Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
I did a search for this question and did not find anything so I will ask here. I am flying PHX-LHR in WT+ and had a question about my sport jacket. Will I have a likely chance of being able to hang it up or should I plan to pack it? Not sure how the WT+ cabin experience is in that regard
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, Le Club Accor Hotels Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MFCC
WCC is more significant.
I have found that the uplift I got when I became WCC really does make a significant difference and some months I am taking home as little as few hundred pounds less than a CSM. I operate very few short haul trips (only 4 short haul trips this year and I was the CSM on two of them) and my roster is usually 3/4 long haul trips per month which makes commuting easier. For a new entrant the key would be bidding wisely.

Originally Posted by zafiragirl
Thanks SO much for your comprehensive and encouraging reply, @bhdcommuter - much appreciated!
You're welcome @zafiragirl, do let us know how your daugther gets on
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
I did a search for this question and did not find anything so I will ask here. I am flying PHX-LHR in WT+ and had a question about my sport jacket. Will I have a likely chance of being able to hang it up or should I plan to pack it? Not sure how the WT+ cabin experience is in that regard
I'm not cabin crew, but as I sometimes find it difficult to get anyone to take my jacket in CW, I think you'll have a hard time in WT+. Just my opinion and YMMV.

rb211.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Bear Backers
Current Business Class sale

Currently BA is running a Sale in Business from SFO=LHR for about $2500.00 if you travel on certain days. Good through end of schedule. All the other airlines were matching that but as of yesterday only BA has it. Any idea how long it will be available? I need to travel July 9 or 10 through July 31 2019 which is not yet bookable. Wont be until About Aug 10th. Can I call and get this booked now? Any ideas would be helpful.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Tell me, why do you always tend to turn WT into a fridge?
twasbrillig likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We don’t, most complaints we get are that we keep it too warm.
The fact is that everyone is different but I keep the cabins on the cooler side which the majority seem to prefer.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Can I help you
We don’t, most complaints we get are that we keep it too warm.
The fact is that everyone is different but I keep the cabins on the cooler side which the majority seem to prefer.
Totally agree with that approach - at least you can put on more layers or use blankets to get warmer - can't do anything to cool down and it's horrible trying to sleep when it's really warm (I find SQ are often bad for this).
SK, Bellerophon, mrow and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Marschel
Tell me, why do you always tend to turn WT into a fridge?
WT is the most difficult cabin to balance, too. Chances are if you have 235 pax in the cabin no matter what temperature you have it at some will be hot and some will be cold. If you add this to the fact that some a/c are particularly difficult to control due to their age (looking at you 747) there are lot of times you just can’t win.
adrianlondon and bhdcommuter like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Any idea how long it will be available? I need to travel July 9 or 10 through July 31 2019 which is not yet bookable. Wont be until About Aug 10th. Can I call and get this booked now?
The fare rules (assuming that the base fare is USD 1220) don't seem to specify a "ticket by" date. So personally, I would be expecting this to be withdrawn without notice whenever BA feels like it.

There was a post here about how to book a cash ticket when the return date is out of range: Booking one way fare then adding return leg later
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
This is a bit indulgent, but a question for pilots I guess.

A long long time ago, well, I was 14, I attended a careers fair and BA were there, I was particularly interested in training to be a pilot. But it was identified that I was already close to max possible height (6ft2-ish back then) and would almost definitely grow too tall to be a pilot (curently max 1.90m (6'3") - which turned out to be the case (i'm 6ft5 1/2 - or 199cm. So I moved on.

But chatting to a very experienced private pilot friend who has spent a lot of time in commercial airplane cockpits, he said it's baloney, there is loads of space, and it wouldn't be an issue.

So, is this the case? Would I be fine to to be a pilot? Are there any other practical reasons except for leg room why us wonderful tall people couldn't be a commercial pilot? Is leg room up front really that bad?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:19 am

BA is one of the commercial airlines that imposes a maximum height limitation, 6'3" as per https://careers.ba.com/future-pilots. I'm not really sure why as many airlines don't care anymore, only the military are concerned with it because the ejection seat would take your knees off if you were too tall.

Minimum height is a different story.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: Bear Backers
747 has a very cramped cock pit

i sat in the pilots seat at a museum here where have halfbof a 747 on display. I am 5,10 and had to brnd over to get in there. very claustrefobic.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I’m 6’2” in UK measurements and I don’t find it too hard ( in the BA sim ) - though do the seats move backwards and sideways outwards in the cockpit you tried? That is critical to getting in and out of the 747 pilot seats comfortably, and the real aircraft seats move like that.

Obviously you should fly the A380. Very roomy at the pointy end
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
This is a bit indulgent, but a question for pilots I guess.

A long long time ago, well, I was 14, I attended a careers fair and BA were there, I was particularly interested in training to be a pilot. But it was identified that I was already close to max possible height (6ft2-ish back then) and would almost definitely grow too tall to be a pilot (curently max 1.90m (6'3") - which turned out to be the case (i'm 6ft5 1/2 - or 199cm. So I moved on.

But chatting to a very experienced private pilot friend who has spent a lot of time in commercial airplane cockpits, he said it's baloney, there is loads of space, and it wouldn't be an issue.

So, is this the case? Would I be fine to to be a pilot? Are there any other practical reasons except for leg room why us wonderful tall people couldn't be a commercial pilot? Is leg room up front really that bad?
You'll probably have to undergo an "ergonomic assessment" prior to starting with a training school. Most set the bar at 6'3. At 6'5 I wouldn't anticipate that you'll have any problems but it is likely they'll want to sit you in a sim to check first. I've flown with people that are easily 4-5 inches taller than me, and I'm around 6'0 - 6'1.

I wouldn't go as far as saying there is loads of space in the flight deck, especially as you'd most likely start on a A320 or 737, the A320 is your friend here, very ample room in comparison to the 737 for those with longer legs.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:37 pm

With height, tall or short, are there any issues with adjusting the seat height to get the correct eye reference? Or ergonomically could there be issues with specific types, okay in some but not others? Just curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.