BA American Express credit card

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 27, 18, 5:41 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Wiki Link
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers


New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.


Promotions

Retention offers

    Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

    A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

    The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.


    Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

    Old Sep 9, 17, 3:51 pm
      #1546  
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: London
    Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Posts: 35,703
    Originally Posted by pauldb View Post
    But be aware if the refund occurs in your next card year, it will effectively be added to your next year's £10k target. For a genuine refund that seems harsh treatment (not in this case but especially if the refunded spend was over and above the prior year's £10k) but I'm not aware of anyone having argued around that.

    i.e. if in October you spend £1500 but refund £1000 from September, your cumulative spend with be only £500 and you'll need to thereafter spend another £9500: £11k in total.
    This can also be useful if you want to try to defer triggering next year's voucher for as long as possible because you've got no immediate use for it and you don't want its validity period rotting away because it got triggered too early.
    Globaliser is offline  
    Old Sep 11, 17, 1:59 pm
      #1547  
     
    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Posts: 288
    In May, I took advantage of a "spend £500 with BA, get a £100 credit" offer on my BA AmEx card. I am unable to use one of the flights I booked. I can get a £56 tax refund if I cancel the flight which would bring my total spend during the promotional period just below £500 but I'm worried doing so would mean the £100 credit would be retracted. Anybody have any experiences with this? Will the tax refund be "linked" to my promotional spend or would it appear as an unrelated credit?
    Jpsartre is offline  
    Old Sep 12, 17, 1:15 am
      #1548  
     
    Join Date: Feb 2013
    Location: Surrey, UK
    Programs: Hilton Diamond, Amex Platinum
    Posts: 85
    Originally Posted by Jpsartre View Post
    In May, I took advantage of a "spend £500 with BA, get a £100 credit" offer on my BA AmEx card. I am unable to use one of the flights I booked. I can get a £56 tax refund if I cancel the flight which would bring my total spend during the promotional period just below £500 but I'm worried doing so would mean the £100 credit would be retracted. Anybody have any experiences with this? Will the tax refund be "linked" to my promotional spend or would it appear as an unrelated credit?
    I had a similar experience, though I had cancelled the card. The refund was processed to the cancelled card which generated a statement with the full tax refund amount. There was no deduction of the statement credit.
    hanrahantom is offline  
    Old Sep 12, 17, 3:32 am
      #1549  
     
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: Near Edinburgh
    Programs: BA Silver
    Posts: 9,034
    I can't be the only person that carefully controls their spend on their Amex so as not to trigger the 2-4-1 voucher too soon in the year. I'm quite proud of myself this year:



    Has anyone ever managed to get within a penny?
    Paralytic is offline  
    Old Oct 6, 17, 2:21 am
      #1550  
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: London
    Programs: BA Silver
    Posts: 2,029
    Has anything changed with the sign-up bonus? I signed up again for the PP card last month (having not had it for a year) and the usual percentage chart of progress to the 25k bonus was there. I just logged in and there's no mention of it, nor the 241. However the 241 is in the card benefits and can be seen on the view earned Avios page.
    gustavmahler is online now  
    Old Oct 6, 17, 2:42 am
      #1551  
     
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: London, UK
    Posts: 174
    The mobile version of the site shows the 25k sign on bonus and companion voucher
    williemaykit is offline  
    Old Oct 6, 17, 2:48 am
      #1552  
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: London
    Programs: BA Silver
    Posts: 2,029
    Originally Posted by williemaykit View Post
    The mobile version of the site shows the 25k sign on bonus and companion voucher
    Just checked it and it's all in order.

    Thanks for the help.
    gustavmahler is online now  
    Old Oct 7, 17, 3:54 am
      #1553  
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: UK (currently)
    Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
    Posts: 6,402
    I would like to know the easiest way to cancel the card. I have not been into playing the downgrade / upgrade / cancel game, but both I and Mrs FF99 have been paying the annual fee for the PP card for a few years now, and I think I need to wise up to the rules of the game.

    If I understand correctly, applying for a free BA card automatically cancels the PP card without having to do anything else, but if I want to be eligible for the sign up bonus, I need to be a bit more streetwise and make sure I have not been holding a card for 6 months. I assume that being a supplementary cardholder does not count as holding a card for bonus purposes, but is that right ?

    Is it also right (as I seem to remember when converting Gold to Green) that even if one just calls up to ask them to downgrade, they simply go through the same process as if one was applying for a new card ?

    Back to my original question, what is the easiest process for simply cancelling the card to start my 6 month 'purdah' period ?

    As a PS: If after cancellation there are any credits to the account, is there any problem getting those refunded to one's bank account ?

    Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Oct 7, 17 at 4:32 am
    Frequentflyer99 is offline  
    Old Oct 7, 17, 4:54 am
      #1554  
     
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: UK
    Programs: BA Gold / Miles and Smiles Elite / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire / SPG Gold
    Posts: 1,593
    Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    I can't be the only person that carefully controls their spend on their Amex so as not to trigger the 2-4-1 voucher too soon in the year. I'm quite proud of myself this year:



    Has anyone ever managed to get within a penny?
    no your not. After several years of going over at inappropriate times and ending up using the voucher on an RFS flight I have been meticulous with using the card and my wife’s! This year got to £4 and triggered on the last day. This year will be the same as once I am within a tank of fuel it goes in the drawer out of site. I am luck my year end in August so holiday spend ensures I have it with me.
    i switch between amex and hotel reward cards and thanks to help from Raffles have had some spectacular holidays on the cheap.....comparatively.

    i do think it has become a lot harder in recent years but the oncoming Brexit inspired crash of the UK economy may swing things back in a year or so. But then I might not be in work😗
    binman is offline  
    Old Oct 7, 17, 6:43 am
      #1555  
     
    Join Date: Dec 2016
    Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
    Posts: 2,582
    Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 View Post
    I would like to know the easiest way to cancel the card. I have not been into playing the downgrade / upgrade / cancel game, but both I and Mrs FF99 have been paying the annual fee for the PP card for a few years now, and I think I need to wise up to the rules of the game.

    If I understand correctly, applying for a free BA card automatically cancels the PP card without having to do anything else, but if I want to be eligible for the sign up bonus, I need to be a bit more streetwise and make sure I have not been holding a card for 6 months. I assume that being a supplementary cardholder does not count as holding a card for bonus purposes, but is that right ?

    Is it also right (as I seem to remember when converting Gold to Green) that even if one just calls up to ask them to downgrade, they simply go through the same process as if one was applying for a new card ?

    Back to my original question, what is the easiest process for simply cancelling the card to start my 6 month 'purdah' period ?

    As a PS: If after cancellation there are any credits to the account, is there any problem getting those refunded to one's bank account ?


    I'd say call them. You get passed through to the redemptions department who have a lot of leeway. You can force through a cancellation but quite often they'll set you up with a deal. I'm not sure exactly what card you have, but if going from charge card to credit card you just tell them you don't think you're getting value for the annual fee and wanted a credit card, chances are you'll be transferred to the one you want with all the benefits.


    Or if going from one charge card to another, you can say straight that the signup benefits on the new one look good, it seems unfair new customers get them rather than loyal ones, so you're taking a six month break before reapplying (i.e. the truth). They'll most likely look at your details, see you're a good fee paying customer and offer you the new card straight off the bat - why lose a good customer for six months? If you'd been changing every year that'd be different. But nothing to lose by trying, and it's a lot easier than trying to cancel online.


    I find AMEX pretty good for CS. I used to do a lot of zero percent balance transfers (so called stoozing), and they had and have the most flexibility on retention in my experience.
    bisonrav is offline  
    Old Oct 11, 17, 4:22 am
      #1556  
     
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Posts: 47
    Originally Posted by gustavmahler View Post
    Just checked it and it's all in order.

    Thanks for the help.
    I've got similar issues - can't see a progress against this anywhere!

    Any idea whether that means I don't have a welcome bonus? It has been over 6 months since I closed the card and re-applied...
    Grant Blackshire is offline  
    Old Oct 11, 17, 4:35 am
      #1557  
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: London
    Programs: BA Silver
    Posts: 2,029
    Originally Posted by Grant Blackshire View Post
    I've got similar issues - can't see a progress against this anywhere!

    Any idea whether that means I don't have a welcome bonus? It has been over 6 months since I closed the card and re-applied...
    Have you checked the app? All seems fine on there for me.
    gustavmahler is online now  
    Old Oct 11, 17, 9:09 am
      #1558  
     
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Posts: 47
    Originally Posted by gustavmahler View Post
    Have you checked the app? All seems fine on there for me.
    Yes it just tells me the current number avios waiting to be transferred - no detail around where I am in relation to spending £3k to earn 25k avios...v odd
    Grant Blackshire is offline  
    Old Oct 11, 17, 9:18 am
      #1559  
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: London
    Programs: BA Silver
    Posts: 2,029
    Originally Posted by Grant Blackshire View Post
    Yes it just tells me the current number avios waiting to be transferred - no detail around where I am in relation to spending £3k to earn 25k avios...v odd
    Even when you look at 'view rewards'? I have the number of Avios earned in the last statement, then underneath bonuses, which shows progress to the welcome bonus and 241.
    gustavmahler is online now  
    Old Oct 11, 17, 9:29 am
      #1560  
     
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Posts: 47
    Originally Posted by gustavmahler View Post
    Even when you look at 'view rewards'? I have the number of Avios earned in the last statement, then underneath bonuses, which shows progress to the welcome bonus and 241.
    It shows "earned so far in this period" 25 but shows no recent activity below that.

    I was used to seeing the progress on the website as soon as the card was opened - maybe i'm just too keen
    Grant Blackshire is offline  

    Thread Tools
    Search this Thread