Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TP Run to LBA - have to re-clear security?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 2:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pjso
Sorry, what is HBO ?
Hand baggage only, so no checked bags.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: *G | OW Sapphire
Thanks. All went well. Crews super attentive And The films at security making a face like "I've seen this person before"
Old May 18, 2017, 9:09 am

@KARFA
Just thought I would check to see if all is still the same as set out above for an LBA B2B? Presumably unlike LHR there is no cut off time to go through security?
Many thanks!
Old May 18, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by twentyfourseven
@KARFA
Just thought I would check to see if all is still the same as set out above for an LBA B2B? Presumably unlike LHR there is no cut off time to go through security?
Many thanks!
All the same. Head out landside, turn right after exiting and follow the terminal building, use fast track security, upstairs after security, follow the signs through the duty free shop towards the gates. You should have plenty of time.

When are you considering doing it?
Old May 18, 2017, 9:36 am

LHR - LBA BA 1344 lands 18:45
LBA - LHR BA 1345 departs 19:20

Just a warning on this one. BA1345 was the last flight out in Winter (but assume more in summer as LBA a holiday airport)

I was booked a year out on an LBA to Muscat via LHR with an overnight at LHR. Then ended up in London on the day of the flight out. Booked to fly up on 1344 to then fly back with family on 1345.

1344 was delayed by 2 hoursish. Went to desk in LHR who phone LBA, then Newcastle as LBA did not pick up. They also informed the crew on the plane.

They had to keep LBA security open for me. I was met at the plane door and taken by a back route to security- where I was the only person. Scanned through.

Drink in the lounge and 1st in the queue for rebounding

However they were clear that had they not been alerted security would have been closed.

Last edited by Barnaby100; May 18, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old May 18, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
What are the loads like on LBA flights these days? The prices when I've looked seem to suggest it's not too busy.

Last two times I got the train to Leeds there were staffing issues meaning the full first class menu wasn't available (and what was served took an age). So I could eat in the Flounge at LHR and have a cheaper and more enjoyable experience (the first wing also helps sway me towards flying).

As for back to backs, I agree with c-w-s, it sounds like NCL or one of the Scottish airports would be easier. I remember having to go landside at MAN too although I may have made a mistake in that case
Old May 18, 2017, 10:01 am

Full on Sundays as trains don't run early. Usually pretty full on the am flight. I no longer book the early pm as it gets cancelled all the time - either in advance of on the day.

East Coast trains has really gone up in price for 1st (sitting on a train to Leeds as I type). Cant remember the last time I had both wifi and a full meal choice on East Coast- it is total pants at the moment. Curry Thursday with no curry today.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by layz
What are the loads like on LBA flights these days? The prices when I've looked seem to suggest it's not too busy.
Passenger numbers keeping improving significantly even now coming up to 5 years in. In terms of average loads per flight I don't know the figure, but in terms of monthly numbers these are the figures:

December 5,580

January 7,763
February 9,326
March 9,996
April 9,729
May 9,259
June 9,738
July 9,947
August 10,058
September 11,893
October 11,381
November 10,187
December 9,440 (69.18%)

January 8,642 (11.32%)
February 9,305 (-0.23%)
March 9,269 (-7.27%)
April 11,673 (19.98%)
May 11,354 (22.63%)
June 11,593 (19.05%)
July 12,448 (25.14%)
August 11,905 (18.36%)
September 13,696 (15.16%)
October 11,617 (2.07%)
November 10,298 (1.09%)
December 10,525 (11.49%)
132,325 (11.46%)

January 9,534 (10.32%)
February 10,965 (17.84%)
March 10,984 (18.50%)
April 13,453 (15.25%)
May 12,202 (7.47%)
June 13,109 (13.08%)
July 12,994 (4.39%)
August 13,278 (11.53%)
September 15,590 (13.83%)
October 13,769 (18.52%)
November 11,150 (8.27%)
December 11,768 (11.81%)
148,796 (12.45%)

January 10,313 (8.17%)
February 11,925 (8.76%)
March 13,669 (24.44%)
April 13,411 (-0.31%)
May 13,081 (7.20%)
June 12,810 (-2.28%)
July 12,962 (-0.25%)
August 14,492 (9.14%)
September 16,928 (8.58%)
October 14,799 (7.48%)
November 13,980 (25.38%)
December 12,333 (4.80%)
160,703 (8.00%)

January 10,768 (4.41%)
February 13,024 (9.22%)
March 14,630 (7.03%)
I have no doubt if the passengers number had plateaued already BA may well have lost interest and stopped it. Whilst it is still showing good growth I imagine they are still interested.

The main weakness is that there is no nightstop and the first southbound of the day gets in to LHR at 1045 so you can't connect to anything before 1145. I keep hearing the odd whisper about a possible nightstop and an earlier southbound, but obviously early arrival slots are like gold dust.

Last two times I got the train to Leeds there were staffing issues meaning the full first class menu wasn't available (and what was served took an age). So I could eat in the Flounge at LHR and have a cheaper and more enjoyable experience (the first wing also helps sway me towards flying).
Try the flight. I prefer it over the train.

As for back to backs, I agree with c-w-s, it sounds like NCL or one of the Scottish airports would be easier. I remember having to go landside at MAN too although I may have made a mistake in that case
At NCL can you stay airside? I know you can at EDI. If you can stay airside then obviously NCL would be an easier b2b. Tbh compared to airports where you have to go landside, LBA must be one of the easiest alongside others like RTM or INV.

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Full on Sundays as trains don't run early. Usually pretty full on the am flight. I no longer book the early pm as it gets cancelled all the time - either in advance of on the day.
I think my travel pattern is probably different to yours as I don't take the early pm one too often so can't compare directly. I haven't had that many cancellations over the years, probably around 6 or 7. Most of the time it has been due to weather and therefore arrival rate restrictions at LHR which has lead to cancellations on a number of domestic and short haul routes. Other than that I have found it pretty reliable and pretty punctual.

Last edited by KARFA; May 18, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old May 18, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barnaby100

East Coast trains has really gone up in price for 1st (sitting on a train to Leeds as I type). Cant remember the last time I had both wifi and a full meal choice on East Coast- it is total pants at the moment. Curry Thursday with no curry today.
I bet they still have the Curry Thursday menus out? Really has been disappointing lately. Last time in first class there was a single drinks run, we were told if we wanted water to get it from the 'water station' in the vestibule.

Another reason to fly is it's easier to hire a car on arrival as the airport has late opening (maybe 24 hours, not sure) car hire. Means I can't have alcohol though (on the train I normally collect the car the morning after travelling), but my liver might thank me

BA economy class (as long as I avoid the busy flights Theoretical Seating should keep me good) + HEX fare is working out much cheaper than 1st class on the train. Sometimes even CE is cheaper than the train but for such a short flight I think ET would more than do.

Originally Posted by KARFA
Passenger numbers keeping improving significantly even now coming up to 5 years in. In terms of average loads per flight I don't know the figure, but in terms of monthly numbers these are the figures:

I have no doubt if the passengers number had plateaued already BA may well have lost interest and stopped it. Whilst it is still showing good growth I imagine they are still interested.
December 2012 I was in that figure So quiet in those days and from T1!
The main weakness is that there is no nightstop and the first southbound of the day gets in to LHR at 1045 so you can't connect to anything before 1145. I keep hearing the odd whisper about a possible nightstop and an earlier southbound, but obviously early arrival slots are like gold dust.
Fortunately not a worry for me. It's most likely if I want a weekend somewhere in Yorkshire.
Try the flight. I prefer it over the train.
Have you tried CE yet? I'm assuming same service as MAN.

At NCL can you stay airside? I know you can at EDI. If you can stay airside then obviously NCL would be an easier b2b. Tbh compared to airports where you have to go landside, LBA must be one of the easiest alongside others like RTM or INV.
Well you can stay in the domestic area where the BA lounge is, you can get into the main departures area easily enough if you walk through a No Entry sign, but as I have lounge access I've had no reason to do so.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:01 am

Well you can stay in the domestic area where the BA lounge is, you can get into the main departures area easily enough if you walk through a No Entry sign, but as I have lounge access I've had no reason to do so.
Not relevant to a back to back ex-LHR (where you can stay airside in the domestic bit) but when I did a DOM-INT connection at Newcastle a couple of years ago, there was a closed security door with a phone next to it, had to ring up and show someone our onward boarding passes to be let through. Not sure if they'd have let us through to go shopping etc?!
Old May 19, 2017, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nikko5
Not relevant to a back to back ex-LHR (where you can stay airside in the domestic bit) but when I did a DOM-INT connection at Newcastle a couple of years ago, there was a closed security door with a phone next to it, had to ring up and show someone our onward boarding passes to be let through. Not sure if they'd have let us through to go shopping etc?!
If it's the door I'm thinking of. It opens automatically from the other side when people are heading from the departures area to the domestic gates so it would be quite easy to get through. It's probably better if you do this officially rather than go through a no entry sign.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by layz
Have you tried CE yet? I'm assuming same service as MAN.
First CE on an LBA flight tomorrow on the morning southbound flight. I have had domestic CE once before on an evening flight to MAN last month. I expect the service should be identical for LBA/MAN in CE.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm having a jaunt up to LBA on Saturday as I've nothing better to do.
Then going to hopefully catch the bus into the city.

Tempted to turn around and fly back to London and then catch the train home but don't think there's enough time to really enjoy the lounge.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by xenole
I'm having a jaunt up to LBA on Saturday as I've nothing better to do.
Then going to hopefully catch the bus into the city.

Tempted to turn around and fly back to London and then catch the train home but don't think there's enough time to really enjoy the lounge.
The lounge is very pleasant, but I wouldn't be making travel plans on the basis of whether there was sufficient time to enjoy it.

If your plan is to get the bus in to town and then the train back to London that would take significantly more time that simply doing a b2b and getting back to LHR. The bus runs every 20 minutes or so, then takes 35 minutes, then the train takes around 2.5 hours.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
The lounge is very pleasant, but I wouldn't be making travel plans on the basis of whether there was sufficient time to enjoy it.

If your plan is to get the bus in to town and then the train back to London that would take significantly more time that simply doing a b2b and getting back to LHR. The bus runs every 20 minutes or so, then takes 35 minutes, then the train takes around 2.5 hours.
I'm parking my car in Doncaster so not far from Leeds. Less than £5 on the train. No rush anyway as the whole weekend is free for me.

Travelling down to Kings Cross in the morning as Virgin East Coast are doing £5 standard class fares at present (£20 in first) again. Might be the same Leeds-London.

Was going to go somewhere in Europe but a lot of hotel prices are ££££ over the weekend. Some places that charge £60+ night usually want 130,000 Hilton points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.