Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:20 am

Good to see all credit card fees, including Amex, banned in the UK from next January.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40648641
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
    Good to see all credit card fees, including Amex, banned in the UK from next January.

I wonder if that'll apply to HRMC too!
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC

Just means that the businesses will embed these charges in their prices (YQ rise?). HMRC would be one of the few places that cannot add in additional costs. I'd like to see things being more transparent - but I don't think this is the solution.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
    I think BA will see far more payments from UK-based cards and a drop in those from the Ukraine
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:42 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by ringingup
    I wonder if that'll apply to HRMC too!
    It applies to everyone - including HMRC.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:53 am
    rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC

Definitely good... but my car tax is due at the end of July 2017
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:08 am

I'm sure it will mean the end of the free card. That or a massive cut in the Avios earning rate.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Obruni Boy
    I'm sure it will mean the end of the free card. That or a massive cut in the Avios earning rate.
    I don't think this has got anything to do with it? This is about not allowing merchants to impose surcharges for the use of credit cards.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:18 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    I don't think this has got anything to do with it? This is about not allowing merchants to impose surcharges for the use of credit cards.
    Indeed, it will make no difference to Avios or the cost of acquiring a credit card.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    Indeed, it will make no difference to Avios or the cost of acquiring a credit card.
    That has already been impacted by the new limits on interchange fees. And it's probably only going to get worse in the near future.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:41 am
    rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    The article quoted states:

It follows a directive from the European Union, which bans surcharges on Visa and Mastercard payments.

However the government has gone further than the directive, by also banning charges on American Express and Paypal too.

(...)

Banks typically charge large retailers between 10p and 20p for each debit card transaction, or 0.6% for credit cards.
    Basically, by limiting what card payment companies are allowed to charge retailers per transactions, some rewards cards may have their futures cast in to doubt.

Raffles posted an article on this recently:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/07...-for-the-card/
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by rum
    The article quoted states:

Basically, by limiting what card payment companies are allowed to charge retailers per transactions, some rewards cards may have their futures cast in to doubt.

Raffles posted an article on this recently:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/07...-for-the-card/
    We are talking about two different things here:

- merchant charging customers when using credit cards (article posted a few posts above)
    - issuers charging merchants interchange fees (your point)
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by wheatbeer
    I was in a similar situation where I cancelled before they transferred across and also ran into issues as they didn't go across the next month. When you cancel they unlink your BAEC account from your Amex account and so the transfer fails. I think I was also told that they were 'rejected by BA' but that wasn't correct.

To resolve it my case was passed to the back office team to link the accounts again. The following month they did transfer across i.e. 2 months after I cancelled.

Lesson learnt: don't cancel until they are transferred across, it's just not worth the hassle to save a few quid on the annual fee.
    Lesson definitely learnt - although the matter is still not resolved. We've now been told the points have been transferred back from BA (as they were rejected due to no active credit card) to my wifes Amex rewards account - however she cannot access this as she is no longer a cardholder (apart from being a supplementary cardholder on my new card).

Took it up with the live online chat and was told she was given wrong information and the points are forfeited when the card is cancelled!
    Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:35 pm

Can 2x 2-4-1 from different people used together?

Newbie here, signed up to BAPP in Feb 2017 and about to hit £10k spend and unlocking first ever 2-4-1 voucher. Once that happens, my plan is:
    1. Refer wife to get her own BAPP (we both earn bonus avios)
    2. Cancel by BAPP (get partial annual fee refund)
    3. Get added as supplementary cardholder to my wife's BAPP
    4. Spend £10k on her BAPP and unlock another 2-4-1 voucher in 6 months

If the above works, by March 2018 we will have 2x 2-4-1 vouchers. My question is, can we then use both vouchers for a reward travel for 4 people? My hesitation is although we have a household account, one voucher "belongs" to my BAEC account and the other "belongs" to my wife's.

Many thanks for any advise.
    Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by kamb1ng
    Newbie here, signed up to BAPP in Feb 2017 and about to hit £10k spend and unlocking first ever 2-4-1 voucher. Once that happens, my plan is:
    1. Refer wife to get her own BAPP (we both earn bonus avios)
    2. Cancel by BAPP (get partial annual fee refund)
    3. Get added as supplementary cardholder to my wife's BAPP
    4. Spend £10k on her BAPP and unlock another 2-4-1 voucher in 6 months

If the above works, by March 2018 we will have 2x 2-4-1 vouchers. My question is, can we then use both vouchers for a reward travel for 4 people? My hesitation is although we have a household account, one voucher "belongs" to my BAEC account and the other "belongs" to my wife's.

Many thanks for any advise.
    Welcome to the forum, kamb1ng.

This should be ok. The voucher holder needs to travel on the 241 booking, so you need to travel on your voucher and your wife needs to travel on hers. You could make a booking for yourself + 1 guest (using your voucher) and your wife could make a booking for herself + 1 guest (using her voucher). This would result in all 4 passengers travelling, albeit on two separate bookings. I don't believe that you can use two 241 vouchers on the same booking.

A couple of things to note:

- Even booking 355 days out, you won't be guaranteed 4 reward seats unless you're planning to redeem in Y (or are you GGL?).

- Technically, if you cancel your BA card before using your voucher the T&Cs say that you will lose your voucher. I've never known it to actually happen, but if BA/Amex were ever to enforce this then you might lose your first voucher at some point between Step 2 and making the booking. One way to protect yourself would be to convert your BAPP to a free card at Step 2 (rather than cancelling it altogether) until the voucher is used. This also gets you your pro rata fee refund. (Some would see this as over-cautious, but just making you aware of the risks.)
    kamb1ng likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.