Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    Was the correct BAEC number in the card? Can you get Amex to confirm the number?

Btw, the bolded section by me is because I am very surprised anyone would do that since there is a much larger potential to mess everything up. Surely it would have been better to get the points across first (it doesn't take more than a few days) and cancel after.
    Yes we confirmed the correct BAEC number with them.

We decided to cancel as the balance was zero, I had received my new card and we wanted to start the 6 month waiting period before her next card ASAP - I did have concerns but Amex assured us it wouldn't be an issue and it can be cancelled (we have this in writing via their message centre).

Plus this was at the start of the month and I always thought the points were transferred at the end of the month - so the annual fee credit owed would be less (not a huge amount, granted) and we'd lose almost a month by keeping open a card we weren't using...
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
    Thanks KARFA!!
    Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by UTFB
    Yes we confirmed the correct BAEC number with them.

We decided to cancel as the balance was zero, I had received my new card and we wanted to start the 6 month waiting period before her next card ASAP - I did have concerns but Amex assured us it wouldn't be an issue and it can be cancelled (we have this in writing via their message centre).

Plus this was at the start of the month and I always thought the points were transferred at the end of the month - so the annual fee credit owed would be less (not a huge amount, granted) and we'd lose almost a month by keeping open a card we weren't using...
    Latest update from American Express message centre is that they sent the 9,000 bonus Avios but it was "rejected by British Airways". They are attempting to find out why and resolve but in the meaning suggest we contact BAEC ourselves - easier said than done though as its a non-airline partner so from what I can see will involve filling in and printing out a form and sending by post. Surely there must be an easier way?
    Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
    Originally Posted by UTFB
    Latest update from American Express message centre is that they sent the 9,000 bonus Avios but it was "rejected by British Airways". They are attempting to find out why and resolve but in the meaning suggest we contact BAEC ourselves - easier said than done though as its a non-airline partner so from what I can see will involve filling in and printing out a form and sending by post. Surely there must be an easier way?
    I was in a similar situation where I cancelled before they transferred across and also ran into issues as they didn't go across the next month. When you cancel they unlink your BAEC account from your Amex account and so the transfer fails. I think I was also told that they were 'rejected by BA' but that wasn't correct.

To resolve it my case was passed to the back office team to link the accounts again. The following month they did transfer across i.e. 2 months after I cancelled.

Lesson learnt: don't cancel until they are transferred across, it's just not worth the hassle to save a few quid on the annual fee.
    Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    3000 avios summer bonus

Apologies if this is already covered up thread - just noticed that in my app it advised me that I have earned 3000 bonus avios for spending £3k between the start of June and end of July. Worth knowing about if you have multiple cards and would consider redirecting spend to BA Amex to trigger ^

EDIT - just seen that this is mentioned as 7k avios for £7k spend for BA PP. I have the basic BA card as I'm tight and don't want to pay the fee

Last edited by DocS; Jul 8, 2017 at 11:41 pm Reason: Error
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC, Amex, SPG Gold, VA Red, HHonours Gold
    Upgrading from free to PP card, but I have some Amex Offers on the free card I want to still use, does anyone know ifl these carry over to the PP card? (Namely the 2.9% interest offer that runs till next year)
    Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:24 am

Has anyone else not had their Avios from the BA card turn up in their BAEC account this month?
    Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
    Originally Posted by wheatbeer
    Has anyone else not had their Avios from the BA card turn up in their BAEC account this month?
    Not sure which month you are referring to by my June points transferred on 23 June as normal. Too early for July.
    Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by HarryKUK
    Not sure which month you are referring to by my June points transferred on 23 June as normal. Too early for July.
    Was referring to July. My points usually go across at the beginning of the month (around 7th). I thought it was the same for everyone with the BA cards.
    Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Was referring to July. My points usually go across at the beginning of the month (around 7th). I thought it was the same for everyone with the BA cards.
    Don't think it's a fixed day of the month for everyone. Transfers occur a few days before your statement date, which is linked to when you opened the account.

But if yours are late compared to normal, it's definitely worth a call or secure message - I had a similar problem last year and they gave me a few extra Avios for the inconvenience.
    Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
    Amex UK now works with Android Pay!
    Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
    Mine arrived on time as normal.
    Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
    My Android and iOS App are showing a summer bonus. Spend £7000 between 1st June and 31st July and earn 7000 bonus Avios. I'll pass.
    Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
    Originally Posted by chistery
    My Android and iOS App are showing a summer bonus. Spend £7000 between 1st June and 31st July and earn 7000 bonus Avios. I'll pass.
    I was thinking that maybe a refundable CW ticket would do the trick ....
    Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:25 am

Just got my partner a BA Amex Premier Plus card in anticipation of paying nearly £5000 towards a future private medical bill (then clearing with cash) to grab some Avios.
    However not possible now and as I referred (getting 9000 Avios) would I lose these if this card was cancelled / or downgraded to the basic BA Amex Card ?

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.