Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by linzbh
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find anything in searching.

I'm wondering what the logic is for running a A380 and 77W from both HKG and SIN so close together? Is there really the load to support both? Particularly HKG which doesn't continue onto Aus like SIN does.
There are actually 6 aircraft leaving HKG each evening for London. The 2 BA aircraft, 2 CX 77Ws, 1 CX A350 and 1 VS 789. Then you also have 3 daytime flights on CX 77Ws. I've never done VS but CX and BA are always close to full. There is also a lot of cargo on this route.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linzbh
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find anything in searching.

I'm wondering what the logic is for running a A380 and 77W from both HKG and SIN so close together? Is there really the load to support both? Particularly HKG which doesn't continue onto Aus like SIN does.
Aside from night time landing restrictions at LHR, It's a matter of demand. Same reason why there are more tube trains at 7 am than 11 am on a Monday.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Travelling LHR-SYD in F. If I take some sandwiches and snacks (cheese, yoghurt etc.) for my kids, are the CC allowed to store it in one of the fridges until needed?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Unfortunately not.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Travelling LHR-SYD in F. If I take some sandwiches and snacks (cheese, yoghurt etc.) for my kids, are the CC allowed to store it in one of the fridges until needed?
The official answer is no, as we take the responsibility on for the safe shilled stowage of the food, and should that process encounter a problem and then the food is consumed and one of your travel party becomes ill, the crew will be liable for it.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG, HiltonHonours
I'm silver and and would like to guest in Mrs LWFC to the lounge at LHR, will it be a problem to bring our 6month old son as well? Mrs LWFC is a bronze.

Last question, what's the protocol for switching seats for CE passengers after check in? I was switched last night from a bulk seat (tactically booked as my knee sometimes plays up so I can stretch out) to last row of the forward cabin (on 767). I was only told whilst walking onto the plane (and was more a conversation between the two CC) and was looking forward to the seat. Apparently I was moved as someone couldn't bend their leg....a brief chat at the gate would have smoothed the situation in my opinion, and made it less of a shock. First world problems I know.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LikeWaterForChocolate
I'm silver and and would like to guest in Mrs LWFC to the lounge at LHR, will it be a problem to bring our 6month old son as well? Mrs LWFC is a bronze.

Last question, what's the protocol for switching seats for CE passengers after check in? I was switched last night from a bulk seat (tactically booked as my knee sometimes plays up so I can stretch out) to last row of the forward cabin (on 767). I was only told whilst walking onto the plane (and was more a conversation between the two CC) and was looking forward to the seat. Apparently I was moved as someone couldn't bend their leg....a brief chat at the gate would have smoothed the situation in my opinion, and made it less of a shock. First world problems I know.
Infants (under 2 years of age) don't count as guests, so you'll be fine to guest your wife into the lounge and bring your son in as well.

Cabin crew can change seat assignments onboard, but usually this is done at the gate and you would get a new boarding pass.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG, HiltonHonours
Thank you for the prompt reply. Good to hear about the lounge!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Is it true that, if flying in F to IAD, BA now provides a separate transport to the terminal, as per LH and AF so you don't get squashed into a mobile lounge and arrive at security last. It's one thing that has kept us off these flights recently. Have been told this by a Travel Agent who added "I think."
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by lloydah
Is it true that, if flying in F to IAD, BA now provides a separate transport to the terminal, as per LH and AF so you don't get squashed into a mobile lounge and arrive at security last. It's one thing that has kept us off these flights recently. Have been told this by a Travel Agent who added "I think."
Not that I am aware of. I flew to IAD a few weeks ago and it was not mentioned by the ground staff when we opened the door...

Maybe someone else will have a better idea.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:10 am

Why do the tray tables on the exit rows on short haul have a plastic thing preventing the clip from turning in particular directions?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Does anyone know why Sri Lanlkan have chosen to do this, when other airlines (such as BA!) don't do a similar pre-landing exits reminder?
As has already been posted, many airlines now include a reminder to check for exit locations in a pre-landing briefing, although there are many different ways of doing it. Different regulators no doubt have different views about what is needed, particularly after a long flight.

The common feature, though, is that this step rectifies an easily-rectifiable omission identified after a particular high-profile accident (off the top of my head, I think it was the AF accident at YYZ in 2005).
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Why do the tray tables on the exit rows on short haul have a plastic thing preventing the clip from turning in particular directions?
It's so that if there were an evacuation, if people slid against the tray table it wouldn't unlatch, fall down, and cause an obstruction. The 'clip' should be on the side of the exit door.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
It's so that if there were an evacuation, if people slid against the tray table it wouldn't unlatch, fall down, and cause an obstruction. The 'clip' should be on the side of the exit door.
Aha! That makes an awful lot of sense.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Bizarrely I also noticed that 'clip' last night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.