Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Golds using the Galleries Club Lounges - Is it common?

Old Dec 9, 13, 4:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci

I have noticed several times that when I have been in T5A GC South there have been a few folks here and there with Gold luggage tags within, no more than say 5-6. The same with GC North on a few occasions.

1) I was just curious if some GCH's use the GC lounges for a change now and again?

2) Or is it more convenience depending where your flight is leaving from?

3) Maybe they were GCH's previously but just can't bear to let go and change their Gold Car tag?

4) Any other reasons?

Humorous replies always welcome

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Dec 9, 13 at 4:11 pm
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

If flying domestically ( gates usually A1-A7) then Galleries Club north is closer than Galleries first

If flying from T5B then there is of course only Galleries Club in 5B.

I tend to use GF and get something to eat before the domestic leg.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
I have when travelling with other colleagues who are not gold but travelling in J.
Haven't been there for a while as FL is getting busy and can only imagine GL is busier.
I have at times used the B gates lounge for convenience when I know the flight is out of B but generally the gate isn't announced until I am safely in the FL and can't be bothered to move then
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

When flying up to MAN, I used to head to the North lounge an hour or so before boarding was due. You can normally see when boarding actually commences from the lounge.

Not that it affects me anymore

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Sometimes. I normally come in from GVA (which is nearly always delayed) and am left with sometimes less than 30 mins to make the ABZ connection. In that case, I'll nip to GC North and grab a pack of crisps for the ride up north.

If I've got a longer connection (or no connection) then I'll always use the Flounge.
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Possible reasons
1) Lounge hopping
2) Travelling with a group of Silver cardholders
3) Domestic flight so staying close to the gates
4) Arriving so early at T5 that the North lounges are not opened yet.
5) Such a frequent flyer, the Galleries lounges makes for a nice change of scene.
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

If flying domestically ( gates usually A1-A7) then Galleries Club north is closer than Galleries first

Regards

TBS
That's what I was thinking TBS. Even if I was a GCH I don't think I could be bothered to walk all the way from the GF Lounge back to where the EDI flights usually depart from as you have stated.
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Coco Di Mama Premier
Guilty as charged!

There's plenty of reasons that spring to mind for a GCH to use GC at T5:
- Running up an extra escalator burns a few additional calories
- Just so you can admire the A380 model outside
- To visit my status less boss! (Could I really tell him that I fly BA, even when not good value, just to get some shiny cards and a few perks?!)

How's that for starters?

All in jest.
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

A myriad of reasons then I see.

Out of a curiosity point of view I would be interested to know what % of GCH's use the GC (T5A) lounges regularly.

DYKWIA - Wouldn't an Amex Platinum Card be of benefit to you then?
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn View Post
Possible reasons
1) Lounge hopping
2) Travelling with a group of Silver cardholders
3) Domestic flight so staying close to the gates
4) Arriving so early at T5 that the North lounges are not opened yet.
5) Such a frequent flyer, the Galleries lounges makes for a nice change of scene.
I suppose a change of scenery is always welcome and better views for the TO's from 9R in GC South. YMMV.

I am new to Silver so you are saying GC South opens before GC North? I didn't know that, thanks.
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I suppose a change of scenery is always welcome and better views for the TO's from 9R in GC South. YMMV.

I am new to Silver so you are saying GC South opens before GC North? I didn't know that, thanks.
Hi,

I thought all the lounges opened at the same time now.

When T5 first opened I think one of the lounge opened half an hour earlier than the other.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:39 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, BA Gold
Im a pretty useless candidate for including in the sample size since i rarely go through LHR, but i avoid the north GC when at LHR. I can never get a seat in there being so busy and people taking up a lot of space to themselves with bags, papers etc either early morning if coming in from MIA, or mid-day if on the direct from gcm/nas. At least in the Flounge i can usually find space over in the champagne bar in the morning/early afternoon to help blow away the cobwebs and munch through a plate of sausages. Worth the walk for me even if going to EDI/GLA north gates (although last couple of times they have gone from south gates for me). I'd rather just go to one of the pubs if north GC was the only option. Nice enough, just too busy.
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:40 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 12:56 am
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver

What about all the gold card holders that are incognito PETER01? I for one swap my tags to poo coloured ones before going into any Club lounges

I've gone in a few times when travelling with more than one person and therefore not able to guest them all into the Flounge.

Besides, it's always good to see how the lower folk get on, I like to think of it as charity work, spreading a smile and a wave here and there before returning to civilisation

I'm surprised you could spot such things actually as you are usually being pampered in the CCR!
Old Dec 9, 13, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster auto-topup.
I know this is odd: but I like the slightly more "busier" feel, a buzz if you will, of GC. And I think the eye candy can be much better, and lets face it people watching is a part of lounge going, isn't it? Granted, if I found GC too busy then I probably would retreat to FL.

But then there's always something deep inside me that is saying I'm not really a FL kind of guy. If that translated to cabins, I think my spiritual home on board is somewhere in between WTP and CW. And no, I don't mean a loo.

Search this Thread