Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend Ł3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend Ł1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of Ł1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of Ł3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the Ł10,000 (or Ł20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under Ł1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: Ł2,500
    • Refund protection: Ł300 (Ł200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: Ł200 (Ł0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): Ł750 (Ł0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): Ł1,000 (Ł0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: Ł250,000 (Ł75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): Ł1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): Ł3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
    The US call centre (which will actually be in India) won't be about to leave.
    Great :-) - I will try the US +1 number then. Thank you!
    Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:17 am

When one goes to use the voucher, and pays the taxes and fees, do these earn 3 Avios per pound, and count towards the Ł10,000 spend? This assumes your year has rolled over and you’re working towards your next voucher, of course.

I assume so - it is a transaction on BA.com - but I haven’t seen this specified anywhere. Depending on what one redeems for, it could be >Ł500 per person, so 3000 Avios and 1/10 of your next voucher...
    Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by squawk
    When one goes to use the voucher, and pays the taxes and fees, do these earn 3 Avios per pound, and count towards the Ł10,000 spend? This assumes your year has rolled over and you’re working towards your next voucher, of course.

I assume so - it is a transaction on BA.com - but I haven’t seen this specified anywhere. Depending on what one redeems for, it could be >Ł500 per person, so 3000 Avios and 1/10 of your next voucher...
    Of course, you’ll earn 3 Avios per Ł1.
    Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:39 am

[QUOTE=ringingup;30056205]

Of course, you’ll earn 3 Avios
    I was under the impression that once you have spent 10k and got your 241, you had to wait until the start of year 2 on your account for any new spend to count towards your next 241?
    Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by Tilly71
    Originally Posted by ringingup

Of course, you’ll earn 3 Avios

I was under the impression that once you have spent 10k and got your 241, you had to wait until the start of year 2 on your account for any new spend to count towards your next 241?
    Earning 3 Avios on BA transactions has got nothing to do with the spending target to trigger a companion voucher. Of course you need to wait for the new year to start spending towards the Ł10k.
    squawk likes this.
    Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:50 am

Thanks for the clarification @ringingup. Yes, I realise the year will have to 'tick over', but because I'm likely to trigger the voucher close to the end of my spend year, it will probably be spent (and taxes/fees charged) in the following spending year and therefore count towards the following 10k.
    Tilly71 likes this.
    Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
    Quick Question-

It used to be that referring from BA free Amex to BA premium Amex got a referral bonus of 9.000 amex. Is this now only 4,000 even if the person you refers gets the Premium?

Thanks
    Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
    Originally Posted by Enigma368
    Quick Question-

It used to be that referring from BA free Amex to BA premium Amex got a referral bonus of 9.000 amex. Is this now only 4,000 even if the person you refers gets the Premium?

Thanks

Its 9 for the Prem' 4 for the standard but how much it pays out is tied to YOUR card. If you only have the Prem and they've sent you referral link cards awarding 4 it'll be an accident just call them up and im sure they'll send you out new ones. What card they take won't change that especially as in these days where awarding based on their card would tell you what one they got and that would probably breach GDPR in some stupid way
    Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
    Quick q. on cancelling one half of an Amex 2-4-1. If the 2nd pax (i.e. the non-Amex cardholder) booking is cancelled, there are obviously no Avios to refund and the cancellation fee will be payable, but am I right in assuming that the 2-4-1 voucher will just drop back into the account of the person who used it to make the original booking ?
    Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
    Not as simple as that. If the voucher has been logged then it's deemed as spent. I'd speak to Amex CC first about getting a new one before canx anything. BA would be powerless to help to a degree as they don't generate them and once the code has been used it's basically useless.

​​​​​Sorry to say this may require some tooing and froing between them so probably better to ask amex cc to sort it out for you and let them do the work which I'm sure they'll be happy to do.
    Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
    Not as simple as that. If the voucher has been logged then it's deemed as spent. I'd speak to Amex CC first about getting a new one before canx anything. BA would be powerless to help to a degree as they don't generate them and once the code has been used it's basically useless. ​​​​​Sorry to say this may require some tooing and froing between them so probably better to ask amex cc to sort it out for you and let them do the work which I'm sure they'll be happy to do.
    Thanks for the response, but I don;t believe - IIRC - that what you say is entirely correct. From memory, if the complete booking is cancelled the voucher does simply return to the account without any manual intervention, so I was really wondering if it is the same if only one half of the booking is cancelled. Perhaps my memory is wrong on the first point or things have changed ?
    Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:53 pm

Yes if the booking is killed and a new one generated then the voucher becomes usable again however of BA are lazy and just remove one pax but keep the original booking then you run the risk of the voucher being deemed as used and spent. Tbh my bad for lot making that distinction above
    Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
    Yes if the booking is killed and a new one generated then the voucher becomes usable again however of BA are lazy and just remove one pax but keep the original booking then you run the risk of the voucher being deemed as used and spent. Tbh my bad for lot making that distinction above
    Thks for the clarification. Is reinstating the voucher something the BA agent can do if they go through the correct process ? If so, I will try and make sure I am speaking to somebody competent when I call up.
    Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
    Originally Posted by Prospero
    • Companion vouchers earned each year upon reaching a cumulative spend of Ł10,000 increments. Each voucher is valid for two years and can be used for a guest to accompany the cardholder on a redemption ticket. Redemptions can be one way or round trip (open jaws accepted), must be on BA metal and subject to standard redemption rules
    Is this right?? So each increment of 10k GBP spend on the BAPP gets you another 2-4-1 voucher? First time I'm hearing this!
    Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
    Originally Posted by alex67500
    Is this right?? So each increment of 10k GBP spend on the BAPP gets you another 2-4-1 voucher? First time I'm hearing this!
    no, one voucher per year after spending 10k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.