Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Just Booked 4 nights to CPT for next Sat. 28th December - Tell me I'm not mad please?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Booked 4 nights to CPT for next Sat. 28th December - Tell me I'm not mad please?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M

I've just booked me and the better half:

Saturday 28/12/13 (next Sat.)
EDI-LHR-JNB in F using a July '14 expiring 2for1 & 75k miles.

Then a JNB-CPT using some OnBusiness points and £111.

Getting into CPT at 12:50 on Sunday 29th.

Of course flights back this side of the usual back to work dates over the following weekend are almost completely full so there was nothing coming back for us in F or J.

Had a bunch of OnBusiness points that were going to expire on 31st so I used these to book:

Thursday 02/01/14
CPT-LHR-EDI in Y+

Had been swaying with going to see a mate down in Cape Town for a while but really wanted to get F or J back, never done BA long haul in anything but F or J for a long while so Y+ will be a new experience for me.

Am I mad to do CPT for 4 nights?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
who cares what we think ?

cs
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Whole lotta flying for just a short stay.

Stretch your legs well in SA.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I did 4 nights in LA when I managed to get 3 CW redemptions on the A380.

Had a great time.

If you want to do it why not?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
No, CPT four days is short but well used, you can have a wonderful mini vacation. I wouldn't fly Y, have four nights and fly back in Y. F/J is no problem, you sleep your way there.

I will be at Ferrymans Jan 1 in the afternoon, if you see me I will bring the drinks
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
A bit mad, but Capetown is a nice city to visit. I'd never go for less than a week. I'd love to go for some seafood!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I went to LA recently for 4 night/5 day break and it was great.

It doesn't bother me sitting in Y or Y+ even for a long haul as getting to the destination is the most important part.

A blast of the SA sunshine will be great and keep an eye on availability before Sat as you MAY be able to go direct and save some time.

Go for it and enjoy!

Pete
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Thanks folks, not as bad as 1 night I did to LAX many years ago.

Good to be flying down in F as I always prefer that, makes for a nice start.

Will be keeping an eye on the availability in case anything better opens up.

Hotels seemed a bit of a problem so just dumped some HHonors points for the Doubletree so now ready to go, oh better tell the other half......gone to bed now, will have to tell her in the morning....
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

All set to go then ^

Might it be worth considering NOT telling her where you are both going as a surprise? @:-)
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:29 pm

What a fantastic mini trip!
No not too far to go for 4 nights - you'll just come home wishing you were there for longer. Also no jetlag and with overnight flights in both directions.
Enjoy the Comair/BA product for the domestic hop JNB-CPT... the soft product puts Club Europe and Euro Traveller to shame.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
pmcg - sounds like a fun, spontaneous and only slightly crazy thing to do - but definitely not mad - this is FT after all!!

Enjoy the good weather, F on the way there and try to sleep in WTP on the way back. At least you have the weekend to sleep when you get back.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:29 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

I did four nights in CPT a couple of months back for business - despite the small time difference it certainly takes it out of you when you return! But was perfectly fine and settled on arrival and jumped straight into action (Wt+ there and F back).

I also had an apartment on the Waterfront, which was half the price and twice the space of a hotel. But using points is much cheaper!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
Definitely not mad. Short LH trips take it out of me as I've got older, but I still do them. Excellent use of an expiring 241.

I went to HKG for 2 night in F/CW for new years eve a couple of years ago. Was a excellent experience all round. Always come back from these things saying we wont do it again, but then a deal comes up that I can't say no to.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I did a 3 night Cape Town trip in Jan 2012 with 4 mates.

It really is the ideal weekend break, because there is no time difference (give or take) and you fly overnight. You actually get MORE time on the ground going to CPT overnight Friday than you would flying to, say, Spain on Saturday morning.

If you live and work in London, it is easy to do:
Work Thursday
Off to Heathrow, fly overnight
All Fri, Sat and most of Sunday in CPT
Overnight flight back on Sunday and straight into work with no jet lag
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:43 am

Too short? We did three full days with two nights at a hotel:
Check this report for inspiration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...e-country.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.