Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by NickB
they would receive vastly different compensation amount for essentially the same damage.
Just as different passengers pay vastly different prices for essentially the same service.

My point is simply that there are different ways of apportioning risk and taking into account the ticket price is one way. Airlines can, for example, offer guaranteed compensation for a 1 hour delay, in exchange for a higher ticket price. (Wizzair actually do this but I doubt many take it up.)

As I said, I actually think the regulation is probably the right approach to protect the consumer in this market. I just wonder if the amounts are right. I heard an analyst estimate (can't remember where) that this would add Ł3 to the cost of tickets, which I would say is small but significant. Others may disagree.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Well, they would say that wouldn't they? They are entirely opposed to the legislation and are trying to argue that they are hard done by, so of course they are going to say that it is "punitive". ...
I do not understand your point. The passage you quote merely says that a high level of consumer protection should be strived at and that a level playing field should be ensured among airlines in Europe by having common rules (which is standard justification for internal market legislation). There is nothing in there whatsoever to suggest that levels of compensation are meant to be "punitive".
As posted I posted earlier on post #807:
Originally Posted by serfty
Fair enough - though there must be some adjective to adequately describe, in this context, the intention of "... raise the standards of protection set by that Regulation ... to strengthen the rights of passengers ...".
If 'punitive' is not a word you might use then so be it - but the regulated compensation was increased to a level that can make it very costly for a carrier to not consider "the rights of passengers".
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:07 am

Well, they would say that wouldn't they? They are entirely opposed to the legislation and are trying to argue that they are hard done by, so of course they are going to say that it is "punitive". It is a bit like asking Putin whether he thinks the Russian invasion of Crimea was legitimate or not. You are not going to get a particularly enlightening answer.
From an airline point of view, the legislation has significantly changed in 10 years from punitive compensation payable where an airline took a commercial decision to overbook a flight or cancel a flight due to low loads, to having to pay punitive compensation where a flight is delayed because of a technical problem with the engine (that wasn't planned for).

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
The solution is easy, the airlines should shoulder the compensation for delay/cancellation regardless of the cause.
I totally agree. If I had the task of rewriting the legislation now, I would propose higher levels of punitive compensation for denied boarding, and smaller levels of compensation with higher time thresholds for all delays or cancellations, whatever the reason. Consumers would know exactly where they stand (without needing to resort to court claims) and airlines focused on operational excellence would see improved profitability.

Looking at the 2013 stats, ryanair had 0.48% of flights delayed by more than 3 hours, so assuming a €150 automatic compensation for each passenger would cost approx €0.75 averaged across all passengers (i.e. well below their current surcharge - though I haven't included any duty of care costs).
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:27 am

Nope: assuming no advance notice, Article 7 compensation is payable only if the rerouting departs more than one hour earlier and arrives more than two hours later. See Article 5(c)(iii) of the Reg.
NickB

Fixed your comment for you by removing the 2 x "no"...

Compensation is payable for cancelled flights unless passengers are offered rerouting allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.

Last edited by Centipede100; Jun 12, 2014 at 6:33 am
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by Centipede100
Compensation is payable for cancelled flights unless passengers are offered rerouting allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
So how does that tie in with the full/reduced amounts then? If the threshold for receiving compensation at all is the same as the threshold for receiving full (rather than reduced) compensation, when is the reduced compensation level ever applicable?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by csutter
So how does that tie in with the full/reduced amounts then? If the threshold for receiving compensation at all is the same as the threshold for receiving full (rather than reduced) compensation, when is the reduced compensation level ever applicable?
If you departed up to one hour before your originally scheduled departure time and arrived up to 2 hours later than your scheduled arrival time you would be entitled to 50% of the full €250 i.e. €125.

If you arrived more than 2 hours after your originally scheduled arrival time then you would be entitled to the full compensation amount of €250.

BA as the original carrier is liable in either case.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:18 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all that contribute to this thread. I have found it very useful, and thought I would share my recent experience getting a compensation claim from British Airways. Here is a timeline of what happened:

14 May 2014: My family and I were scheduled to fly on BA2167, from London Gatwick to Tampa, Florida. It was cancelled, because of an unspecified technical problem. The earliest flight they could put us on was the next day. They put us (a family of four) in a small hotel room, gave us lunch vouchers, and a terrible dinner and breakfast. We were on the same flight the next day, so we started our holiday 24 hours late.

2 Jun 2014: I sent an email via the ba.com webform, requesting compensation of 600 EUR per passenger, citing EC 261/2004.

3 Jun 2014: I received an email from BA that an "unexpected technical fault" occurred, so they were not liable.

3 Jun 2014: I replied via webform that BA were indeed liable, as technical faults were not usually extraordinary circumstances, citing Wallentin-Hermann. I said if the technical fault was indeed extraordinary, to provide evidence that, for example, the manufacturer had revealed a defect.

4 Jun 2014: BA replied that the technical fault was a problem with the wheel discovered during final safety checks, and that since the wheel was not due to be replaced, this constitutes extraordinary circumstances.

5 Jun 2014: I replied that this wheel fault was not extraordinary circumstances, as it was not due to, for example, a manufacturing defect revealed as such by the manufacturer, re-citing Wallentin-Hermann.

6 Jun 2014: BA replied that it was indeed extraordinary, citing the NEB guidance.

6 Jun 2014: I replied that the Apr 2013 NEB guidance was draft and non-legally-binding. I noted that the EU parliament vote to amend EC 261/2004 on 5 Feb 2014 ignored the NEB guidance, and added an exhaustive list of extraordinary circumstances, which only included technical problems that were formally-acknowledged manufacturing defects. I also stated that if compensation was not agreed, I would no longer communicate via webform, and the next communication would be a letter in the post discussing a court claim.

11 Jun 2014: With no response from BA (and unaware of the Huzar ruling), I sent a "letter before court action" in the post to the BA EU compensation PO box in Sudbury. I sent it Royal Mail special delivery.

12 Jun 2014: royalmail.com reports the letter was signed for at 8:07am.

12 Jun 2014: At 8:28am, I receive an email that they are going to compensate me 600 EUR per passenger. Success!

I have no idea if it was the letter before action that caused them to agree compensation. I wouldn't have expected a response 21 minutes after they received the letter. Maybe the Huzar ruling prompted them to start paying out? I also doubt BA would have been that quick to respond to Huzar, given it will likely be appealed.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8420PR
From an airline point of view, the legislation has significantly changed in 10 years from punitive compensation payable where an airline took a commercial decision to overbook a flight or cancel a flight due to low loads, to having to pay punitive compensation where a flight is delayed because of a technical problem with the engine (that wasn't planned for).
IMO, you are making a totally unwarranted assumption as to what the legislation was supposed to mean. It seems to me pretty plain, whether one looks at its actual provisions, the discussions on the Reg during the legislative process or its interpretation by the CJEU since then, that the aim was always first and foremost one of compensation of passengers rather than "punishing" airlines. A "punitive" level of compensation is one which would be massively disproportionate with the harm suffered by the passenger. I do not think that a €250 award is manifestly grossly out of proportion with the prejudice suffered by the passenger for a flight delay of over 2 hrs on a short-haul itinerary (and mutatis mutandis for the other levels of compensation in the Reg)
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NickB

Fixed your comment for you by removing the 2 x "no"...

Thanks. You are indeed correct, although the "and" should also be changed to an "or" in the original and should therefore have read:
Nope: assuming no advance notice, Article 7 compensation is payable only if the rerouting departs more than one hour earlier or arrives more than two hours later. See Article 5(c)(iii) of the Reg.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Bear with me as I appear to be incredibly thick - I still don't get it! So we have:

a)
b)
If you departed up to one hour before your originally scheduled departure time and arrived up to 2 hours later than your scheduled arrival time you would be entitled to 50% of the full €250 i.e. €125.
I've read it three times now and as I understand it:

a) If your flight is cancelled and your replacement flight departs less than an hour earlier or arrives less than two hours later than your original flight would have, then you get nothing.
b) If your flight is cancelled and your replacement flight departs less than an hour earlier or arrives less than two hours later than your original flight would have, then you get 50% of the "regular" amount due.

Surely a) and b) contradict each other, in the sense that there is no possible situation where b) applies that isn't covered by a)?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by adam007
I also doubt BA would have been that quick to respond to Huzar, given it will likely be appealed.
Congrats on obtaining what was rightfully yours.

For clarity on what may happen next Bott and Co comment:

The Court of Appeal refused Jet2.com leave (permission) to appeal so Jet.com have said they will ask the Supreme Court for leave to appeal. [They have 28 days in which to do this]. There is no guarantee they will be allowed to appeal and even if they were, the same arguments will be used that have already been unsuccessful in Manchester County Court and the Court of Appeal.

We are now in line with the rest of Europe following yesterday’s judgment and for the Supreme Court to go against that would be highly unusual.
Supreme Court appeals list, case after case refused with this reason:

Permission to appeal be refused because the application does not raise an arguable point of law of general public importance which ought to be considered by the Supreme Court at this time, bearing in mind that the case has already been the subject of judicial decision and reviewed on appeal. The Court of Appeal’s decision was correct for the reasons they gave.

Jet2 have nothing to lose by seeking leave to petition the Supreme Court. Even if their petition is accepted and they subsequently lose in that Court, it will have successfully fended off many more claims through talk of stays etc. Then we shall have 2015 upon us and a revised 261/2004 from which there will be many responses to claims arising before the commencement of the revision stating not valid/time barred/diff set of ECs now apply/further stays due to new case law applications etc

So far from a complete drubbing it is certain that airlines will take some comfort from Jet2 proceeding as far as they can in their efforts to kick claims into the long grass.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by csutter
I've read it three times now and as I understand it:

a) If your flight is cancelled and your replacement flight departs less than an hour earlier or arrives less than two hours later than your original flight would have, then you get nothing.
b) If your flight is cancelled and your replacement flight departs less than an hour earlier or arrives less than two hours later than your original flight would have, then you get 50% of the "regular" amount due.

Surely a) and b) contradict each other, in the sense that there is no possible situation where b) applies that isn't covered by a)?
You are looking at it the wrong way round. You must first determine whether you are entitled to Art 7 compensation or not. In case of canx, you look in principle at Art. 5.
Once it is established that you are entitled to compensation under Art 7, then you need to look at the detail of the article to determine which amount you are entitled to.

Let us not forget that Art 7 covers compensation across all 3 situations (IDB, canx and delay). It could very well be the case that there are situations where you are entitled to €125 compensation for IDB and never for delays or canx.
As it happens, in case of cancellations, there can be situations where you are entitled to €125. This would be when you are rerouted on a short-haul flight that departs more than one hour earlier compared to the original schedule but arrives no more than two hours later at destination.
For instance, you were due to fly ZRH to LHR on LX, leaving ZRH at 8.50pm and arriving LHR at 9.40pm. LX phones you the night before to tell you that they have cancelled that flight and are putting you on the 6.35pm, landing at 7.25pm. In principle, you would be entitled to €125 compensation.

In cases of delays (as opposed to cancellation), however, you will never be entitled to €125, since compensation only kicks in when there are 3 hours or more of delays and therefore you will never be entitled to compensation for a delay < 2 hrs.

The fact that the part of Art 7 on reduced compensation for arrival less than 2 hrs after original scheduled time never applies to delays (as opposed to cancellations) does not mean that there is a contradiction. It is just that this part of the Reg will not in practice apply to short-haul delays (even though there are situations where it will apply to short-haul canx or IDBs).
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome adam007

Originally Posted by adam007
Hi everyone,

[snip]

6 Jun 2014: I replied that the Apr 2013 NEB guidance was draft and non-legally-binding. I noted that the EU parliament vote to amend EC 261/2004 on 5 Feb 2014 ignored the NEB guidance, and added an exhaustive list of extraordinary circumstances, which only included technical problems that were formally-acknowledged manufacturing defects. I also stated that if compensation was not agreed, I would no longer communicate via webform, and the next communication would be a letter in the post discussing a court claim.

11 Jun 2014: With no response from BA (and unaware of the Huzar ruling), I sent a "letter before court action" in the post to the BA EU compensation PO box in Sudbury. I sent it Royal Mail special delivery.

12 Jun 2014: royalmail.com reports the letter was signed for at 8:07am.

12 Jun 2014: At 8:28am, I receive an email that they are going to compensate me 600 EUR per passenger. Success!

I have no idea if it was the letter before action that caused them to agree compensation. I wouldn't have expected a response 21 minutes after they received the letter. Maybe the Huzar ruling prompted them to start paying out? I also doubt BA would have been that quick to respond to Huzar, given it will likely be appealed.
Congratulations adam007, you had a very sub optimal journey to Florida so I think it would be a hard person who would begrudge your compensation. I'd hope BA would be a bit more proactive in finding alternative routes for you too, since given the JBA it has to be more financially sensible than chucking out 2400€ in compensation. My suspicion is that your message on 6 June was taken seriously, since I can't believe the registered letter would have been processed that quickly. But what is interesting was that they paid out before MCOL kicked in, so at least BA saved themselves some court fees. Thank you posting the steps, I think that would be useful to others as to how to handle this, and the appropriate time scales. Your relatively swift resolution may have been due to you clearly demonstrating you knew the drill (e.g. the NEB draft).

Welcome to Flyertalk, I hope that you will have more conventional travel experiences from now on, and that you will continue to participate in this forum.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
I just reopened my claim citing the appeal decision in Huzar v Jet2. We'll see how it goes... Would be interested to hear how quickly others get a response to citing this at them (and whether they just start giving compensation out or carry on fighting)
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Anyway, the ruling only reinforces my view that EU261 is an awful piece of legislation which needs to be completely overhauled. A passenger can now buy a ticket for 30 odd quid and will be entitled to hundreds of pounds in compensation for a few hours' delay, even if the airline is not at fault.
That's some fancy footwork there, but it does not stand up to scrutiny. In any other industry the provider of services would need to compensate the customer for the actual costs of anything they did wrong, for example, my roofer broke my TV aerial so he paid for it to be fixed rather than recommending an engineer to fix it at my cost.

The airlines have to be held to the same standard. If I have to overnight somewhere or get dinner due to IRROPS then compensation for the hotel and the restaurant are the airline's to bear, not mine. That's true whether you pay 30 quid or 3000 quid for your ticket. The LCC's knew that when they started their businesses with that model and went ahead anyway.

The few hundred quid that the passenger gets as part of the legislation is an attempt to simplify the process and actually take some of the costs of liability off the airline. Everyone gets the same, no negotiation, less overhead for the airline.

As for the airline paying even when it's not their fault - I don't get why you object to this. You can't strand passengers somewhere at great cost to them without compensating them. The compensation has to come from somewhere, and sure, it gets passed on in ticket prices eventually but managing risk is a part of doing ANY business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.