Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I am so done with BA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
There is only one thing I don't understand in post #49 and that is the comment about a 220v only power supply in the seat, that won't take a US plug.

When I've used NF, it was a been a 110v system that accepts many plugs, e.g. US 2/3 pin, Europlug etc, but not a UK plug.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was beginning to give the OP the benefit of doubt on this one until his comment in another thread made me think that it'd be best if he really does avoid flying with BA in the future......unless another fare glitch comes along that is.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
There is only one thing I don't understand in post #49 and that is the comment about a 220v only power supply in the seat, that won't take a US plug.

When I've used NF, it was a been a 110v system that accepts many plugs, e.g. US 2/3 pin, Europlug etc, but not a UK plug.
My MacBook (admittedly the Air one) with an US plug works fine in the BA 747 NF socket.

I'm 99% sure the socket also takes the UK though.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 7, 2013 at 11:24 am
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
My two Lenovos (X220 and X230) work fine, too. But I do see a red light on the plug socket, maybe that was the problem?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'm 99% sure the socket also takes the UK though.
It does take both sockets, and indeed it is 110v upto 125 watts. The red light comes on if overcharging. Note that just because it says 125w on the adapter, the actual draw can be a lot higher depending on the circumstances, as high as 150w. The 747 NF socket is identical to the 787 and 380 sockets. There are 5 separate holes in the socket, including one extended on, which allows UK, European and US socket, with the exception of very heavy European adapters. The other mystery was the CCR power issue, complete with photo. I counted 24 power sockets for passenger use in CCR yesterday, only 2 were in use. 8 sockets were US sockets. And that excludes the board room and cabanas. Incidentally the clue for finding the power sockets is to look for a lamp, there is usually a socket nearby.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
SFO777 experience of BA matches my own in many ways.

As a near 30 year veteran of BA I have seen it at its best and its worst and today it is very close to its pre privatisation worst

The F product is J+ and if you understand this before travel (and certainly prior to booking,) your expectations will be lowered and in turn you are less likely to be disappointed. It is never worth the published fares and only filled with corporate deals, redemptions, cheap up grades and staff. BA gave up any pretence of it being a premier product when it moved to T5.
Frankly AA's new J is on a par with BA F whilst CX J simply leaves BA First looking very sad indeed.

BA are almost incapable of handling any sort of delay with professionalism never mind aplomb.My exception to this rule was SFO during the volcano shut down but even then the choice of accommodation for First passengers was poor.

The lack on menus is very minor, but it sums up beautifully BA's attitude to premium customers. The hotel on arrival for 2 First class passengers was similarly very telling. As for the wine sitting as it was, what more do you need to know about the lack of training and perhaps more importantly the lack of care or interest from the crew. What moron working in hospitality does not know to put Champagne or white wine in an ice bucket, preferably with some ice!

The crew telling him off for taking pictures is alas, not a surprise. When you are so poorly trained; so lacking in empathy or emotional intelligence; and there only because you are cheap to employ, is it a surprise.

SFO777 trips reports have always been balanced and informative. This one is no different and simply reveals, for some at least, an inconvenient truth.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Fiddlesticks. If the OP was loud and obnoxious (which we have no evidence for, and which is frankly rather offensive to suggest if you weren't there), then the correct procedure for the CSD would be to politely ask him to put a sock in it. If she thought he was loud, why on earth would she say: "The Captain is concerned that you may be taping announcements and taking pictures of cabin crew. The company frowns on this especially in the era of social media and The Captain has alerted security in Los Angeles"?

If the CSD was "simply annoyed for another reason" then she should do what any other professional in any other job has to do: Keep it to herself and get on with her job.
Lets break down your response here for a moment:

Fiddlesticks. If the OP was loud and obnoxious (which we have no evidence for, and which is frankly rather offensive to suggest if you weren't there),

So I am assuming either you have since spoken to cabin crew or other passengers who have confirmed the Op was not loud and obnoxious?

And why is it offensive to suggest this if I were not there? - Like I said, I was not. I can not comment on how the OP behaved. I don't know if other passengers were annoyed or not...I was just looking at this story from BOTH sides not just the Op's.

If she thought he was loud, why on earth would she say: "The Captain is concerned that you may be taping announcements and taking pictures of cabin crew. The company frowns on this especially in the era of social media and The Captain has alerted security in Los Angeles"?

I can't comment on why the FA said what he/she did. However, as I have pointed out before there could be a number of reasons

1 - Maybe other passengers complained and wanted someone to have a word with the Op - in which case MAYBE she just said the wrong words

2 - Maybe she was intimated by the Op and wanted to scare him in order to get him to stop what he was doing?? Maybe she didn't know how best to communicate this specific message to him? Maybe the FA is just dam right rude and simply does not know how to communicate with other people...

Point is, who knows. Without speaking to the FA, other passengers, getting two sides of the story no one will ever know....

but to suggest my suggestions were offence is basically ignorance on your part...there are two sides to every story...never forget that!!
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Short Final
Agreed.... at least one other person on this thread showing some common sense when interpreting the original rant. ^

(Same thumbs up to "Lite" too..)
Why thank you for the kind words!
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Incidentally the clue for finding the power sockets is to look for a lamp, there is usually a socket nearby.
^^^

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to state the obvious...
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:44 am
Suspended

It does take both sockets, and indeed it is 110v upto 125 watts. The red light comes on if overcharging. Note that just because it says 125w on the adapter, the actual draw can be a lot higher depending on the circumstances, as high as 150w. The 747 NF socket is identical to the 787 and 380 sockets. There are 5 separate holes in the socket, including one extended on, which allows UK, European and US socket, with the exception of very heavy European adapters. The other mystery was the CCR power issue, complete with photo. I counted 24 power sockets for passenger use in CCR yesterday, only 2 were in use. 8 sockets were US sockets. And that excludes the board room and cabanas. Incidentally the clue for finding the power sockets is to look for a lamp, there is usually a socket nearby.
There must be another typo/obsolete clip of info on ba.com, then

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_us

Having said that, I have a Europlug on my PCs, so didn't try a UK 3 pin.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
There must be another typo/obsolete clip of info on ba.com, then

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_us
A typo on BA.com? Goodness whatever next.

Young Prospero obtained the following link:

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/gl...ep13_181kb.pdf
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Lets break down your response here for a moment:

Fiddlesticks. If the OP was loud and obnoxious (which we have no evidence for, and which is frankly rather offensive to suggest if you weren't there),

So I am assuming either you have since spoken to cabin crew or other passengers who have confirmed the Op was not loud and obnoxious?

And why is it offensive to suggest this if I were not there? - Like I said, I was not. I can not comment on how the OP behaved. I don't know if other passengers were annoyed or not...I was just looking at this story from BOTH sides not just the Op's.

If she thought he was loud, why on earth would she say: "The Captain is concerned that you may be taping announcements and taking pictures of cabin crew. The company frowns on this especially in the era of social media and The Captain has alerted security in Los Angeles"?

I can't comment on why the FA said what he/she did. However, as I have pointed out before there could be a number of reasons

1 - Maybe other passengers complained and wanted someone to have a word with the Op - in which case MAYBE she just said the wrong words

2 - Maybe she was intimated by the Op and wanted to scare him in order to get him to stop what he was doing?? Maybe she didn't know how best to communicate this specific message to him? Maybe the FA is just dam right rude and simply does not know how to communicate with other people...

Point is, who knows. Without speaking to the FA, other passengers, getting two sides of the story no one will ever know....

but to suggest my suggestions were offence is basically ignorance on your part...there are two sides to every story...never forget that!!
Maybe the OP sang Cliff Richard hits out of tune throughout the flight... maybe he entertained his wife by performing the Funeral March from Saul with his sphincter... maybe the CSD meant to apologise for the warm wine but the Good Lord made her speak in tongues instead... maybe the CSD had a speak impediment that made her say "security" when she meant to say "special services"... OR MAYBE THE OP'S ACCOUNT IS AN ACCURATE ONE? We shall never know for certain, alas. But if the OP's account is an accurate one, it is worth noting that the CSD would not have featured in social media if she hadn't spoken to her in a way which, if quoted correctly, reflects very poorly on herself and her employer.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Young Prospero obtained the following link:

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/gl...ep13_181kb.pdf
Interesting...

Looks like a service manual appendix for crew/other staff reference.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Just realised that an A380 going tech and needing an aircraft change to a 747 would be a major catering headache. Normally when subbing an aircraft Gate Gourmet simply remove all the catering and equipment from the "tech" aircraft and reload it onto the new one.

However the A80 and 787 use new sized equipment and trolleys, which do not fit the 747, 777 or 767 aircraft. I would imagine a whole new catering load for the 747 would've had to be made up at the Gate Gourmet base and brought out to the new aircraft, with all the old catering being taken off and dumped.

Given some of the constraints the crew then had thrust upon them, lack of menus, warm liquor bars etc etc, they were always going to be playing catch up.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum.
I was on the same flight as the OP (although somewhere further down the back of the plane). As was suggested earlier, BA are pleading Extraordinary Circumstances and are not paying any EU compensation, at least not to me. Nor was I offered any other form of goodwill gesture. The apology they managed to me was, "We are sorry that the delay was necessary in this case."

It was not fun for any passengers on that flight, most of whom only got a GBP10 voucher and a 6 hour wait in T5C before piling onto a packed 747 when they were supposed to be enjoying what BA staff described several times as their, "brand new flagship service" on the 380. Passengers certainly weren't provided with details of their rights under the EU regulations, for example.

I was delayed by 3 hours on a similar flight on United once and in that case, upon arrival, I had an email waiting asking what form of goodwill gesture I'd like to accept (voucher, miles etc). That sort of proactive response might have been a welcome gesture to the disappointed customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.