FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Gate A14 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1536532-gate-a14.html)

T8191 Aug 20, 2014 1:30 am

Much enjoyed the programme, and since it is [a] on a British TV channel, and [b] many of the pilots are British, I guess here is as good a place as any on FT :)

Calchas Aug 20, 2014 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ABZGirl (Post 23390594)
with some breathtaking landing strips (that's a generous description in some cases)

Is this show suitable for those with families?

CraigWatson Aug 20, 2014 2:19 am

Something I've always wondered about frequent flyers is how the habit (also substitude "addiction", "curse" and "hobby" in for that!) sits with FT'ers other halves - I would love to get a job where I can travel a lot with work and see places (I'm one of these strange people that actually enjoy air travel!), but I'd feel guilty that I wasn't at home enough and we'd miss eachother.

jcm9000 Aug 20, 2014 2:44 am

Certainly enjoyed it, but still gurn at the 'this is so dangerous everyone is going to die' sort of hyperbole on these shows usually just before or after a break. Not as bad as US tv, but getting there! Anyway, ill be watching this series!

Englishlee0710 Aug 20, 2014 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 23393143)

:D

T8191 Aug 20, 2014 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 23393143)

Certainly not for nervous flyers. Some of the shots from the wingtip cameras show how hard the pilot is working, and how close the trees and edges of the strips get!

antichef Aug 20, 2014 6:19 am

I don't think that was the type of "landing strip" the earlier joker had in mind ;)

Sam Bee Aug 27, 2014 3:34 am

Another fab episode last night, I think being a pilot in Papua is my calling in my next life...

There is a bit of me surprised that more pilots do not go down this route for the experience / adrenaline before the day in / day out routine of jet piloting in Europe, but the increased chances of Malaria / Crashing etc perhaps do not appeal to all :)

I have checked Susi Air's route network for my next Indo trip, see what I can incorporate (a mundane Jakarta - Pangandaran most likely, at £49 each way).

Calchas Aug 27, 2014 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee (Post 23430748)
Another fab episode last night, I think being a pilot in Papua is my calling in my next life...

There is a bit of me surprised that more pilots do not go down this route for the experience / adrenaline before the day in / day out routine of jet piloting in Europe, but the increased chances of Malaria / Crashing etc perhaps do not appeal to all :)

I have checked Susi Air's route network for my next Indo trip, see what I can incorporate (a mundane Jakarta - Pangandaran most likely, at £49 each way).

So I have now watched this show and in general it is pretty good.

However, I really dislike the handholding that documentaries now suffer. The same information ("this is dangerous", "far from home", "looking for a job flying big jets") is really repeated about thirty or forty times an episode and it does become very distracting quite quickly.

ABZGirl Aug 27, 2014 2:49 pm

...and wasn't it good to know that Tommy 'Come Fly With Me' Reid's dream finally came true?! ;)
He's now known as 'former burger flipper' Dave, but unfortunately he's gone from endearingly dense to obnoxious, desperate and misogynistic. I'm sure he'll make an impression when he moves to the 'aircrafts' (sic) on 'the big airlines' :rolleyes:

Jimmie76 Aug 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Champagne please (Post 22064048)
So, maybe I'll get moved on but perhaps this fits in this thread. Apologies in advance if not.

Have travelled BA many, many times LHR to GVA checking in my hardshell TUMI suitcase since it was purchased. No issues, no marks, no nothing.

Clearly lulled into false sense of security, I checked it in once with Flybe SOU to DUB , on a flight with only about 20 people when the plane was a mere 50ft from the check in desk, , and darn it, if the thing didn't emerge cracked and with stress marks all over it.
The arirline asked me to send it to a luggage handling centre for *makes speech marks with fingers* "Inspection". Next thing the suitcase is returned to me *makes more speech marks* "Repaired" ..... but very badly, in fact worse than when I sent it off, because the main stress mark has been surplanted by a large round heat mark and the plastic coating torn. When I queried who authorised repair rather than inspection ( because I certainly didn't) I was told the airline did and I would have to pick up any issue with them.

Incidentally, my flight was best part of £450 return....coffee, tea and bag handling extra, natch.

Moral of the story? Only that in my experience and by comparison BA do pretty well given the sheer volume they deal with. Secondly Mr CP was right when he said don't check it in. ( maybe that's what hurts the most... :rolleyes:)
YMMV

One of the reasons I went off Tumi was their dropping the lifetime warranty and I then went with Briggs and Riley who still do.

Calchas Aug 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by ABZGirl (Post 23434040)
...and wasn't it good to know that Tommy 'Come Fly With Me' Reid's dream finally came true?! ;)
He's now known as 'former burger flipper' Dave, but unfortunately he's gone from endearingly dense to obnoxious, desperate and misogynistic. I'm sure he'll make an impression when he moves to the 'aircrafts' (sic) on 'the big airlines' :rolleyes:

Well we all know this is in the editing ... it only takes one or two out of character remarks perhaps even prompted by the off camera interviewer and the editors can construct a whole new personality for the guy. :p

paulwuk Sep 13, 2014 8:46 am

What a terrible airport Amsterdam is. After a 2 hour delay on 443 which didn't put me in the best of moods, it still takes 19 minutes to get from stepping off the plane to the station. This is due to a ridiculously long walk from the plane, coupled with limited number of desks on passport control, and an apparent view that any fake-tan brood of 20 with a single pushchair is entitled to cut in the line (as are airline staff of course)

Poor number of ticket machines with 43,291 backpackers trying to use them and failing miserably. Not surprising when the only choices are "I want to go to Amsterdam" and "I want to go abroad".

No facility to buy on the train either means no choice but to wait, which means missing the first train, and missing my meeting Grarrr.

paulwuk Sep 15, 2014 8:01 am

And the departure is just as bad. Lounges are hidden by code words (rather than "ba lounge" or "one world" lounge it's "lounge 54" or something)

15 mile walk from lounge to plane, and obviously having a lounge post security so you can relax is beyond the skills of Amsterdam.

As a European destination the sardine planes are put on. Fortunately I noticed this so got an exit row.

On the plus side there is priority boarding, so while not the worst airport on Ba's route, it's one of the bottom 5.

Calchas Sep 15, 2014 9:59 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 23528353)
15 mile walk from lounge to plane, and obviously having a lounge post security so you can relax is beyond the skills of Amsterdam.

The security situation is being amended as we speak.

AMS is one of my favourite airports through which to connect. The distance of the non-Schengen lounges from the gates is a bit of a downside I admit.