Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Family and Friends - spending Avios outside of your Household Account (HHA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family and Friends - spending Avios outside of your Household Account (HHA)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by nickyjames
As per johnaalex's comment, any thoughts on how this will operate re 2-4-1 vouchers?
For U.S.-based 2-4-1 vouchers, the Terms & Conditions already allow you to take any companion you want -- they don't have to be in your HHA. But not all of the CSR's are aware of that.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by TomK81
So my wife and I have a HH account, my dad who lives at another address has zero interest in air miles, so we couldn't add him and when we want to make a redemption use his avios as well as ours?
yes many people do that, but I think it proportionally reduces each balance you would have to think through the scenarios, but for sure if you add him, his airmiles go to the HHA
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by TomK81
So my wife and I have a HH account, my dad who lives at another address has zero interest in air miles, so we couldn't add him and when we want to make a redemption use his avios as well as ours?
Originally Posted by drspear
yes many people do that, but I think it proportionally reduces each balance you would have to think through the scenarios, but for sure if you add him, his airmiles go to the HHA
drspear, I don't think that was what TomK81 was getting at.

Historically, the main disadvantage of a HHA is that you couldnt redeem for someone outside of the HHA. If people wanted to redeem for others outside the HHA, or use their avios, then they would often 'abuse' the rules by moving said friend's BAEC address to their address, and add them to the HHA, despite the friend not actually living their. Then later remove them from the HHA.

What these new rules allow, is for persons inside a HHA to redeem for selected persons outside the HHA, who reside at different addresses. What the rules do not suggest is that said friend will join your HHA, and hence you will not in any way have access to share their avios. Its simply a slackening of the HHA redeeming rules.

So, TomK81, the only way you could share in your dad's avios is if you move his BAEC address to your address and add him to your HHA. Its against the rules, but everyone has their own moral code.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
For U.S.-based 2-4-1 vouchers, the Terms & Conditions already allow you to take any companion you want -- they don't have to be in your HHA. But not all of the CSR's are aware of that.
Thanks, but ideally what I want to do is use someone else's 2-4-1 and my avios!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by nickyjames
Thanks, but ideally what I want to do is use someone else's 2-4-1 and my avios!
The your only option is to form a Household Account with that special someone, and have them book the award ticket with their companion voucher.

Are you single? Are they?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The your only option is to form a Household Account with that special someone, and have them book the award ticket with their companion voucher.

Are you single? Are they?
Or I could adopt him / her!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly
Or I could adopt him / her!
I have room in my HHA for one more (full length photo required)
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
this feature allows you to SPEND your pooled HHA avios on selected persons outside the HHA. Its not an extra flexi-pooling of other peoples avios.
That's right, but it would be nice to be able to add say parents living at a separate address to the HHA. I might even be able to convince them to fly BA if this were the case...
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards, BA Executive Club
Household account names have disappeared

I've been looking for rewards flights for the three of us in the household account. Up until yesterday there was a permanent feature which had all household account members listed so you could just check the boxes against their names and move on.

This feature has disappeared. Am I now doing something wrong? Need to do something differently? Has the email I received below fouled things up in that I need to re-enter my household account members details into the family and friends list?

Appreciate any help.

Dear Mr CityRules

We're delighted to bring you a great benefit of being an Executive Club Member.

We've enhanced our Household Account offering, so you can now spend your household Avios on up to five family and friends that do not live at the same address as you. Simply add them using your new Family and Friends list.

As with your Household Account, you can book reward flights for them with Avios. And since the details of your chosen five will be saved and filled in, you'll be able to make the bookings quickly and simply.

Log in at ba.com and you'll find 'My Family and Friends' as an additional option under 'Manage my account'.

Create my Family and Friends list

So if you already have people in mind that you'd like to add, you can create your Family and Friends list now.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
When you click through to the end of the booking, you choose the passengers then - the ones in your HHA and Friends and Family list appear there as selectable passengers
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I got an email yesterday talking about this, didnt even know I had an account with BA,
its a nice jesture from BA
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:19 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

Hi all

Here is the answers to some of your questions:

Q- Am I right in thinking any additional family/friends will have to be part of the HHA and "transfer" their Avios to the head account holder?

A - The Family and Friends list enables you as a Member who is part of a Household Account to redeem Avios for up to five family and/or friends who do not live at the same address.

Once you have added individuals onto your Family and Friends list you will automatically be able to select them as passengers when you are making a booking on ba.com using your Avios. Avios balances cannot be 'pooled' between Household Account Members and anyone who is on the HHA Family and Friends list , therefore you cannot transfer Family and Friends Avios balances to the head of the Household Account.

Only members who live at the same address as you can be part of your Household Account and can pool their Avios with the other Members of the Household Account.

Q- will this also apply on 241 redemptions?

A - Yes, the Terms and Conditions of the Companion Voucher still apply which means the person who earned the voucher must travel, however you can now include Household Account members and/or Family and Friends who have been added to your Family and Friends list to the booking.

Q - Can I ask for some advice on how F&F might work ?

A and B are in a HHA but need some extra Avios to make a booking. C has more than enough and is willing to share. The simple way would be to do an Avios Transfer (am I right ??).

1 - Does the introduction of F&F enable this transfer to happen without a transfer cost - if so how ?

2 - If the Avios do manage to get into the HHA how is the booking apportioned ?

A - 1) You cannot transfer Avios free of charge to individuals who are on your Family and Friends list. You can of course transfer Avios to any Executive Club Member including those on your Family and Friends list, using the existing transfer Avios functionality on ba.com. You can find out more about this at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...&link=main_nav.
2) Avios balances for those added to your Family and Friends list are not shared with the HHA. You can only share Avios balances with those who are in your HHA. If any member of the HHA makes a booking using Avios for someone who is on the HHA Family and Friends list, then the Avios will be deducted from each individual HHA Member in proportion to their balance.

Q - So my wife and I have a HH account, my dad who lives at another address has zero interest in air miles, so we couldn't add him and when we want to make a redemption use his avios as well as ours?

A - Avios cannot not be pooled with anyone who is added to your Family and Friends list, you can only share Avios in this way with individuals who live at the same address as you and are part of your Household Account.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Nice heads up, that will have had me getting confused a few months down the line (i booked a couple of days ago from my HHA and selected at the initial page...). ^
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
"Q- will this also apply on 241 redemptions?

A - Yes, the Terms and Conditions of the Companion Voucher still apply which means the person who earned the voucher must travel, however you can now include Household Account members and/or Family and Friends who have been added to your Family and Friends list to the booking. "

Thank you Nicci :-:
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:21 am

Thanks Nicci!

I am still unclear on the 2-4-1 issue though. I understand that if I use my 2-4-1 on my HHA, any of my friends and family can be the companion...

BUT

on my HHA, if one of my new friends and family has a 2-4-1, can we use their voucher under my HHA. Essentially their 2-4-1 but "my" avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.