Search

GGL redemption ("joker") availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:57 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
it's a truly wonderful benefit most of the time
It is wonderful benefit ALL of the time, just not always for the person seeking it!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
This happens a fair bit at peak season to holiday destinations. Both BKK and SIN were booked for days around Christmas and NY so I had to settle for HKG. Even worse, Club on the return as the flight was F2A0.

Booking at least 6 months out seems to get you ahead of the GGL pack. Or book less popular destinations.
You would have been slumming it in Club to BKK too,now it is a 3 class B777.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I have heard various flavours of the 5 seats. Some GGL staff have said this is 5 seats per cabin which can be jokered. Obviously this isnt too helpful on 3 class aircraft.

Has the OP thought about flying to another destination and connecting? It can get you to a better location in CO such as ASE or EGE both of which are way more convenient for the main ski areas than DEN. You can connect to EGE for instance via ORD.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:49 am

There's also Gunnison (GUC) and Montrose (MTJ), both of which also have direct services from DFW on AA. They're useful for Crested Butte and Telluride. Plus, there are also a bunch of other regional airports, but those are some of the most popular ones.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
I believe the increased tier points that were introduced when Euro cheats were abolished have caused quite a lot of BAEC members to reach GGL through the two year rule. These days everybody seems to be getting GGL. It is a disgrace...
That's somewhat of an exaggeration is it not? (my bolding).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
That's somewhat of an exaggeration is it not? (my bolding).
A little over 2 years ago the tier point earnings were increased by what? On average 20%? That means that the "old 3,000 tier points in 2 consecutive years" was brought down to about 2,500 "old" tier points.

Assuming a somewhat normal distribution that means an awful lot more GGLs after those initial two years in the new system are over. Which seems to fit with the increased number of "new GGL" threads on this forum, and also with the observation that GGL jokers get harder to use.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:12 am

A little over 2 years ago the tier point earnings were increased by what? On average 20%? That means that the "old 3,000 tier points in 2 consecutive years" was brought down to about 2,500 "old" tier points.

Assuming a somewhat normal distribution that means an awful lot more GGLs after those initial two years in the new system are over. Which seems to fit with the increased number of "new GGL" threads on this forum, and also with the observation that GGL jokers get harder to use.
That's a fair summary but quite at odds with your earlier 'these days everybody seems to be getting GGL' comment.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire

This would all be good if it was true. I am under the impression that for GGls eurocheating is still possible. For them it's actually 2,500 TPs per year for two years, ie, around 2,000 old fashioned TPs.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:04 am

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 7.8 MM EXP, QF P1, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium(Life), Hilton DIA, IHG RA, HZ PLAT
Question Pray Tell -- What is a Joker?

I feel like I'm standing outside the "in crowd" listening with envy about "Joker" seats being made available to you well deserving GGL folk...

Would someone toss me a bone - and help me understand (or point me, in a proper BA Forum way (not the snarky AA Forum way.. :-) to a URL I can read at my leisure?)

// stepping back into the shadows (and early warm summer days of Perth) - where we will top 42 degrees early next week... (that's "C" for anyone who thinks I may be talking in "F").
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ExecPlatinum_Lord

Would someone toss me a bone - and help me understand (or point me, in a proper BA Forum way (not the snarky AA Forum way.. :-) to a URL I can read at my leisure?)
Here's your bone

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-list-benefits

It asks me to log in when I follow the link so I am not sure whether you need to be GGL to be able to read it or not...
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ExecPlatinum_Lord
I feel like I'm standing outside the "in crowd" listening with envy about "Joker" seats being made available to you well deserving GGL folk...

// stepping back into the shadows (and early warm summer days of Perth) - where we will top 42 degrees early next week... (that's "C" for anyone who thinks I may be talking in "F").
A short description of the Joker that is provided to GGL is provided here (scroll down to GGL):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18866006-post3.html
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
I have also had problems getting "joker" seats recently too. I think this is linked to the fact that there are more "jokers" out there with the recent alignment with the membership year and the additional "jokers" that were awarded to facilitate this. From a personal perspective I will struggle to use the "jokers" sitting in my account.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Quick question... can I combine the GGL joker and a GUF2? (For two people, obviously)

Can I also add a 2-4-1 into the mix?

Never tried this potent (and possibly explosive!) combination but time is running out and I have one joker, two 2-4-1s and two GUF2s sitting on my account... and no time to actually use them - but determined to try.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by HighLife
Quick question... can I combine the GGL joker and a GUF2? (For two people, obviously)

Never tried this potent (and possibly explosive!) combination but time is running out and I have one joker, two 2-4-1s and two GUF2s sitting on my account... and no time to actually use them - but determined to try.
This is of interest to me too. I have 2 more GUF2s with a third to be added shortly and will be GGL in January and a couple of 2-4-1s on Chase. I'd like to expand HighLife's question and ask the following. If it is possible to combine a GUF2 and Joker - which I'm pretty sure it is - what fare class availability is needed if you want to book and pay for WT+ and then use a GUF2 to upgrade to J and a Joker to upgrade to F all through a travel agent in order to use the GUF2 from revenue space?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HighLife

Yes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.