FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Heathrow cleared for take-off? Third (and even FOURTH) runway plans (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1531175-heathrow-cleared-take-off-third-even-fourth-runway-plans.html)

Cradders Dec 17, 2013 3:46 am

Originally Posted by oscietra (Post 21979558)
Spot on.

There's a notable bias that it appears those nearing the end of their careers prefer the sticking plaster of Heathrow, whereas those of us with a chance of actually using the airport in 50 years time are getting ignored, or not making their voice felt.

Time for a bold, youthful strategy for the long term, and that doesn't include a sticking plaster for Heathrow.

:confused: I'm in my early(ish) thirties and I support the Heathrow idea over the new airport idea (and would just about be able to fly in 50 years if the nurses let me! ;) ). I'm confused as to where any age bias has been suggested in this thread or the report.

oscietra Dec 17, 2013 3:57 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 21979605)
Must admit after having another look I am being persuaded by your argument. Perhaps Isle of Grain is much better as a long term solution, with 4 runways to start with. Yes there are problems (airpsace, moving staff etc.) but there would be 20 years to sort that out whilst it is being constructed.

Heathrow sort of makes sense in the short term, but any expansion will be costly, complex, disruptive and less efficient due to the curfew and has significant long term noise/pollution/crash risks for London and to a lesser extent Berkshire.

Add into that the cost of living near Heathrow making living/working nearby challenging and the need for more attention to the additional infrastructure needs of doubling passenger number through LHR, and even the short term option becomes less compelling, particularly if there is a finite limit on expansion on the site which could lead to it being closed anyway in the longer term.

Isle of Grain/Thames Hub is a 20-50 year vision; it's bold, difficult and game-changing. But it's certainly worth serious consideration, and a level playing field with the incumbent, well-funded, highly motivated Heathrow lobby groups.

GregWTravels Dec 17, 2013 4:04 am

The report also mentions a series of short-term measures to increase capacity until a new runway is built. Included among these are a southern rail link for Heathrow. Looks like Airtrack is back...

Heathrow
Recognising the importance of encouraging modal shift towards more environmentally sustainable forms of transport at Heathrow, not only for supporting future expansion plans but also for optimising the airport’s operations within its current capacity constraints, the Government should work with Network Rail to undertake a detailed study to find the best option for enhancing rail access into Heathrow from the south. Initial indications are that up to roughly 15% of Heathrow’s passengers in the London and South East region could benefit from improved Southern Access.

Camflyer Dec 17, 2013 4:16 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc (Post 21979488)
- close LHR.

What would be the economic impact of closing (or even a major downgrading) of LHR on the Thames Valley and M4 corridor? The likes of Microsoft aren't in Reading because it is a nice place but because they are a next door to an airport from which they can get non-stop flights to Seattle and major cities around the world.

love_flying_hate_strikes Dec 17, 2013 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Mart81 (Post 21969685)
Btw I strongly disapprove of a "Boris island" scenario, in the first place because of the damage done to the Thames Estuary and its flora and fauna

There is NOTHING special about the Thames Estuary, NOBODY visits it. It's an ugly part of the world and the birds and animals there will have to find new homes. Well oh dear - I'm sure we can all get over that and the world will survive.

Great Mother Gaia will have to take a back seat on this one. Apologies to all the back-to-the-landers out there.

You can't have it all. On this occasion the "environment" and its Green acolytes are of secondary importance.

1010101 Dec 17, 2013 4:18 am

Originally Posted by oscietra (Post 21979558)
Spot on.

There's a notable bias that it appears those nearing the end of their careers prefer the sticking plaster of Heathrow, whereas those of us with a chance of actually using the airport in 50 years time are getting ignored, or not making their voice felt.

Time for a bold, youthful strategy for the long term, and that doesn't include a sticking plaster for Heathrow.

Im still in my 20s and I can see that the Thames Estuary airport is a stupid idea.

Heathrow needs a new runway built within 10 years, and the government needs to do what it can to force that through.

Running parallel to that, someone needs to choose a long term plan. Expand LHR properly, ignoring the nimbys, or choose another venue somewhere a bit more practical than the River Thames and build an enormous hub airport there.

Cradders Dec 17, 2013 4:26 am

Originally Posted by love_flying_hate_strikes (Post 21979698)
There is NOTHING special about the Thames Estuary, NOBODY visits it.

Having had the unfortunate "pleasure" of living in Chatham for a while, I'd have to agree with that, but can I request including the Medway towns in that classification, too please?! :D

(Ducks for cover)

JimEddie Dec 17, 2013 4:27 am

Originally Posted by phol (Post 21979701)
Running parallel to that, someone needs to choose a long term plan. Expand LHR properly, ignoring the nimbys, or choose another venue somewhere a bit more practical than the River Thames and build an enormous hub airport there.

^

Agree totally, just get on with it. And as for the NIMBYs, I'd love to know what % of them bought their properties in the last 20 years?

origin Dec 17, 2013 5:38 am

I am a little surprised that on the eve of the Pam Am flight anniversary people want more planes over London and the south East.

On, I believe, Bloomberg this morning, one question was raised how to get people to the airport using public transport more easily. The new airport in the Thames will be able to incorporate this easily. With the new modern trains, that most of the UK hasn't got, we will be able to develop the routes easily.

This isn't a report for now, now was 10 years ago. This is a report for 2050 and beyond. It appears many people in society cant see how the UK will develop over that period. Thinking big is the only option to stop the UK increasing becoming a joke.

DYKWIA Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am

Originally Posted by origin (Post 21979928)
I am a little surprised that on the eve of the Pam Am flight anniversary people want more planes over London and the south East.

:confused:

You don't half talk rubbish :)

KARFA Dec 17, 2013 6:05 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 21980026)
:confused:

You don't half talk rubbish :)

+1.

Jenbel Dec 17, 2013 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Polomarc (Post 21979512)
Plenty of discussion on LBC this morning, Mayor of London states that "Sir Howard's figures on cost of estuary airport are "wrong"

Yeah, they'll probably end up being an underestimate :D

Of course, very few are able to count the cost from the inevitable incidents and crashes due to birds, and what happens when the airport gets a reputation for being unsafe.

highpeaklad Dec 17, 2013 6:19 am

Heathrow cleared for take-off? Third (and even FOURTH) runway plans

I think the new Thames estuary airport is the best idea, but I can't see how it would work. The main problem is the workforce. How are you going to get 50000 people to work there when it's in the middle if nowhere. All other examples if replacement airports eg. Munich were not so far away so could close one day and open the next. That just can't happen with Heathrow.

sl1ppy Dec 17, 2013 6:24 am

Originally Posted by origin (Post 21979928)

This isn't a report for now, now was 10 years ago. This is a report for 2050 and beyond. It appears many people in society cant see how the UK will develop over that period. Thinking big is the only option to stop the UK increasing becoming a joke.

I thought this was the rubbish part ..... ;)

Expansion is need now, which means LHR or LGW. These are also the only two which can/would be able to provide decent access for the rest of the country.

V10 Dec 17, 2013 6:29 am

It's very easy to adopt a London-centric viewpoint on this issue - an airport stuck out in the Thames estuary can still be reached easily via public transport and it may lessen the amount of overhead air traffic and therefore noise, at least for flights arriving from the East. All well and good.

For those of us out to the west, it will be as much use as a chocolate teapot. Or Stansted.