Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
The pilot just wanted one for the road. Too bad the bar was closed.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was on this flight and sat by a window seat on the wing (don't want to reveal my seat number yet because BA has some explaining to do) but cabin crew were very professional and did their best to keep all aboard calm.

They kept us on board for over an hour after the collision and the message we were getting most was to turn our electronics off. This is because the captain and crew knew everyone was taking photos and posting to social media from their seats.

I will say we were travelling quite fast when we collided with the building. In my opinion not the standard taxi speed. We hit the brakes hard, glad I was wearing my seat belt! The first thing we hit was a lamppost and at that point I thought I was dreaming! I know the reports say no fatalities in the building but several people said the lights were on and people were in the building when the plane's wing struck the building.

The question all passengers are asking was it pilots fault or air traffic controllers fault or a mixture of both? The damage is extensive.

We were very worried about the fuel leaking from the wing but the captain told us it was under control with emergency services on the scene at once.

Chaos after we got off the plane and no one from BA there to help. This was very poor! It took me and many others three hours to be given a hotel room (Southern Sun airport hotel).

Very tired but I hope I get back to my family for Christmas. We'll find out in the morning what BA can do by putting us on others flights.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by Sign47
I was on this flight and sat by a window seat on the wing (don't want to reveal my seat number yet because BA has some explaining to do) but cabin crew were very professional and did their best to keep all aboard calm.

They kept us on board for over an hour after the collision and the message we were getting most was to turn our electronics off. This is because the captain and crew knew everyone was taking photos and posting to social media from their seats.

I will say we were travelling quite fast when we collided with the building. In my opinion not the standard taxi speed. We hit the brakes hard, glad I was wearing my seat belt! The first thing we hit was a lamppost and at that point I thought I was dreaming! I know the reports say no fatalities in the building but several people said the lights were on and people were in the building when the plane's wing struck the building.

The question all passengers are asking was it pilots fault or air traffic controllers fault or a mixture of both? The damage is extensive.

We were very worried about the fuel leaking from the wing but the captain told us it was under control with emergency services on the scene at once.

Chaos after we got off the plane and no one from BA there to help. This was very poor! It took me and many others three hours to be given a hotel room (Southern Sun airport hotel).

Very tired but I hope I get back to my family for Christmas. We'll find out in the morning what BA can do by putting us on others flights.
Thanks for your input - very informative. ^

Hope you get sorted with hotels and are able to fly tomorrow.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by vibrex
Thanks for your input - very informative. ^

Hope you get sorted with hotels and are able to fly tomorrow.
+1, best of luck Sign47
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:26 pm

You say that with quite some certainty. You don't think it was maybe to do with the fuel leak from the damaged wing? I'm glad that no-one appears to be injured. Hope it stays that way.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Another thanks for posting Sign47

Hope it all works out and yes an excellent example of why it is important to wear your seatbelt!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Originally Posted by Skimo
You say that with quite some certainty. You don't think it was maybe to do with the fuel leak from the damaged wing? I'm glad that no-one appears to be injured. Hope it stays that way.
I would assume (hope?) that if the crew were truly concerned about personal electronics causing a fire then they'd've done an emergency evacuation vs. trusting that all the passengers had turned off their electronics. Also, I'd think that, if there were that fear it would come more from the aircraft's electronics and not personal electronics.

'though I don't know why they asked for the electronics to be switched off, I don't think it was due to a fear of combustion.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
BA have just tweeted about this.

Originally Posted by BA
British Airways ‏@British_Airways 25m

One of our aircraft was damaged whilst taxiing at JNB airport. All 182 passengers disembarked safely with no reported injuries onboard
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Glad to hear no-one on the ground was injured...which is the main thing.

The questions as to how it happened or who was to blame can come later.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Had another look at the wing fuel tanks on a 747 and they are shown here

Each wing has two main and one reserve tank. I think it is the reserve tank which starts above engine 4 and extends outwards on the starboard wing. No idea whether there would actually be any fuel in there anyway so there may have been no danger of a fuel leak and fire. Bear in mind that the JNB-LHR distance is around 5600 miles, and that a 747-400 at max take-off weight can do 8350 miles, so this plane would not have had all tanks full of fuel.
The 10 tonnes in the stabilizer tank would be the last fuel to be loaded,so the wings may indeed have been full.The fuel is Jet A1 which is not very volatile in ordinary life,but burns well in the specially designed combustor cans.There was no big heat source here to set the fuel off,so no risk of fire,hence the Captain kept everybody on board for an hour.

Sending passengers down the slides would be far more risky than waiting for steps and buses to be brought to remove the passengers.

This all means that somebody is in for an interview with no tea and biscuits.The ultimate responsibility lies with the Captain.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by dunk
BA have just tweeted about this.
Only 182 pax on a lowJ 747...quite a light load!

Glad everyone is safe.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by KARFA
Could it be this building I marked?

Google maps

Seems the most likely candidate after looking around the taxiways. Looking at the charts it seems to have been taxiing down Bravo towards 03L but didn't follow Bravo towards Juliet, and instead carried straight on to something which is not a taxiway - hence why there is a building close by.

Glad not more serious.
That something most certainly is a taxiway - for things the size of a CRJ or smaller. There's one clearly visible in the parking area at the south end of it. Not so much a taxiway for a 747, though.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skimo
BA can't have it both ways. If there was a leak, and they were not evacuating the passengers, it was criminal. And BTW PEDs inside don't ignite fuel outside!
I was on this flight [...] and the message we were getting most was to turn our electronics off. This is because the captain and crew knew everyone was taking photos and posting to social media from their seats.
He/she was there.

Good luck with BA reaccomodating you to your destination ASAP!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airport Surface Moving Map Displays

Has BA invested in Airport Surface Moving Map Displays for its fleet?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DanTravels
That something most certainly is a taxiway - for things the size of a CRJ or smaller. There's one clearly visible in the parking area at the south end of it. Not so much a taxiway for a 747, though.
Indeed, it's taxiway Mike according to the charts.

This is pretty unbelievable. It will be interesting to read the transcript of the CVR but BA will have to share the blame if it didn't install an Airport Surface Moving Map Display (or allow its pilots to use Google Maps on their smartphone when taxiing [just a joke, but that's what such a system does])

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.