GGL partner card rules question

Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
So, unless the Gold status is automatically rolled over for a further year, or unless his membership is re-aligned (it hasn't been yet), his Gold card will only have a 4 month term, unless I re-nominate him next year when my membership/GGL year renews.
The same thing happened to the account of my colleague whom I gifted the Gold card. She then called the UK hotline and they told her that it should be rolled over at the end of his membership year. So in line with the F&Q linked, however, as observed by others before, this contradicts the T&C.

I think we'll only find out when the membership year finishes and I assume we certainly need to call in then on behalf of our family/friends/colleagues... Well, I've saved the F&Q just in case...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Has this happened in the last day or two? If so I wonder if it is worth waiting a few more days to see if this is confirmed? It would be a change to the previous process (and is kind of hinted at in the terms and conditions).
His card has arrived in the post today with an expiry date of April 2014, so a mere 4 months validity, which seems to contravene the advertised benefit.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
His card has arrived in the post today with an expiry date of April 2014, so a mere 4 months validity, which seems to contravene the advertised benefit.
Call the GGL number and explain the situation and see what they say. When I called (exactly the same situation although the nominee has not received their card as yet) I was told that their membership is for the remainder of their year and the following year and that the dates on their account can take "6 to 8 weeks to update". They also assured me they could see that their (updated Gold) membership expires in March 2015.

Given your nominee's card is printed, I would call (or have them call the Gold line).
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Here's a question:

Gold member, membership year expires July, will be GGL from February. How long do they have to give the partner cards? One year from February? Only until July?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA6501
Gold member, membership year expires July, will be GGL from February. How long do they have to give the partner cards? One year from February? Only until July?
One year and a bit years from February until the following July.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
Don't you get another set of partner cards when your year rolls over? Or have I been confused by extra renewals caused by the recent changes?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Hmmmm.. thanks for that - this is new then (as you say!). I guess it stops the 23-month membership loophole...
I was trying to read and understand the rules:
8.5. Where a non-Executive Club member is nominated for a discretionary British Airways Gold/Silver card they will receive an e-mail from the Executive Club with details of how to enrol and to provide additional information for their partner card application. This information must be completed by the Nominee within 14 days of receipt, otherwise the nomination will expire.

8.6. On receipt of a satisfactory application form British Airways shall at its discretion issue to the Nominee a discretionary Silver/Gold Partner Card which will be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of issue. The discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last for the remainder of the nominating Members membership year, followed by a 12 month period in conjunction with the nominating Members membership year.

8.7. The Nominee should expect to receive their discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold card within 28 days of the date of nomination and acceptance by British Airways.

8.8. Standard booking lead times apply. Members are responsible for paying additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.

8.9. Nominees with existing Executive Club membership will commence a new membership year as a Member at the time of issue by British Airways of the new Silver/Gold Partner Card. All current Avios Points will be transferred to the new membership and any existing Executive Club Tier Points will expire other than as Lifetime Tier Points.
It seems to me that if you nominate someone with no existing EC account, the status could last as long as 23 months (the remainder of your membership year plus a year after that). I'm reading that 8.6 applies to the case stated in 8.5, where a non-Executive Club member is nominated.

However, it seems that if you nominate someone with an existing EC account, 8.9 applies, and the nominee's status will last exactly 12 months.

Does this sound like a reasonable interpretation, and does this interpretation match up with everyone's recent experience?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I think you are reading the T&C's too literally. Everything I have seen thus far from my own referrals suggests they will get the same status validity as if they had earned it at the time of referral so the balance of their membership year plus 12 months.

This is how the old style gold and silver referral process and earned upgrade process worked. I would be surprised if the IT allowed BA to do this any other way since membership and status years are absolutely fixed.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
If anyone has a spare partner card I will take it off their hands for a small fee (if this is against the rules then nevermind, nothing to see here)
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I think you are reading the T&C's too literally. Everything I have seen thus far from my own referrals suggests they will get the same status validity as if they had earned it at the time of referral so the balance of their membership year plus 12 months.

This is how the old style gold and silver referral process and earned upgrade process worked. I would be surprised if the IT allowed BA to do this any other way since membership and status years are absolutely fixed.
I think you're right. The relevant T&C entries seem to have been updated at some point in the past few weeks - the possibly-contradictory entries have now been combined into one, which seems to leave things very clear and unambiguous:

On receipt of a satisfactory application form British Airways shall at its discretion issue to the Nominee a discretionary Silver/Gold Partner Card which will be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of issue. For Nominees who are existing Executive Club Members, the discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last for the remainder of the Nominee's existing membership year, followed by a 12 month period. For Nominees who are not existing Executive Club Members at time of nomination Silver/Gold cards will be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee.
There's no longer any mention of realigning anyone's membership year with that of the nominating member.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by arh1
Call the GGL number and explain the situation and see what they say. When I called (exactly the same situation although the nominee has not received their card as yet) I was told that their membership is for the remainder of their year and the following year and that the dates on their account can take "6 to 8 weeks to update". They also assured me they could see that their (updated Gold) membership expires in March 2015.

Given your nominee's card is printed, I would call (or have them call the Gold line).
MrSimonR, I was wondering if you ever got this sorted out/spoke to another at BA? My wife received her card, with incorrect dates also however they reassured her that it will rollover to next membership year...
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:03 pm

MrSimonR, I was wondering if you ever got this sorted out/spoke to another at BA? My wife received her card, with incorrect dates also however they reassured her that it will rollover to next membership year...
I'm afraid not. His Gold membership still expires in April 2014.

I emailed the GGL team (6 Jan), who replied:
"I have sent a message to our fulfilment team asking them if they can explain this. I write will to you again as soon as they get back to me".

Needless to say, no one has contacted me, and the GGL team has not replied (20 days have already passed).

I followed up 3 days ago to the GGL team, asking for an update, and they haven't replied.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

I spoke with the GGL team on another partner card issue on Friday and was told exactly this, balance of membership plus the next.
I do get the impression however that the recent change has thrown a few issues up with the system and they are trying to sort them out.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:36 pm

I'm afraid not. His Gold membership still expires in April 2014.

I emailed the GGL team (6 Jan), who replied:
"I have sent a message to our fulfilment team asking them if they can explain this. I write will to you again as soon as they get back to me".

Needless to say, no one has contacted me, and the GGL team has not replied (20 days have already passed).

I followed up 3 days ago to the GGL team, asking for an update, and they haven't replied.
That is disappointing to hear. My wife's partner gold account has an expiry of Feb 8th 2014 (should be 2015), so I will see what happens on Feb 9th and let you know the outcome.

Last edited by TangoOneSeven; Jan 26, 2014 at 2:31 pm Reason: wrong information.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:16 pm

That is disappointing to hear. My wife's partner gold account has an expiry of Feb 8th 2014 (should be 2015), so I will see what happens on Feb 9th and let you know the outcome.
Just to give you feedback from my side, I have now received a response from the GGL team apologising for the delay in responding and stating "..looking at your son's account, he will receive a new card for the year April 2014 until April 2015".

So it sounds as if the membership year should roll forward on 9 March (his membership year end) with the Gold status. We'll have to wait and see if that happens automatically on 9 March or not.

What's not clear to me, is whether this extension of his Gold status (to give the benefit of the minimum 12 months status) will mean I have used up my Gold referral for my next membership year, or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.