Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
    Originally Posted by cosmo74
    has anyone actually received the 1,000 avios bonus? The Amex app says I’ve redeemed it but there’s no sign of the bonus in my BA transactions
    Yes got mine. Spent £101.50 on the 4th of August, its appeared on my amex statement on the 5th and the 1000 avios appeared in my Amex account as "Ba offer" 5 days later on the 10th.

I did not get a triggering email.
    alex67500 likes this.
    Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
    Originally Posted by origin
    I am sorry, I havent followed this thread all the way through. One of the uses I use for my amex points is on amazon. I appreciate some might not think its worth the money, but I have continually found it quicker and easier to spend, than transferring to avios and trying to find flights during the right time frame. Previously I have used avios points to buy wine, as well...
    I think you need to spend more time on Flyertalk...
    alex67500 and Row9 like this.
    Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar

has anyone actually received the 1,000 avios bonus? The Amex app says I’ve redeemed it but there’s no sign of the bonus in my BA transactions
    I did too, didn't get a mail but my Avios balance transferred on Friday for this month and there was an extra line in my BAEC statement saying 1,000 Avios for Amex retail bonus avios on top of the two usual lines.
    Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by alex67500
    I did too, didn't get a mail but my Avios balance transferred on Friday for this month and there was an extra line in my BAEC statement saying 1,000 Avios for Amex retail bonus avios on top of the two usual lines.
    Thanks, my payment goes out in a couple of days, so if they don't post then i'll chase up.
    Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
    A couple of questions re earning triple Avios:
    • Does the booking have to be via the Website or will a booking via the GGL line work?
    • Does the currency of the booking matter? e.g. if I book a flight originating in ZRH the website will normally price in CHF - will that credit OK?
    • (more of a general BA question I guess) if the answer to the above is that GGL line bookings works, given the currency charges on the card am I best placed to ring the GGL line and ask them to price the journey in GBP? Or does that risk changing point of sale and thus price?
    Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:54 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by abligh
    A couple of questions re earning triple Avios:
    • Does the booking have to be via the Website or will a booking via the GGL line work?
    • Does the currency of the booking matter? e.g. if I book a flight originating in ZRH the website will normally price in CHF - will that credit OK?
    • (more of a general BA question I guess) if the answer to the above is that GGL line bookings works, given the currency charges on the card am I best placed to ring the GGL line and ask them to price the journey in GBP? Or does that risk changing point of sale and thus price?
    • [*]
    • [*]
    abligh likes this.
    Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Thanks, my payment goes out in a couple of days, so if they don't post then i'll chase up.
    The key date is the monthly transfer of Avios from Amex to BA. This is about 5-6 days before your statement date. Any bonus Avios would be included (or missing) then. You can also look at your Amex card account online or via the app- it shows a running total of Avios earned which goes back to zero once a month when the transfer to BA occurs.
    Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:01 am

An apology at the start as I think I've seen this answered before, but can't locate it. 2-4-1 Voucher issued today with 12 month validity. When seats become available at T-355, I will book the outbound journey for 1 Sep 20 and then phone 10 days later to book the return journey. I know that the return journey is allowed to take place after the voucher expires, but will I encounter any problems as I will be booking this separately to the in-date outbound journey? I'm sure the plan is OK, but there are a lot of moving parts to this trip so just want to make sure! Thanks in advance.
    Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Originally Posted by Row9
    An apology at the start as I think I've seen this answered before, but can't locate it. 2-4-1 Voucher issued today with 12 month validity. When seats become available at T-355, I will book the outbound journey for 1 Sep 20 and then phone 10 days later to book the return journey. I know that the return journey is allowed to take place after the voucher expires, but will I encounter any problems as I will be booking this separately to the in-date outbound journey? I'm sure the plan is OK, but there are a lot of moving parts to this trip so just want to make sure! Thanks in advance.
    You won’t have a problem with the dates. The general form for adding the inbound is in this thread (about the voucher more specifically than the card). BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
    Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:23 am

Smile

Originally Posted by pauldb

You won’t have a problem with the dates. The general form for adding the inbound is in this thread (about the voucher more specifically than the card). BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
    Thanks Paul, and I clearly posted in the wrong thread (sorry MODs!).
    Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    I have looked in the thread, but have failed to find anything useful. I'm pretty sure it was discussed in the past.

My other half has upgraded to the BAPP card after having spent already £10k, but the voucher has been been issued with a validity of 12 months rather than 24.

Is it straightforward to get Amex to rectify?
    Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS, EK
    Does anyone have a current link to do a referral, tried to do it on the website but it doesn’t seem to work?
    Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
    Are you trying to refer, or be referred?
    I can happily refer you!
    I have been able to grab a referral link from the membership home or also from the phone app.
    Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
    To get a referral link from within the app:

select card, press account, membership, refer a friend.
    Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS, EK
    I cracked it, but not from my account....... Sent one from my wife’s account, mine didn’t have the option to refer, maybe because I still have the old BA Premium card....???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.