FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Tier Point runs | 2014 master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1536537-ba-tier-point-runs-2014-master-thread.html)

rattlinrob Apr 9, 2014 9:10 am

Hello - Help needed from a complete newbie.

Every quarter I fly to Australia but didn't realise that BA no longer flew BKK - LHR legs for flights booked on QF. This means as the flights are on Emirates it is going to leave me 40 points short of Silver.

A couple of questions if someone can help.

Do I get tier points if I book a flight using Avios? Is it worth waiting to get through on the phone to the BAEC - are the helpful in these matters? Also any recommendations for cheap ways to get 40 tier points.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Rattlin

nux Apr 9, 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by rattlinrob (Post 22676071)
Do I get tier points if I book a flight using Avios? Is it worth waiting to get through on the phone to the BAEC - are the helpful in these matters? Also any recommendations for cheap ways to get 40 tier points.

No you do not earn avios/TP's for an award flight.

BA will allow a 2 week extension to your membership year, but will almost certainly not lower your TP requirement.

Book a cheap BA return flight to AMS/JER or similar and hope for a POUG to business, which will earn 40 TP's for the business sector and 10 TP's for an economy sector.

MadProfessor Apr 9, 2014 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 22676014)
I hope you have lots of money to use up as well. ;) Usually the way to go is BRU-LCY-JFK-LAS-LAX-HNL and back on aa.com; in a good sale it can be had for about £1500 but at the moment you're likely be paying £2150 and up. Plus overnight stops and your return to BRU.

Well that doesn't seem too bad a price...but how do I price up and book such a routing? On aa.com it only allows you to specify 6 flights/segments at one time?

Calchas Apr 9, 2014 9:39 am

Originally Posted by MadProfessor (Post 22676156)
Well that doesn't seem too bad a price...but how do I price up and book such a routing? On aa.com it only allows you to specify 6 flights/segments at one time?

The price may go down in future sales, so unless you are in a hurry I wouldn't book anything yet.

To book on aa.com, specify the important stops (I guess BRU, LCY, LAS, HNL) and let aa.com figure out the intermediate flights and stops.

Alternatively you can ask dutch_122 (his/her job is a travel agent) by private message to create a reservation for you on BA's systems; you can then pay for the reservation by telephoning BA.

I suggest you post your schedule you have here before paying for it in case anyone has any suggestions or spots any flaws.

MadProfessor Apr 9, 2014 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 22676243)
The price may go down in future sales, so unless you are in a hurry I wouldn't book anything yet.

To book on aa.com, specify the important stops (I guess BRU, LCY, LAS, HNL) and let aa.com figure out the intermediate flights and stops.

Alternatively you can ask dutch_122 (his/her job is a travel agent) by private message to create a reservation for you on BA's systems; you can then pay for the reservation by telephoning BA.

I suggest you post your schedule you have here before paying for it in case anyone has any suggestions or spots any flaws.

Thanks for that....specifying the major stops works in that it produces the right route but the pricing seems crazy at c. £6,000. for:

AMS-LHR-LCY-JFK-LAS-LAX-HNL-LAX-LAS-JFK-LCY-LHR-AMS. For some reason it won't find any flights starting in BRU. I will have a play with dates and starting destinations.

Globaliser Apr 9, 2014 9:55 am

Welcome to FT, rattlinrob!

Originally Posted by rattlinrob (Post 22676071)
Every quarter I fly to Australia but didn't realise that BA no longer flew BKK - LHR legs for flights booked on QF. This means as the flights are on Emirates it is going to leave me 40 points short of Silver.

Do you have an immediate problem with a membership year soon to expire?

Otherwise, if you don't have to fly via BKK and you can re-route some future trips, you can still earn TPs for the whole trip if you fly via HKG, KUL or SIN - although the exact number will depend on how you do it, and the number of Avios earned may be very different because of the different airlines involved. But you probably already know this.

rattlinrob Apr 9, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks Nux for clearing up the Avios. I didn't expect BA to move the TP threshold just wondered if they can be helpful in finding flights to make up the difference.

Globaliser I fly June/July and my year ends just after in July. The flights are booked by my office in Sydney after I tell them if I want to stop off. In this case told them Bangkok as previously got TP for all legs. As I said didn't realise QF and BA had fallen out. The problem I have is that the flights the Aussies book are chargeable on any change so they won't do it - or so they say.

pmcg Apr 9, 2014 10:08 am

Originally Posted by MadProfessor (Post 22676327)
For some reason it won't find any flights starting in BRU. I will have a play with dates and starting destinations.

The BRU-HEL-LHR/LCY-JFK-LAX-HNL return run is pricing up at £2,601 at the moment.

Use ITA to find the seats/fare as detailed in the Wiki at the top of the thread.

Once you know the dates that are available you can punch these into AA to price it up and buy it.

nux Apr 9, 2014 10:37 am

Originally Posted by rattlinrob (Post 22676405)
Globaliser I fly June/July and my year ends just after in July. The flights are booked by my office in Sydney after I tell them if I want to stop off. In this case told them Bangkok as previously got TP for all legs. As I said didn't realise QF and BA had fallen out. The problem I have is that the flights the Aussies book are chargeable on any change so they won't do it - or so they say.

So are you flying SYD-BKK-DXB-LHR with BKK-DXB-LHR on EK?
If you are booked under a QF code you should earn avios but not TP's for the EK metal flights.

If you have another TP earning flight within 2 weeks of your year end date, you can call to be given a 2 week grace period.
Otherwise, any eligible business class flight will earn 40+ TP's.

flashware Apr 9, 2014 10:41 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 22676611)
So are you flying SYD-BKK-DXB-LHR with BKK-DXB-LHR on EK?
If you are booked under a QF code you should earn avios but not TP's for the EK metal flights.

If you have another TP earning flight within 2 weeks of your year end date, you can call to be given a 2 week grace period.
Otherwise, any eligible business class flight will earn 40+ TP's.

Also if flying in discount economy then you're likely to only earn 0.25 points for each mile as well, so it's a double slap in the face! :td:

rattlinrob Apr 9, 2014 10:59 am

Nux actually LHR-SYD via SIN but classed as one flight. Then SYD-BKK-DXB-LHR. As you say no TP on the EK which has caused my problem. I won't have any more company travel so am looking for a cheap break where I can get the balance of points.

Flash - tell me about it - they even put me on a jetstar flight once SYD - BKK and I only got 10 TP I think

flashware Apr 9, 2014 11:01 am

Originally Posted by rattlinrob (Post 22676731)
Nux actually LHR-SYD via SIN but classed as one flight. Then SYD-BKK-DXB-LHR. As you say no TP on the EK which has caused my problem. I won't have any more company travel so am looking for a cheap break where I can get the balance of points.

Flash - tell me about it - they even put me on a jetstar flight once SYD - BKK and I only got 10 TP I think

Don't worry, I feel your pain! I have a QF metal flight LHR-DXB which I'll credit to BA then after that I'll switch it to my QF number for DXB-PER, PER-DXB, DXB-LHR which are on QF code EK flights.

pinkcat Apr 9, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks for that....specifying the major stops works in that it produces the right route but the pricing seems crazy at c. £6,000. for:

AMS-LHR-LCY-JFK-LAS-LAX-HNL-LAX-LAS-JFK-LCY-LHR-AMS. For some reason it won't find any flights starting in BRU. I will have a play with dates and starting destinations.

you can also start in LUX and end in KOA/OGG sometimes that puts prices down

Calchas Apr 9, 2014 11:38 am

Did you allow AA to find flights marketed by oneworld as well as by AA?

Originally Posted by pmcg (Post 22676447)
The BRU-HEL-LHR/LCY-JFK-LAX-HNL return run is pricing up at £2,601 at the moment.

Use ITA to find the seats/fare as detailed in the Wiki at the top of the thread.

Once you know the dates that are available you can punch these into AA to price it up and buy it.

I spotted a few days in late May at £2150.

pinkcat Apr 9, 2014 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by JonV (Post 22236580)
I thought AA frowned pretty heavily upon hidden city ticketing?

if you do it repeatedly they will probably get sour at some point