TP Run to LBA - have to re-clear security?

Old Dec 20, 13, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question TP Run to LBA - have to re-clear security?

I'm 20 points short of renewing gold, with time running out before my year ends.

Is it possible to fly to Leeds on BA 1342 (arrives 16:25) then depart on BA 1343 at 17:10?

I would have no luggage, so just depends if I would have to exit and re-clear security.

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 13, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes you have to go through security, there is no transfer route at LBA. Once you go through the baggage area and through customs and the one way exit, turn right and follow the terminal to the security at the far end. You should be able to use fast track security.

45 minutes will be plenty. I reckon you should be back around to the gate in no moe than 25 minutes.
Old Dec 20, 13, 4:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I hesitate to wander into KARFA's cabbage patch, but the only thing I'd add is that though the signs are not very clear, you do have to walk through duty free to get to the gate, there's a sharp left turn after security. You may even have a few minutes to experience the Yorkshire Lounge!
Old Dec 20, 13, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I hesitate to wander into KARFA's cabbage patch, but the only thing I'd add is that though the signs are not very clear, you do have to walk through duty free to get to the gate, there's a sharp left turn after security. You may even have a few minutes to experience the Yorkshire Lounge!
Haha, c-w-s I was leaving the departure lounge experience as a surprise for BA-Flyer. That's the old LBA when as soon as you came out of security you were dumped straight in to a duty free shop - it has all changed now! LBA departures area was refurbished last year.

Actually it is a sharp right now, immediately up the escalator and then a walk along and turn left just before the burger king/camden food bit, then through the duty free shop. They have deliberatly designed the terminal to provide the longest possible walk between security and the gate! Yorkshire Premier Lounge is on the right after the duty free shop.

BA usually uses one of the jetbridges (we have 2 you know ) and in my experience is usually gate 7.
Old Dec 20, 13, 4:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It was the "new" left turn before Burger King I was thinking of actually, since the sign to turn left into duty free for the gates is some way earlier, and every time I've been there I've seen people continue to walk into Burger King, round to the bar and then realise they are in a cul de sac. Not sure Yorkshire has such a thing as a cul de sac, apart from Harrogate presumably.
Old Dec 20, 13, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen people continue to walk into Burger King, round to the bar and then realise they are in a cul de sac. Not sure Yorkshire has such a thing as a cul de sac, apart from Harrogate presumably.
I did exactly that the first time I went there after it changed. I tried to look cool and pretend that is what I intended to do all along , not sure it worked. Fortunately it was about 6am so not too many folks around.
Old Dec 21, 13, 7:00 pm

Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
Did the LBA turn-around last weekend. Yes, had a "Did I make a wrong turn? " moment half-way into that Duty Free. The "path" gets a bit narrower than a main path would be and does a 90` turn, so it's easy to feel momentarily off the trail.
Your time on the griund should be ok (assuming you have printed your boarfing passes for both flights and go straight to & thru security).
Possibly not enough time to enjoy the Yorkshire Premier Lounge, but it's right by BA's gates, the desk is right at the door, so woukd only take seconds to pop in and ask if onward flight is leaving on time.
Old Jan 24, 14, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Possible without fast track security?

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Yes you have to go through security, there is no transfer route at LBA. Once you go through the baggage area and through customs and the one way exit, turn right and follow the terminal to the security at the far end. You should be able to use fast track security.

45 minutes will be plenty. I reckon you should be back around to the gate in no moe than 25 minutes.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought it was better than starting a new thread.

Is it possible to do this turnaround in 40 minutes (or 35 minutes if I do it on a Sunday) without access to fast track security?

TIA
Old Jan 24, 14, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Bobbex View Post
Is it possible to do this turnaround in 40 minutes (or 35 minutes if I do it on a Sunday) without access to fast track security?
Yes, if you get off the aircraft quickly / by the front. You can easily get landside in 5 minutes, then back airside in another 5 or 10.

I am assuming no checked baggage of course.

It's not a big airport, in fact it's quite thin, just has a few twists and turns.
Old Jan 24, 14, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Not sure Yorkshire has such a thing as a cul de sac, apart from Harrogate presumably.
Hull actually, well more like a black hole.
Old Jan 24, 14, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would agree with c-w-s completely. As long as you have some idea I where you are going you should do it with plenty of time to spare - see earlier in the thread for instructions.

One thing I am not sure of is if all BA passengers get fast track? I got the impression somewhere that they might do. Have only ever gone through LBA on BA as silver or higher. If the normal security looks desperate you can pay to go through fast track - I think £3 from memory. There is a ticket machine at the start of the security lanes to do this.

Who would have thought LBA becoming a TP run destination?
Old Jan 24, 14, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

Who would have thought LBA becoming a TP run destination?
Lol - it's happened due to necessity because of a series of rescheduled trips but it should be interesting.

Thanks c-w-s and KARFA.
Old Jan 24, 14, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold

I flew down from LBA this morning. It is a nonsense with the walk through Duty Free!

Yes, all BA passengers are entitled to Fast Track.

The lounge had the heating whacked up full this morning - or perhaps I was perspiring after having one or two too many pints of Tetley's on my night out.....
Old Jan 24, 14, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I did a TP run turnaround at LBA on the Saturday before Xmas and it was easy, took 10 minutes or so to get out and back in through security (no queue at all). Had time to buy a coffee and cake airside and then boarded for the return. We didn't leave the gate for a good 15 minutes after that, so you have plenty of time to spare.

Good luck with the trip!
Old Jan 26, 14, 1:56 pm

Thanks and one more question

Thanks for all the advice!

One last question, do I need to buy two separate one-way fares? I cannot book via the BA site or any OTA, which I suspect is because of minimum connection times.

Any insight on the best way to book these tickets?

TIA

Search this Thread
Search Engine: