Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Old Dec 29, 13, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by greg5 View Post
Here's a link to the MSDS for Jet-A http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/m.../025/BPFXN.HTM

I was told long ago by some aviation industry engineer the following: Commercial jet engines can burn pretty much any fuel. Jet-A is the cheapest fuel they can burn so that's what they burn. Diesel is more expensive, and more reactive than Jet-A.

It's been quite awhile since I've talked with a fuels expert, so I might not be 100% correct on this. But I remember being quite surprised, as I though Jet fuel was some high-tech fuel.
Jet A1 is optimised to burn in modern jet engine combustors,and contains various additives to help its burn and decrease volativity outside of burner cans.Other widecut fuels can be burnt,but if the aircraft is fuelled with any,then it will be required to be removed from service after a few hours,from memory around 30, to have the whole system purged and the engines inspected.

Airlines use exclusively Jet A1 because the effort of using anything else is not worth the bother.The military occassionally use other fuels,but even that is getting rarer.
Old Dec 29, 13, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
What would you expect/ask for on the topic of compensation

As I have stated before the affected passengers on board were given a form to fill out and told we would be contacted regarding compensation.

If you had been on the affected flight with the wing going into the building and it had disrupted your travel plans around Christmas and you are forced to spend an extra night in the cityhow much compensation would you be expecting and in what form? Avios, cash or e-travel voucher. I know a broken AVOD can get you 15-30k Avios and a broken chair in First can get you 150,000 Avios.

Would you think this would fall within standard compensation thoughts for BA or would the collision with the building and potential danger which was avoided play a part in possible increase in compensation. I'm asking because i'm interested to hear the thoughts of other board members had they been in this situation.
Old Dec 29, 13, 5:27 pm

Bright Side...

Looking on the bright side however, it is part of the BNL* 747 series meaning that it is one of the older ones (1990). Also, G-BNLL is one of the last 747's remaining without new first and to add to this it is a 52-BUS aircraft which can be a bit of an inconvenience. With 747's now being phased out I wouldn't be surprised if this aircraft never came back into service.
Old Dec 29, 13, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Sign47 View Post
As I have stated before the affected passengers on board were given a form to fill out and told we would be contacted regarding compensation.

If you had been on the affected flight with the wing going into the building and it had disrupted your travel plans around Christmas and you are forced to spend an extra night in the cityhow much compensation would you be expecting and in what form? Avios, cash or e-travel voucher. I know a broken AVOD can get you 15-30k Avios and a broken chair in First can get you 150,000 Avios.

Would you think this would fall within standard compensation thoughts for BA or would the collision with the building and potential danger which was avoided play a part in possible increase in compensation. I'm asking because i'm interested to hear the thoughts of other board members had they been in this situation.
I would be looking at the EU delay compensation as a minimum starting point, plus expenses incurred.
Old Dec 29, 13, 5:44 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
I would be looking at the EU delay compensation as a minimum starting point, plus expenses incurred.
In a case like this, do airlines give equal comp to everyone ? Squeeky wheels get more ? Elites ?
Old Dec 30, 13, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by 9prycer View Post
Looking on the bright side however, it is part of the BNL* 747 series meaning that it is one of the older ones (1990). Also, G-BNLL is one of the last 747's remaining without new first and to add to this it is a 52-BUS aircraft which can be a bit of an inconvenience. With 747's now being phased out I wouldn't be surprised if this aircraft never came back into service.
Welcome to FT!

I think this may very well be the case. G-BNLL wasn't planned for retirement over the next few years, but I doubt it will come back into service.
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:39 am

Any news on g bnll yet will she be repaired or not
Old Jan 4, 14, 9:58 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Ba213 View Post
Any news on g bnll yet will she be repaired or not

I suppose the bean counters are busy compiling costs of repairs, scrap, increase in ins. premiums, impact on fleet, gains to be made with a state of the art replacement etc.

Scapping sounds more practical.
Old Jan 4, 14, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by HMPS View Post

Scapping sounds more practical.
Oh yes.

Old Jan 4, 14, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, FPC Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Oh yes.

Like it. How much does it cost to insure one of these birds? I'm sure it's out of Churchill's league...
Old Jan 4, 14, 12:20 pm

Suppose it depends on the extent of the structural wing damage. By now I would have thought it would be clear whether repair or scrap is cost effective. With lots of time and hours available on this particular aircraft before any major further check and recent refurb, I still wonder whether its not the end. They certainly wont get new for old insurance replacement even if it was feasible !
Whats BA got left in the desert in the way of flyable 744's ?
If scrapped, do they have local facilities at JNB ?
Old Jan 5, 14, 5:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
Heard today from a BA source that she will indeed be scrapped. Not really a surprise though.
Old Jan 5, 14, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Originally Posted by FLT001 View Post
Heard today from a BA source that she will indeed be scrapped. Not really a surprise though.
I hate gossip, but... are the pilots still flying?
Old Jan 5, 14, 6:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
Originally Posted by Speedbird876 View Post
I hate gossip, but... are the pilots still flying?
Don't know that I'm afraid, my source was in engineering.
Old Jan 5, 14, 6:42 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FLT001 View Post
Don't know that I'm afraid, my source was in engineering.
Heard the same today, this from a senior RR source....it will be scrapped. And it was not a difficult decision apparently - a "no-brainer". RR are involved because of the recovery and re-use of the RB211s

Search this Thread