FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1536530-ba-compensation-thread-your-guide-regulation-261-2004-a.html)

EDI_Martin Nov 18, 2014 6:19 am

Originally Posted by UKBAflyer13 (Post 23859099)
I can also confirm my (twice rejected) claim was honoured after the Supreme court's decision not to hear the appeal.

Also glad to say all funds were given back to BA the next day by way of a new booking :).

As were mine in way of my first ever F redemption to BOS.

scottish minnie Nov 18, 2014 12:06 pm

I contacted BA today after having no, other than an automated, response to a claim made on October 3rd for a +4 hours TATL delay. To be honest I was tending towards dropping the whole thing however the attitude I got from the adviser prompted me to continue to seek compensation.

When I questioned the lack of response I was informed this was wholly due to the larger number of spurious and quite frankly greed motivated claims being received by BA. I was then told that 99% of claims had absolutely no basis and mine was highly likely to be one of them. Aside from the manner of this individual, which I will be following up separately, this opinion of paying customers by BA left no doubt in my mind as to my next course of action. My Letter Before Action was sent recorded delivery this afternoon allowing them a very generous 21 day period to respond before I initiate small claims action.

Nice to know what BA think of those who contribute to their salaries.

I will of course post any updates as soon as I have them.

HMPS Nov 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by scottish minnie (Post 23860893)
I contacted BA today after having no, other than an automated, response to a claim made on October 3rd for a +4 hours TATL delay. To be honest I was tending towards dropping the whole thing however the attitude I got from the adviser prompted me to continue to seek compensation.

When I questioned the lack of response I was informed this was wholly due to the larger number of spurious and quite frankly greed motivated claims being received by BA. I was then told that 99% of claims had absolutely no basis and mine was highly likely to be one of them. Aside from the manner of this individual, which I will be following up separately, this opinion of paying customers by BA left no doubt in my mind as to my next course of action. My Letter Before Action was sent recorded delivery this afternoon allowing them a very generous 21 day period to respond before I initiate small claims action.

Nice to know what BA think of those who contribute to their salaries.

I will of course post any updates as soon as I have them.

Your synopsis of BA's reply is classic. Any chance of you posting the actual letter sans names ?

flieduk Nov 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23827160)
I thought it didn't scan very well!

Yes, the return is copperbottomed: you left very late, made up a bit of time, and were under 3 hours late in getting you home, so no claim there.

For the outbound, the first part of the reply, then if it was genuinely ATC (normally the captain or first officer would make that clear in the onboard announcements) then that is not under BA's control. ATC delays are often caused by poor weather, which also a valid reason for denying claims.

If the OP is still reading this, I would check the timings though.

a. they may not be accurate.
b. the correct "end point" for time of arrival is - in normal circumstances - when the aircraft doors are open.

flieduk Nov 18, 2014 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by visit14 (Post 23830975)
Probably answered up-thread, but can't find with search, so apologies in advance if duplication.

Question is: when preparing a downgrade compensation claim for an Avios 2-4-1 reward booking on a one-way category 3 flight, would the amount to claim be:

• 75% of the Avios used (and 75% of the 2-4-1 voucher ??)

or

• 75% of the Avios used (and 75% of the 2-4-1 voucher ??) AND 75% of the amount paid in taxes/fees/charges

Many thanks

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23831003)
It would be the latter. So 75% of the redemption plus 75% of the cash. Keep us posted on this one, I know BA seems to struggle a bit on downgrades, they will probably make it pro rata to the distance, but the regulations do say "ticket" and makes no mention of downscaling a return to a single (for example).

Originally Posted by visit14 (Post 23831060)
Thanks, and will do.

Currently BA is adamant that if advance notice is given of an involuntary downgrade (along with the offer of a full refund and no travel or a refund in the fare difference between the two cabins and travel in the lower cabin) then no compensation is due. I will only be able to challenge this questionable interpretation of the legislation after I have flown the particular segment, as a claim cannot be made in advance. But from initial correspondence around the matter, they are denying any liability (unsurprisingly!)

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23831102)
Well to be clear, there have been debates about it here. There is no timescale associated with downgrades, and some argue that you've accepted the deal (especially if the cabin no longer exists), and others arguing that the regulation covers downgrades sine die. If you had rebooked yourself into an equivalent class on an alternative airline (assuming BA refused to do this) then another legal line of approach would apply. So I suspect this may be one that actually ends up in court if the sums are significant.

Thank you to the OP for posting this. As a legal professional I have been dying to see an Article 10 downgrade case where the flights has been paid for in Avios (and even more so where a 2-4-1 voucher has been used) since there is a strong argument that you should receive the cash equivalent back.

Can I ask which flight it was BTW?

It appears though that your claim involves another complication that has been discussed (I think on another thread) before in that BA I am guessing are claiming there is a cancellation 14 days+ followed by a complimentary rebooking and, therefore, on their argument, no compensation is due?

I would be keen to know how you get on.

flieduk Nov 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by mc1973 (Post 23832729)
Hard one to put a value on if you suggest MCOL as they ask for a cash value and what cash value do you put on Avios booking with a 2-4-1?

If the claimant is entitled, under EU law to a cash equivalent of the 241 back (which is unclear) then that will not be an issue.

As far as the relevant, the Civil Procedure Rules are produced below. As can be seent he Claimant does not need to identify a cash value up front.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...es/part16#16.3

CPR 16.3
(1) This rule applies where the claimant is making a claim for money.

(2) The claimant must, in the claim form, state –
(a) the amount of money claimed;
(b) that the claimant expects to recover –
(i) not more than £10,000;
(ii) more than £10,000 but not more than £25,000; or
(iii) more than £25,000; or
(c) that the claimant cannot say how much is likely to be recovered.

(7) The statement of value in the claim form does not limit the power of the court to give judgment for the amount which it finds the claimant is entitled to.

flieduk Nov 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 23834264)
I wouldn't be convinced that the companion ticket from a 2-4-1 would be eligible for anything

For the paid ticket, if BA sells avios , then I would use the purchase price for that number of avios as the basis

Originally Posted by mc1973 (Post 23834885)
Never thought of it like that, interesting. ^

It is seriously arguable that the 2-4-1 voucher has a value and was part of the consideration for the ticket. I would suggest it is an intangible right (or a chose in action I think English lawyers call it). It is clear that the Regulation is to apply to redemption bookings.

As I say, I think this is all unchartered territory as far as reported cases are concerned so I would be very keen to know what happens.

radarskiy Nov 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by mc1973 (Post 23853245)
I had a delayed flight on the 19th Sept and I've been paid out (all be it I submitted an MCOL prior to the court ruling) so I'd suggest pestering now.

Thanks to mc1973 and ComputerCommuter for you responses.

I was preparing to send a message to BA when their response finally came this morning. Unfortunately they refused my claim because the initial delay was a weather induced diversion. I had acknowledged this in my original claim but noted that since operations at BUD restarted in much less than 20 hours it was implausible that the delay could be attributable to the weather. In fact BA itself operated 2 round trips LHR-BUD before my rescheduled flight took off.

They did offer a functionally worthless voucher for 50 pounds.

I know that in American air travel weather disruptions tend to mean the passenger can be denied everything. Now that weather has been mentioned on both sides, is there any hope in replying to them and reminding them that during this "weather delay" they were still operating the route?

serfty Nov 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by flieduk (Post 23862598)

As I say, I think this is all unchartered territory as far as reported cases are concerned so I would be very keen to know what happens.

It may be come a little more chartered (at least for revenue fares) should the regulation changes regarding downgrading compensation that passed in February get enacted:

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 22309420)
... on Feb 5th, the EU passed some amendments which clarifies some things, changes others and introduces more.

Draft changes start from page 11: amending Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 establishing common rules ...

The full lists of amendments to this draft in the passing of this are here in this 2.1 MByte ms-word document.

Starts from page 341: Wednesday, 5 February 2014 - Strasbourg - texts (Part 3)

What I will note here is the compensation for involuntary Downgrades has been changed to be based on "Flight Price", not "Ticket Price". Definitions for both have been added. See below.

The new Article 10 reads as follows:

Article 10

Upgrading and downgrading
  1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request any supplementary payment.
  2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse
    1. 30 % of the flight price for all flights of 1 500 kilometres or less, or
    2. 50 % of the flight pricefor all intra-Community flights of more than 1 500 kilometres, except flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometres, or
    3. 75 % of the flight price for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments.

Here's newly regulated "flight" and "ticket" "price" definitions:

(s) ticket price means the full price paid for a ticket, including the air fare and all applicable taxes, charges, surcharges and fees paid for all optional and non-optional services included in the ticket,such as all costs for the check-in, the provision of the tickets and the issuing of the boarding cards and for the carrying a minimum amount of luggage, including an item of hand luggage, an item of checked‑in luggage and essential items, as well as all costs related to payment, such as charges for paying by credit card; .the ticket price published in advance always reflects the final ticket price to be paid.

(t) flight price means the value obtained by multiplying the ticket price by the ratio between the distance of the flight and the total distance of the journey(s) covered by the ticket; where a ticket price is not known, the value of any refund shall be the supplement paid for a premium seat on the flight
Of course, (I guess) the law of inadvertent consequences comes into play here and by those definitions, if one were upgraded using points/miles/instrument and subsequently downgraded, all one would get would be the points/miles/instrument back.

umichguy Nov 19, 2014 2:15 am

Originally Posted by umichguy (Post 23825660)
Update: Just got an email from BA saying they accept my claim.

However, since my arrival delay is not more than 4 hours (was actually 3hr40mins) of the scheduled arrival time, my amount payable is reduced by 50% to 300Euros now, which seems to be inline with their stated policy for flights coming from outside EU into the UK.

Has anyone else received any similar emails or acceptance messages?

From their website

My GF was also traveling with me, they requested that she send an "authorizing letter" to them so they can process hers too with my claim.

Final update: Got an email saying they have processed the claim and money should be in my account soon. Total of 2 x EUR300 (50% of the max, since the delay was just under 4hrs). ^

flieduk Nov 19, 2014 10:46 am

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 23863398)
It may be come a little more chartered (at least for revenue fares) should the regulation changes regarding downgrading compensation that passed in February get enacted:

I've not read all of the amended reg but had read the parts that provide the flight price is to be the ratio of the ticket price by distance.

However, that relates to events occuring after the amendment. Not before.

scottish minnie Nov 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 23862129)
Your synopsis of BA's reply is classic. Any chance of you posting the actual letter sans names ?

I hate to disappoint however the Letter Before Action was quite simply factual in relation to the delay and the claim. I didn't mention the attitude of the adviser - that's a separate issue I'm now dealing with and given that all calls should be recorded it shouldn't be difficult for BA to confirm the facts. I spoke to a supervisor earlier who assured me they would retrieve the call records and get back to me. Should be interesting.....

On the claim front I don't expect to hear anything for a few weeks however will update as soon as I hear anything.

cynicalmoose Nov 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by flieduk (Post 23862583)
If the claimant is entitled, under EU law to a cash equivalent of the 241 back (which is unclear) then that will not be an issue.

As far as the relevant, the Civil Procedure Rules are produced below. As can be seent he Claimant does not need to identify a cash value up front.

Indeed. But you can't use Money Claim Online to start a claim unless (amongst other things) the only remedy claimed is a specified amount of money, expressed in sterling, less than £100,000. (See PD 7E para. 4)

So if you want to start a claim like this, you need to do it the old-fashioned way: fill in a Claim Form (N1), attach Particulars of Claim*, and post it to your local County Court hearing centre for issue (with a cheque for the issue fee). (All documents (except the cheque!) in triplicate: one to be returned to you; one to be served by the Court on the Defendant; and one for the Court file).

While in theory fill the particulars of claim into the box in the claim form, but once you're claiming something complicated like return of a 241 it would be much better to set out the claim in separate particulars.

mrahul Nov 19, 2014 2:57 pm

If the flight is delayed 126 minutes due to mechanical reasons, would it qualify to any compensation? I had a Delta flight that was delayed 126 minutes in Paris. Consequently, I missed my connection in MSP and was delayed well over 5 hours to my final destination, LAS. I wrote to Delta and they rejected it saying it was within 3 hours and that they judge flights individually and not the delay at my final destination.

Dave Noble Nov 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by mrahul (Post 23867806)
If the flight is delayed 126 minutes due to mechanical reasons, would it qualify to any compensation? I had a Delta flight that was delayed 126 minutes in Paris. Consequently, I missed my connection in MSP and was delayed well over 5 hours to my final destination, LAS. I wrote to Delta and they rejected it saying it was within 3 hours and that they judge flights individually and not the delay at my final destination.

It is the delay in arriving at the final destination that matters