Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:44 pm
    Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
    Correct. No issues with MAN-LHR-PEK. Good luck!
    Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
    To maximise your Avios accumulation, forget cash and pay for everything that you possibly can on your card no matter how small and of course clearing the balance every month. As many on here will testify if you use the card wisely you will be able to enjoy its benefits on an annual basis... this year we did PEK return in F and in 2019 hope to go to the Caribbean in J or F depending on availability. Get spending and enjoy.
    T8191, RockyRobin and argonath like this.
    Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA, VA
    That was quick - thanks both of you.

I’ve a couple of large payments coming up so should be able to hit the spend for the 25k miles bonus, then will keep paying everything (as far as possible with Amex) on the card to get the companion voucher.

I’ve just realised the 20k bonus on an Amex Gold card, and also referred my wife for the same card where we have already hit the spend required for another 20k bonus!!!!

I have checked the equivalent dates next year on BA, and it looks as if there are still Avios seats available in CW, and also for our return SIN-LHR-MAN flight, so bodes well for the following year............unless of course the system changes!!!

Incidentally, something else I forgot to ask - once you get the voucher, do you have to renew the card until your use the voucher? Just thinking I don’t want to be spending another £195 if it’s not necessary.
    Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by tonymc
    That was quick - thanks both of you.

I’ve a couple of large payments coming up so should be able to hit the spend for the 25k miles bonus, then will keep paying everything (as far as possible with Amex) on the card to get the companion voucher.

I’ve just realised the 20k bonus on an Amex Gold card, and also referred my wife for the same card where we have already hit the spend required for another 20k bonus!!!!

I have checked the equivalent dates next year on BA, and it looks as if there are still Avios seats available in CW, and also for our return SIN-LHR-MAN flight, so bodes well for the following year............unless of course the system changes!!!

Incidentally, something else I forgot to ask - once you get the voucher, do you have to renew the card until your use the voucher? Just thinking I don’t want to be spending another £195 if it’s not necessary.
    No need to have the card one the voucher has posted to you BA executive account... Don't listen to what amex say about the voucher being removed/not valid if you don't have the card, it's rubbish. You will need an Amex to pay the taxes/surcharges though..
    Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA, VA
    Thanks again. I suspect I will have some form of Amex card once it come to booking - at worst case, I could get the free BA card and get some extra Avios into the bargain!!!
    Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by mjghughes
    Great :-) - I will try the US +1 number then. Thank you!
    So I thought I would update you guys on my efforts to get 2 F tickets with my Amex 2-4-1 voucher for flights to and from SEA.
    As I think I previously mentioned, I managed to get the outwards (MAN-SIN) tickets on line, albeit not for the exact date I wanted, but that was fine.
    Following advice on here, I then set my alarm for 1:55am this morning (I am currently in France) and phoned the US number to try to arrange for return flights, KUL-LHR. The guys I spoke to on the US line (David - very English accent - certainly not an Indian call center) unfortunately was less than helpful. Firstly he said you couldn't change a 2-4-1 booking. Then he said there was no way he could access UK accounts, and in any case it could not be done like this and I needed to make an additional booking on line. By this time it was past the midnight GMT slot, and I could see that the flights were available. I tried to explain that there was no way to make the booking on line as it was a 2-4-1 and I didn't have 240k in my account. Whilst he was borderline polite, the answer was "tough - phone the UK line in the morning" and he basically put the phone down on me before i could try to plead my case. I then tried the Japan number, but they don't work on weekends and so that was a no-go. Checked the India number, but they too do not wirk on weekends. I thought I would give the US number another go to see if I got someone else - but by now (about quarter past) the line was shut. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I really think David just wanted to get home and not deal with it.
    By the time I called the UK line at 7:30, the availability had gone.... fortunately there was availability the day before, so whilst I get a day shorter holiday than I wanted, it's not too bad in the long run. Also kudos to Jez the friendly scouser in the UK for sorting it all out very efficiently in the end.
    So moral of the story - the US call at midnight GMT does not work in all cases....
    Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:01 pm

Apologies - multi post

Last edited by mjghughes; Aug 19, 2018 at 1:02 pm Reason: multi post
    Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC, UA Gold, Hiton Honours
    Anyone experiencing delays with Avios transferring to their BAEC account from Amex? I hit my 25k welcome bonus a few days ago and it hasn't appeared yet. Also curious that my spend from last month has also failed to appear. Is there an issue with the system, or am I just terribly impatient?
    Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:16 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by Oil Slave
    Anyone experiencing delays with Avios transferring to their BAEC account from Amex? I hit my 25k welcome bonus a few days ago and it hasn't appeared yet. Also curious that my spend from last month has also failed to appear. Is there an issue with the system, or am I just terribly impatient?
    IME, bonuses transfer from Amex to BAEC at the same time as the normal monthly sweep, about 5 days before your statement date.
    ringingup and Oil Slave like this.
    Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC, UA Gold, Hiton Honours
    Thank you!!
    Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:28 am

Hi all,

last year I got a BAPP and then referred MrsMM for the same before she duly met the spend and cancelled it, getting a duplicate of my card which we now use for almost all our spending.

i have a season ticket purchase coming up of £5k so thought it might be a good time to get a referral and welcome bonus by referring MrsMM for another Amex and using the spend to trigger the welcome bonus. Is the BA gold our best option now as i understand now we couldn’t get MrsMM another BAPP and expect to get the bonuses again?

Or, is there another, better card/bonus we should be looking at?

Our intention would be to purchase the season ticket, pay it off then cancel the card

thanks in advance,
    The Muffin Man
    Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
    ... as i understand now we couldn’t get MrsMM another BAPP and expect to get the bonuses again?
    She will qualify for another BAPP welcome bonus if it has been more than 6 months since she cancelled her last BAPP.
    Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
    Refer her for the Gold, then get her to refer you for the Plat. Make your purchase on the Plat and cancel as soon as you've got the bonus - you'll get almost all of the annual fee back and a much bigger bonus; especially as you can also spend the £2k on the wife's Gold to trigger that bonus too.
    Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
    I recently purchased a few fairly expensive BA tickets on Expedia ( wasn't bookable on BA.com and went with Expedia to keep Quidco rather than call them up !)

I had assumed that the tickets would post to Amex as 'Expedia' or something and the lower rate of Avios accrual would apply

I was surprised to see them post today as

BRITISH AIRWAYS VACATIO LONDON

DOING BUSINESS AS
    BRITISH AIRWAYS BSP
    View Details on Merchant WebsiteLND
    HA4 6QF
    UNITED KINGDOM
    DATE PROCESSED:
    03 SEP 18

REFERENCE NUMBER:
    AT18247004200xxxxxxxx
    CATEGORY: TRAVEL - TRAVEL AGENCIES
    This isn't the same entity as tickets booked on BA.com show up as BA.COM UK WEST DRAYTON

I don't know if anyone knows will they attract the higher 3 Avios per £ compared with 1.5 .... not a huge issue either way but nice little bonus if they attract the higher rate which I wasn't expecting
    Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
    Originally Posted by Oil Slave
    I normally see my monthly spend credit on th3 3rd of the month

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.