Wiki Posts
Search

BA vs. Iberia in shorthaul J?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
BA vs. Iberia in shorthaul J?

Which airline has the best businessclass LHR-MAD? Does IB use long haul aircraft on any of the LHR rotations?
And who has the best catering on this relatively short flight?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I'd say IB - especially the almost daily longhaul rotation (around 4pm from MAD, 10pm arrival back in MAD).
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
In my opinion -- and I fly this route A LOT -- BA have the better business class at the moment, especially on their 767s which have 2 flights each way daily. During their spring-summer-autumn schedule, IB did use a combination of their older A346 and quite new A330 to have more capacity. However, during winter, they are resorting to A319-320-321s.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by techie
In my opinion -- and I fly this route A LOT -- BA have the better business class at the moment, especially on their 767s which have 2 flights each way daily. During their spring-summer-autumn schedule, IB did use a combination of their older A346 and quite new A330 to have more capacity. However, during winter, they are resorting to A319-320-321s.
I hate CE on the 767 so would go with anything which avoided them.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
IB shorthaul have the slidey recaro slimline seats on all planes, you either love or hate these. BA have a few birds with these, but the old converters are more prevalent.

The last time I did IB shorthaul, the food was miles better than BA, but the service was surly and miserable.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I hate CE on the 767 so would go with anything which avoided them.
Granted, J on IB in their A346/330 is much better, but none are flying the LHR<>MAD route during winter (unless they need to bump up capacity due to a cancellation). As such, I was addressing OP's question in the "here and now" context. Besides, there is no guarantee that those long-haul birds will return in the spring (though I hope they do).
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:31 am

Theyre still using widebodies on some flights IB3167 was A330 last Sunday and Tuesday this week, and an A343 on Monday. This Friday is scheduled to be an A340 too.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by saintby
Theyre still using widebodies on some flights IB3167 was A330 last Sunday and Tuesday this week, and an A343 on Monday. This Friday is scheduled to be an A340 too.
Oh yes, you are right. It seems that they sprinkling them here and there. From my perspective, BA service is better, but IB has superior food. It just depends which one OP values more.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:23 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Oh yes, you are right. It seems that they sprinkling them here and there. From my perspective, BA service is better, but IB has superior food. It just depends which one OP values more.
I've always had great service with IB. I really don't understand all the negative press. Sometimes there's a curt crewmember, but nothing worse than any other airline. I think it may just seem that way when not speaking Spanish because they are just uncomfortable in English.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
On such a short flight food and drink is more important than "service" to me. As long as they bring me my champagne (or cava?) I'm good.
Maybe I'll do BA one way and IB one way to compare.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I've always had great service with IB. I really don't understand all the negative press. Sometimes there's a curt crewmember, but nothing worse than any other airline. I think it may just seem that way when not speaking Spanish because they are just uncomfortable in English.
I am the other way around: BA has always been superior for me. Having flown a lot of both carriers on this route, I do notice the Brits tend to prefer BA and Spaniards are more likely to stick with IB. Neither of those come as a surprise.

IMO, BA have a better all-around package: better pilots, better take off and landing experience, better crew, better check-in process and they handle unexpected obstacles in an more pleasant way.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC
IMO, BA have a better all-around package: better pilots, better take off and landing experience

Went to MAD in the summer - to MAD on IB, return to LHR on BA. Food was leaps and bounds ahead on IB. Afternoon tea on BA is truly awful, thankfully the IB lounge filled me up with a good amount of Spanish omelet in advance of the flight.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by limabean767
Went to MAD in the summer - to MAD on IB, return to LHR on BA. Food was leaps and bounds ahead on IB. Afternoon tea on BA is truly awful, thankfully the IB lounge filled me up with a good amount of Spanish omelet in advance of the flight.
To each their own. I am not so keen on Spanish cuisine -- can't beat a bit of jamon iberico though -- so you could have enjoyed IB food more than me.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by gordon0808
Maybe I'll do BA one way and IB one way to compare.
If you do that make sure you fly IB LHR-MAD and BA MAD-LHR so you can experience the T4S lounge in MAD rather than the European T4 lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by opalfruit
The last time I did IB shorthaul, the food was miles better than BA, but the service was surly and miserable.
That's been my experience as well. I'd probably choose IB over BA but there's very little between them for such a short flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.