Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Selecting redemption destinations on the edges of the pricing bands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selecting redemption destinations on the edges of the pricing bands

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Blue
First class work......thank you Prospero and Raffles^
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

JNB added

Originally Posted by andset1191
Great effort Prospero.Thanks.

Unfortunately, you've made Verona green when it should be red.

Interestingly, BA award 616 miles when you fly and collect Avios London Gatwick-Verona, suggesting that they think the route is 616 Avios long. Yet, when it comes to redeeming, it is zone 2 and 7,500 for a one way redemption.
That is an oddity. Unfortunately I picked up your observation just after making today's revisions. Will fix that over the weekend though

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I can imagine this growing to progressively include similar maps from the different OW hubs (KUL, SYD, DME, AMM, SLC, etc) and becoming a prime booking support tool for Avios redemptions!
What this space . KUL has been added.

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Great job! I have found these frustrating Avios issues a few times. There are fewer Avios required for ATL-ORD-LAX than ATL-DFW-LAX because of these bands that you have drawn.

We will soon need the new OW hubs of PHX, CLT, and PHL. DCA will be an active focus city. SEA for AS flights as well.
Huge potential. I'll keep an eye on these new hubs

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
I would be very interested in a KUL one - happy to put some effort into doing it just need some know-how
At your service Interesting results for ex KUL redemptions to Australia and New Zealand (amongst others)

Originally Posted by gothepats
In the HKG map, I don't think NKG should be a green dot while HGH is a red one. Maybe you mean WUH?
You know I tracked all three but there was only enough physical space to include two. I messed up in the final edit but thanks to your precise attention, it has now been fixed. BTW. Nanjing is my new favourite city so it had to be added

Originally Posted by timmillea
Great work! However, could I ask you to do a little more? One great taxes and fees saver is flying from Madrid with Iberia (and booked on the Iberia website) but Iberia and Madrid are missing from this otherwise excellent resource.
No longer

Originally Posted by philco
Stunning work!
By the way, I think that MEX (long-haul from UK) is an exception for some reason & falls into band 6 rather than 7 and so ought to be a green dot.
Good heavens! So it does. Duly corrected. Thank you.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Prospero
JNB added
Fantastic - thank you again!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dicoverist
This is fabulous! Great work.

I noticed that STL out of MIA shows red outside of Band 2 but comes up as a 7500 Avios redemption on BA.com.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This really is helpful, I am already piecing together a trip out of the most efficient/interesting routeings. Alas I probably won't have time to take it this year...

If we had SYD/MEL/BNE as well (cheeky hint! ), I think we would have the major OneWorld hubs. Well, I suppose AY deserves a mention as well.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:19 am

Using this idea is there a table of set distances for tier point earning that maps could then be made for working out route to maximise TP for your journey
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FromTheRail
Using this idea is there a table of set distances for tier point earning that maps could then be made for working out route to maximise TP for your journey
The table for TP earning is different, and simpler. You can find it in this post (in the section "06 Earning Tier Points").
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FromTheRail
Except that (generally) the price varies by route independently of the earning band, making this a less trivial problem than can be realized on a map. Hence we need to consider the Tier Points earned per Ł spent: as you can imagine, this draws some interest. In summary, AA's domestic 2000+ mile F transcons when embedded in a SJU or HNL route offer the best value by a considerable margin.

Last edited by Calchas; Dec 9, 2013 at 5:47 am
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Incredible research! Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:33 am

Great resource!

Dear Prospero, Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to put together this really useful resource, which is guaranteed to be added to every frequent flyer's bookmark list.

P.S.: Just for your information, HRE is listed twice on the JNB avios map.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marconi
Dear Prospero, Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to put together this really useful resource, which is guaranteed to be added to every frequent flyer's bookmark list.

P.S.: Just for your information, HRE is listed twice on the JNB avios map.
Welcome to FlyerTalk marconi.

Would you believe me if I told you I actually corrected the HRE, and WDK errors over the weekend. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I forgot to up load the revised diagram.

Now that I have the process down to a fine art, I will add more hubs. If anyone as any specific focus airports they'd like included, eg. DEL or SIN, please call them out.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Would you believe me if I told you I actually corrected the HRE, and WDK errors over the weekend. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I forgot to up load the revised diagram.

Now that I have the process down to a fine art, I will add more hubs. If anyone as any specific focus airports they'd like included, eg. DEL or SIN, please call them out.
Prospero, you're a star! ^
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is fantastic! Thanks for volunteering for yet more work.

Last edited by Calchas; Dec 10, 2013 at 2:09 pm
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold

Prospero, wasn't going to ask for outstations....but SIN would be great as that's where I'm based.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:51 am

This is fantastic and very helpful, thank you Prospero.

I was doing some similar research earlier this year before booking a redemption trip for next September. Ended up with NRT-PVG-HKG-SGN-SIN-BKK-NRT, based around the Singapore GP with a few days in each location, for only a few more avios than NRT-SIN return. I love this kind of trip so really looking forward to it.

It would be quite simple to create a small program to calculate & display the different options for avios redemptions based on the routing entered... I shouldn't be volunteering but if it would help the Avios/FT community I'd be willing to do it if we could collaborate on the (vast!) data entry required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.