldn’t be impacted by holding a current BA Amex (black or blue card)?

There is a generous 70k Amex points available through a referral when signing up by 1 June. 6k spend in 6 months. Thinking of taking the annual fee hit and then cancelling once the miles are in the bank.
    I've just taken out a nectar card, which had a bonus of 20,000 nectar points. Didn't realise there was a caveat that bonus isn't available if have held another amex account in 24 months.. No bonus for me then... I'll just stick to using my BA Amex card
    T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.