Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by vibrex
If the decision has been made then the aircraft will be full of useful parts. However (and I am open to being corrected) I would think it depends on who actually owns the aircraft. They tend to be owned by financial institutions - or they certainly used to.
They often are, but not in this case. BA owns G-BNLL (I think it owns most of the rest of its fleet, too). The details of the registration are publicly available on the CAA site:

Code:
Aircraft

Manufacturer:        BOEING COMPANY 
Type:                BOEING 747-436 
Serial No.:          24054 

Registration History and Owner Details

Issue Date:          13/06/1990 
End Date: 
Reference:           G-BNLL/R1 
Notes:

Ownership Status: Owned 
Registered Owner(s): BRITISH AIRWAYS PLC
                     WATERSIDE (HCA3)
                     PO BOX 365, HARMONDSWORTH
                     WEST DRAYTON
                     UB7 0GB
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PotNoodle
It has been discovered that the 747-400 that hit a building at Johannesburg last month has been written off ...
As already posted above, from quite an authoritative source.
I wonder if it will be scrapped at JNB airport ...
Where else could it be, seeing as she is not airworthy?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by cynicalmoose
They often are, but not in this case. BA owns G-BNLL (I think it owns most of the rest of its fleet, too). The details of the registration are publicly available on the CAA site:

Code:
Aircraft

Manufacturer:        BOEING COMPANY 
Type:                BOEING 747-436 
Serial No.:          24054 

Registration History and Owner Details

Issue Date:          13/06/1990 
End Date: 
Reference:           G-BNLL/R1 
Notes:

Ownership Status: Owned 
Registered Owner(s): BRITISH AIRWAYS PLC
                     WATERSIDE (HCA3)
                     PO BOX 365, HARMONDSWORTH
                     WEST DRAYTON
                     UB7 0GB
Thanks for that, it's been a while since I did my Legislation!
In that case I think we can safely say that BA will want all the bits off it.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by vibrex
Thanks for that, it's been a while since I did my Legislation!
In that case I think we can safely say that BA will want all the bits off it.
If the insurance co pay BA on the hull loss,the airframe and bits belong to them.

BA may well do a deal for bits they want,but they would be buying these from the insurance co.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It has been discovered that the 747-400 that hit a building at Johannesburg last month has been written off by the insurance company and will be scrapped. It is not really a surprise as the pictures looked quite bad and it is 24 years old, I wonder if it will be scrapped at JNB airport and what will happen to the spare parts? Will BA want the engines and interiors shipping back to the UK?

http://www.planespotters.net/Product...sh-Airways.php
Not the case. As I posted in the Fleet thread, no final decision has been made, and the option of bringing in a wing spar tip from Arizona is still being considered. Source: senior BA executive.

Last edited by LondonElite; Mar 1, 2014 at 5:58 am
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Word on the street inside the 747 fleet as it's def scrapped-already mentioned in an internal BA mag saying it's retired. Unless things have changed in the last few years, BA didn't insure the hull itself-just any exterior damage to buildings/people-they would suck up the loss of the hull themselves..sort of a third party, fire and theft insurance..
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
This is a week or two behind but thought I'd post.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...esburg-395653/
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no longer atc
Unless things have changed in the last few years, BA didn't insure the hull itself-just any exterior damage to buildings/people-they would suck up the loss of the hull themselves..sort of a third party, fire and theft insurance..
That, though, is itself a change from the days of G-AWND's loss!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly, the Qantas Source reports that VH-OJA had a technical issue on Friday, causing a long delay, and that the aircraft was repaired using parts from "withdrawn British Airways Boeing 747-436 G-BNLL".
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Interestingly, the Qantas Source reports that VH-OJA had a technical issue on Friday, causing a long delay, and that the aircraft was repaired using parts from "withdrawn British Airways Boeing 747-436 G-BNLL".
As I remember "Withdrawn from service" means routine maintenance not being carried out,"Permanently withdrawn from service" means being scrapped.

I have no doubt many useful parts will be reoved from this aircraft.They can still be put back.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For anyone who follows this thread but not the arrivals and retirements thread, BApilotinsider has posted what seems to be final sad news now, coupled with some of the consequent effects on the remainder of the fleet:-
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
NLL has now been officially retired.

NLE will now fly on a little longer than the original plan, and NLF will have an additional maintenance check to enable her to fly on for 3 to 4 more years.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC, Skywards, KLM
Originally Posted by Globaliser
For anyone who follows this thread but not the arrivals and retirements thread, BApilotinsider has posted what seems to be final sad news now, coupled with some of the consequent effects on the remainder of the fleet:-
Now, NLE with New First will fly for a little while more, but NLF is old First, so having a maintenance check to make it fly for another 3-4 years hopefully means New First will be installed on it from one of the retiring hulls.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean Bhalach
... but NLF is old First, so having a maintenance check to make it fly for another 3-4 years hopefully means New First will be installed on it from one of the retiring hulls.
Yes, that's the general plan for the OF aircraft that are remaining in the fleet. See, for example, this November 2013 item from the BA Source: http://www.thebasource.com/british-a...awal-schedule/
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Update to an old thread - it seems that G-BNLL has been retired, but the building is still there! This pic was taken 20 Dec 2014, so a year after the incident that building still hasn't really been fixed.

Last edited by RCyyz; Jan 14, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
Update to an old thread - it seems that G-BNLL has been retired, but the building is still there!
Indeed - neither has been repaired, even though the building is capable of being fixed. Every time I've seen it over the last year I've been expecting to see some work being done on it - but no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.