Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposing onboard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Poxball
Not being contrarian just for the sake of it but my wife would have slapped me silly if I proposed on a narrow body, de fact economy seat on a short haul flight celebrating with 175 ml twist cap bottles of champagne. There are far nicer places in Stockholm to propose.

Just my tuppence worth....
+1

I didnt want to say it as he has the best intentions and a proposal on an aircraft may mean something different to this pair. But there really must be more suitable, romantic and beautiful places to do so over the weekend in Sweden.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Now that we are on BA
I wish to take your heart away
I have upgraded to CE
To ask you now to marry me

Sorry PETER01 but this is unfortunately not a proposal from me to you but an alternative poem for the OP.
Phew! I was a bit worried there

Good luck to the OP and seems some posters are missing the point. It's what he wants and he asked advice, not what others would do.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Friend of mine asked the crew if he could use the PA system to propose to his now wife... also an option?

Granted - this was a long haul flight, so plenty of time in between trolley services.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Not being contrarian just for the sake of it but my wife would have slapped me silly if I proposed on a narrow body, de fact economy seat on a short haul flight celebrating with 175 ml twist cap bottles of champagne. There are far nicer places in Stockholm to propose.

+2 on this one, however GOOD LUCK and congratz!!

I would rather find a nice romantic restaurant in Stockholm to propose~~
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PETER01
It's what he wants and he asked advice, not what others would do.
Yes indeed......good luck to citiflyerUK and do report back on how it went.

IIRC we decided on marriage during a conversation we had in the back of a clapped out Buenos Aires taxi.....or was that another woman.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Saw it once on one of the Concorde retirement flights; the whole plane cheered
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Phew! I was a bit worried there

Good luck to the OP and seems some posters are missing the point. It's what he wants and he asked advice, not what others would do.
You'll note my emphasis was on what the reaction would be - not what he wants. If she's up for that good luck to both of them but statistically he'll have 40+ years to be reminded if he got it right or not.

I can think if a few places in Stockholm that will last the 40 year test and row 3 of a 32 inch pitch public transport vehicle wouldn't be high up there. But as I said just my view (and mrs Pox's)
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:08 am

I also tend to agree. A plane, especially short-haul, is still a rather small tube crammed with people. As much as I enjoy flying F/J, even I don't think the best F cabins are particularly romantic, let alone BA's CE cabin.

However, some women might think a plane is a romantic place. I just hope you consider whether this is something that she would like.

Also, make sure you take precautions with the ring (if you have one) during security. Just make sure there is no way security will have to examine it in her presence.

Good luck.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 am

You'll note my emphasis was on what the reaction would be - not what he wants. If she's up for that good luck to both of them but statistically he'll have 40+ years to be reminded if he got it right or not.

I can think if a few places in Stockholm that will last the 40 year test and row 3 of a 32 inch pitch public transport vehicle wouldn't be high up there. But as I said just my view (and mrs Pox's)
Maybe he will post back and tell us how it went? Only one way to find out if it all went well and he made the right decision.

My money is on she will be delighted
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:13 am

But realistically he'd need to post back in a few years after they've had a blazing row where the truth comes out .

The chances are that they sound like a good couple and regardless she'll carry it off but I'd worry about the row in a few years' time where the sentence begins : "and another thing..."
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:18 am

But realistically he'd need to post back in a few years after they've had a blazing row where the truth comes out .

The chances are that they sound like a good couple and regardless she'll carry it off but I'd worry about the row in a few years' time where the sentence begins : "and another thing..."
@ my bolding. How true!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom

Now that we are on BA
I wish to take your heart away
I have upgraded to CE
To ask you now to marry me
Nah, like PETER01s it's still a bit corny.

Don't beat about the bush - recite the following:

The only reason I propose
Is to get my hands on your Avios
If you can get me an MFU
Then my dear, forever, I love you.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
You could always grab Billy Idol and sing it to her on the plane like the Wedding Singer

Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Nah, like PETER01s it's still a bit corny.

Don't beat about the bush - recite the following:

The only reason I propose
Is to get my hands on your Avios
If you can get me an MFU
Then my dear, forever, I love you.
Yes mine was a bit cheesy looking back.

Hows about this one?

Marry me, marry me, you know this is right
We can then create a household account for a flight
I can then do more and more trips on my own
Using your miles which will have grown and grown
If you say YES I'll be ever so happy
As I fly round the world a very happy chappy
If you say NO then that's the end of us
and you can get on with your life, BYE I am off for the Bus!

Any better?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I would recommend writing a note and giving it to the gate agent, stating that you would like to propose on this flight and state what you would like them to do. Have the gate agent give it to the crew as they board. make sure your name and seat number is on there. You can easily go up to the GA and pass the note just tell your girlfriend you need to check on your seats. I think to get up during the flight to arrange things would be a dead giveaway if she is expecting something on this trip.

I am getting engaged on 12/23 (yes it is a surprise, but I found out by mistake) and I am sure your girlfriend will be thrilled with any type of engagement, no matter where it happens, it is the moment. I also believe every girl wants a good story to tell, so it is right to make it special.

Congrats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.