Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Selecting redemption destinations on the edges of the pricing bands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selecting redemption destinations on the edges of the pricing bands

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:59 pm

Great work!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crimsona
Just wondering, why is Tokyo not on the list? JAL is a major one world partner and I assume sweet spots differ from there
If you give me a few weeks/months I'll get the planet covered. But for tonight and for you, Tokyo has been added
BTA, LupineChemist and James91 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Prospero, MAD-Paris is in zone 2 unfortunately.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
If you give me a few weeks/months I'll get the planet covered. But for tonight and for you, Tokyo has been added
Much appreciated! The LAX/SAN split is amusing given the driving distance between then
Prospero likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Prospero, MAD-Paris is in zone 2 unfortunately.
So it is. While geographically MAD-ORY = 640 mi and MAD-CDG = 661 mi, both are priced as Band 2 redemptions.

Note, MAD and TXL are geographically 1,153 mi apart but favourably priced as a Band 2 redemption.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:33 am
Original Poster

I've also added some interesting comparisons between flying direct from London to the US versus connecting via Madrid. See end of post 4
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
So it is. While geographically MAD-ORY = 640 mi and MAD-CDG = 661 mi, both are priced as Band 2 redemptions.

Note, MAD and TXL are geographically 1,153 mi apart but favourably priced as a Band 2 redemption.
Before MAD-CDG existed, MAD-ORY indeed used to be in zone 1!.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:41 am

Wow.. this post is Awesome!! Questions: 1- what other posts can you recommend to maxi

Wow.. this post is Awesome!! Questions: 1- Can you recomment any software or strategy so I can visually output maps, graphs or table from my desired airports (CNX, LWO, CCS, WAW... which are not in the examples btw)? 2- what other posts can you recommend to maximize the other 8 miles clubs that chase transfer to, which as logn as I am concerned are:

--Aer Lingus AerClub
--British Airways Executive Club
--Flying Blue AIR FRANCE KLM
--Iberia Plus
--JetBlue
--Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
--Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
--United Airlines MileagePlus
--Virgin Atlantic Flying Club

Many thanks
Old Jan 9, 2023, 12:08 pm

Edi-LCY-Ams is coming back as 21,000 Avios economy return - is that correct? Do out station passengers pay more Avios to connect at LHR/LGW/LCY than the same amount of miles redemption band it would if BA flew a direct GLA/EDI to AMS service?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by AIKE
Edi-LCY-Ams is coming back as 21,000 Avios economy return - is that correct? Do out station passengers pay more Avios to connect at LHR/LGW/LCY than the same amount of miles redemption band it would if BA flew a direct GLA/EDI to AMS service?
Avios redemptions are segment prices so yes, indeed it it more to connect. As you can see from the thread on spending avios, with the redemption chart. In this case as all segments are under 600 miles, it works to be 5250 avios per segment which corresponds to peak fare dates.

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition
Old Oct 7, 2023, 2:37 pm

Been using this thread for a number of years, absolutely gutted the maps from the wiki appear to have disappeared!
Old Oct 7, 2023, 9:46 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by StuMcGrew
Been using this thread for a number of years, absolutely gutted the maps from the wiki appear to have disappeared!
The pictures have dissapeared from lots of useful wikis.
My suspicion is that FT has deleted all pictures over about 2 years old to save space on its servers.
It would be nice if they could find a way to stop that happening on sticky threads and reference wikis.
Must also be galling for folks like Prospero who spend all the time and effort getting things together.
LupineChemist likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
The pictures have dissapeared from lots of useful wikis.
My suspicion is that FT has deleted all pictures over about 2 years old to save space on its servers.
I looked at the raw HTML of the posts, and it's not FT: the links to the photos are hosted on an external site and can no longer be found (return a 404 error code).

Prospero, did you let a web domain registration expire by chance?
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by st1575
I looked at the raw HTML of the posts, and it's not FT: the links to the photos are hosted on an external site and can no longer be found (return a 404 error code).

Prospero, did you let a web domain registration expire by chance?
Yes, sorry this one is entirely down to me. The host fees went through the roof last year so I decided not to renew. I still have all the images filed on my hard drive, and can upload them onto FT.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:05 pm

Yes, sorry this one is entirely down to me. The host fees went through the roof last year so I decided not to renew. I still have all the images filed on my hard drive, and can upload them onto FT.
Feel free to crowdsource a few £/$ from everyone who’s benefited over the years, I doubt you’ll struggle to cover them (or at least hope you wouldn’t!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.