Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Had a lovely CSM out of and into LGW yesterday and we got chatting in the galley while waiting for an ATC slot clearance on the return leg and she provided some interesting Galley FM snippets, just wondering if others had heard these:

1) Revenue Mgt looked long and hard at the LGW-OAK service continuing onto HNL but in the end the numbers didn’t stack up.
Very interesting. Not sure this could ever have worked, given the lack of local traffic rights on OAK-HNL-OAK.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:59 am

Do BA track what is actually watched on the IFE?

Just pondering the randomness of some of the movie collections onboard and wondering who thought Alien 3 or Daredevil deserved a place on the onboard library. Equally - why the older movies (anything pre-2000 from what I can see) on the planes are still formatted 4:3 or letterbox (and not expanded to the whole screen).

On the latter point I'm assuming they are just working off older copies of the movie, ones originally grabbed for the older IFE.

On the former - I'm wondering if the IFE will report back to BA what is watched and whether that can influence further contributions.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Is it true all flight staff have to pay to dry clean/wash their own uniforms?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes it’s true.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Yes it’s true.
You may already be aware, but in case not ensure you're claiming appropriate tax refund for doing this! - https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-em...hing-and-tools (looks like £720/year for cabin crew)
TrainDriverSparky likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Thank you, I’m sure the majority of us have been claiming this for a long time.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Thank you, I’m sure the majority of us have been claiming this for a long time.
Ah, good! It's just I've found a lot of folks in my work weren't claiming tax relief they were entitled to
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:23 am

On my LHR-GLA flight today on the A321 they announced that the toilets couldn't be used on the ground or low altitude. Was this due to an issue with waste escaping before the pressure would be able to keep it in?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Cw novice
On my LHR-GLA flight today on the A321 they announced that the toilets couldn't be used on the ground or low altitude. Was this due to an issue with waste escaping before the pressure would be able to keep it in?
The waste cant escape. More likely the system needed a larger pressure differential to operate correctly.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:19 pm

The water system requires some air pressure to work. On the ground this is normally supplied by the APU air bleed. if the APU is not working then this air bleed is not available until engine start, when all the passengers are strapped in and the toilets cannot be used anyway. the issue arises for those passengers that need the toilet on boarding and before pushback. There is also another problem that can also manifest itself in such a way that the aircraft needs some differential pressure to allow the toilets system to work properly. Waste will not leak irrespective of air pressure.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Aug 27, 2018 at 12:31 am
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:14 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
On the 320 family a vacuum generator forces the waste into the waste tank on the ground and at low altitude, that being inop will almost certainly have been the cause. Not a common defect but quite an annoying one when it pops up. Above 16,000ft ΔP is such that the vacuum generator is no longer needed.

Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
A quick question to crew. Why is the service onboard short-haul so inconsistent with BA? I never know how it’s going to be in club Europe. As a GGL who travels a lot in CE and occasionally F on LH, I’m amazed at how inconsistent the service is and how little recognition we get onboard.

Will the curtain be closed for this flight or left open? Sometimes it is closed and sometimes it is left open.

Will the senior crew member address me by name today, or will it be Sir or just no greeting whatsoever?

Will hot towels be handed out? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t.

Will the senior crew member actively stop people from Euro Traveller using the club Europe toilet, respecting the fact that those in CE have paid a lot of money to sit there and want a separate cabin? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t.

Why, when crew have 5-10 mins before the aircraft gets underway after doors have closed, do they choose to just stand/sit in the galley and not instead come into the cabin and say hi to the Club Europe customers and perhaps the Gold card holders in ET?

Will the crew have stowed their bags above row 1 today or will they respect the fact the customers don’t have a choice?

Will the crew offer a hand delivered service today in CE or will it be from the trolley?

Will the crew offer a second drink or will they disappear after the service?

Will the Crew serve the drink before the meal or will it be meal before drink?

It is small touches that cost nothing, but it amazes me how inconsistent the service is.
T8191 and subject2load like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by highexpectations
.... how little recognition we get onboard.

Will the senior crew member address me by name today, or will it be Sir or just no greeting whatsoever?
I've really never understood this recognition thing. Does someone blowing smoke up your rear end make you feel better about yourself?

Personally, the fewer times I'm interrupted from listening to music, watching a film, reading a book, relaxing etc, the better. I don't want to be reminded how often I am on an aircraft, nor do I want false platitudes (said as a GGL/CCR also) - I certainly do not want other people in the cabin to overhear anything about my travel schedule.
hsmall, Steve_ZA, rapidex and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:59 am

I feel a lot of the inconsistencies in CE services are ultimately down to factors outwith the crew's control. Flight length and the number of people in CE immediately spring to mind. One cannot expect the same level of service on a LHR - MAN with 9/10 rows in CE as there would be in a LHR - DME with only 4/5 rows in CE. Of course, I'm using extremes here to illustrate my point but, nevertheless, the point remains. BA is ever stretching their crews with their workloads and a full flight with ~40 mins between departure and arrival simply doesn't allow enough time for the crew to provide like for like services on all routes.

As for the things like the greeting, whilst I appreciate those who do like this element, I personally wish it would be permanently eliminated and forgotten about. To me it feels forced and manufactured (indeed I believe these conversations are relatively scripted). It also makes me feel like a self-important DYKWIA person. I really don't want others to know who I am, what I do, or be asked questions about my travels. The last thing I need is potential students (or even worse their parents!) find out that I'm onboard and why I'm travelling. Unfortunately, being blessed with a pretty straightforward, easy to pronounce name and working for a recognisable employer means I'm very often greeted and have to endure the theatrics.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but, I did chuckle when I saw the comment about the curtain. It reminded me of the AbFab episode when Edina got upset on Concorde that there was no curtain as it was all one class, arguing that they would pay extra to let people know they were seated in front of the curtain. Whilst I seriously doubt that was the intention of OP's comment, I do wonder if people really care that much about it? I generally forget its existence and a thin piece of cloth is hardly a sound barrier.

The only utility I can find of it (beyond any conflating of self-worth of Edina Monsoon-esque passengers) is that it does help with the restroom situation in which OP described. I will admit this is a perk I really do like in CE. As for people going "beyond the curtain" to use CE restrooms, there could be reasons why. General ignorance is probably the most likely reason and an observant crew normally do gently remind such passengers of the rules (providing, of course, they have the time to notice). However, there could be medical reasons why someone needs to get to a restroom asap. The crew have to manage the needs of all passengers, so there could be genuine reasons for this. However, as I said before, it's unlikely this is the reason for all such incidents.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
oddly, i am consistently amazed by crew service on the shortest CE flights <1 hr. how they do everything in that time block is unreal when compared with the fact AA FAs can barely manage one drink SF-LA which was my twice weekly commute for years.

on the other hand, service seems to slip if flight time is greater than 1hr which is kinda baffling and yes, inconsistent. in all however, BA crews are still the friendliest and most helpful i've ever experienced on short haul.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.