Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA says 'no way FA' [to flying the England team to the World Cup]

Old Dec 17, 13, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red

(Daily Mail warning)

Surprised that the PR element of taking the England team to the World Cup isn't enough of a draw, but I guess with the odds of winning it so remote it's not worth it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2525096/No-deal-British-Airways-snubs-FA-request-fly-England-Brazil-World-Cup.html?ico=sportheadlines
Old Dec 17, 13, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc View Post
(Daily Mail warning)

Surprised that the PR element of taking the England team to the World Cup isn't enough of a draw, but I guess with the odds of winning it so remote it's not worth it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2525096/No-deal-British-Airways-snubs-FA-request-fly-England-Brazil-World-Cup.html?ico=sportheadlines
something wrong with that URL!!!

Air France flew the Olympic flag from London to Rio after the last Olympics - I'm sure Air France would also gladly transport the England team!

Old Dec 17, 13, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wor...World-Cup.html

Eugh, you just made me go to mail online
Old Dec 17, 13, 7:36 am

Programs: Executive Club, AMEX, Club Carlson, Tesco clubcard, Nectar, Odeon
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Indeed whatever you do, don't press on it. It might open a daily mail website.

Regarding BA snubbing FA, those overpaid people who run to get a ball and when they have the ball the kick it away, can take a boat!!! As long it does not cost BA money which needs to be recouped on regular flying people like us.
Old Dec 17, 13, 7:39 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
A recently-withdrawn 747 would be perfect. It's even got enough hold space for John Terry's ego.
Old Dec 17, 13, 7:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post

Air France flew the Olympic flag from London to Rio after the last Olympics - I'm sure Air France would also gladly transport the England team!

I doubt they would.

That was one trip.

This is more or less a month away.
Old Dec 17, 13, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Frenske View Post
Indeed whatever you do, don't press on it. It might open a daily mail website.

Regarding BA snubbing FA, those overpaid people who run to get a ball and when they have the ball the kick it away, can take a boat!!! As long it does not cost BA money which needs to be recouped on regular flying people like us.
AFAIK, all wages and bonuses they get for representing England are donated to charity. While the Premiership wages are obviously excessive, they generate far more money than they actually receive in wages so I don't see how anyone could really have a problem with their wages. If you want to blame anyone for the wage levels then blame the people who pour billions of pounds a year into watching the sport. It stinks of jealousy to me, and I struggle to believe many of the people moaning about it would refuse large pay rises because they deem their work unworthy of it!

But on topic, I don't see why they can't just fly over there commercially - do they really need to charter an entire plane? Even if they need to split it over a couple of flights (I doubt they'd accept flying in economy!) is it such a big deal?
Old Dec 17, 13, 7:51 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Wow...

what happened to being a "flag carrier"?

Old Dec 17, 13, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by callum9999 View Post
But on topic, I don't see why they can't just fly over there commercially - do they really need to charter an entire plane? Even if they need to split it over a couple of flights (I doubt they'd accept flying in economy!) is it such a big deal?
They will need to do some internal flights to matches and thus require an aircraft to take them, ferry them around and then bring them back.
Old Dec 17, 13, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens View Post
They will need to do some internal flights to matches and thus require an aircraft to take them, ferry them around and then bring them back.
Yes but again, why can't they do so commercially? Is every team going to the world cup really chartering their own jets?
Old Dec 17, 13, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by callum9999 View Post
Yes but again, why can't they do so commercially? Is every team going to the world cup really chartering their own jets?
I would imagine it is security related and probably a condition of the players being made available by their clubs.
Old Dec 17, 13, 8:25 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Make those overpaid nancies charter their own jet. If Iron Maiden can do it, so can they. Edit, just like Maiden painting their leased jet, have it repainted in the England colours, it would actually be a neat thing to see.

As for being a flag carrier, hard truth it may be and likely to cause a storm in a tea cup, it is not England Airways. (....jumps over the sofa to get my flak jacket....).

Last edited by jcm9000; Dec 17, 13 at 8:48 am
Old Dec 17, 13, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
My understanding is that BA is quite happy to fly the team there and back but it cannot just give them a whole airframe for the month which is a bit much really - it would just be those of us who pay for travelling that would end up collecting the tab for this...

FD.
Old Dec 17, 13, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Of course this is an article in the DM, but it seems to suggest that the FA are expecting their troupe to be transported for free:

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
'In return BA gets no more than a photo of the back of the plane in a few newspapers.
Huh? Why would the FA expect that? Fair enough if sometimes companies feel the need for charity or sponsorship, but where does the expectation come from? They have 23 players, so if it costs $10 million (again, assuming the DM report sticks to the fact), surely they could just pitch in according to their salary and it would be peanuts to them?
Old Dec 17, 13, 8:49 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Cue Beardie...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: